MyCloud Device Disconnects Itself from the Network Daily

Hi Everyone,

I have a brand new 4TB version of the MyCloud device and have noticed that it disconnects from my network daily. Every morning, I have noticed that I cannot access the drive as it appears offline. Everything else in my network appeears to be working!

Here are the basics of my device:

4TB MyCloud device

Running the latest firmware (v03.04.01-230)

Plugged into my Linksys WiFi Router (N750 - EA3500) via an ethernet cable

No other external drives are plugged into the back

I have turned off the Drive Sleep

I found two previous threads that talked about this issue. However, it appears that there was no solution found.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you manage it? How did you resolve it?

Thanks,

–Juggy

Same issue here. One of the threads was closed without any official solution; the other was closed after WD people collected data from users, from what I remember.

The second thread was opened by Bill_S and closed by daytrdr on March 6th, 2014, stating that they were working on a solution. Any news on that?

I’m experiencing disconnections every few minutes. It is being impossible to copy contents to the disk. I don’t even try media streaming because of this issue.

Rafael

So thankfully my device is able to hold a connection for the better part of the day…

However, every morning I wake up and I cannot see the device. It’s like there’s a daily process that runs that basically says to disconnect from the network…

This is really frustrating and unacceptable given that this is supposed to be a network storage solution!

Moderators – Please do NOT close out this thread until a solution is ACTUALLY found! Instead of closing it, can you at least provide a suitable workaround? And please don’t tell me to perform a hard reset each morning. That is a terrible workaround.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue.

Mine disconnects after my wife’s MacBook starts its Time Machine backup process.  As soon as it starts copying over to the Time Machine share on the MyCloud device, the Time Machine log lists a couple “Waiting for index to be ready” errors and then the MyCloud drops from the network and requires a hard reboot to reattach.  I’ve never had Time Machine successfully work with MyCloud.  

It’s a bad error and I’m hoping for a solution from WD.

Just to add to the thread (and serve as a warning to others!)

I’ve decided to do a full complete factory reset of the 4Tb MyCloud device. Since it seems I will lose whatever I have on the disk I’ve started copying what I added to the disk to another, external 2Tb disk.

MyCloud device is connected to an Apple Airport Time Capsule. The laptop I use is also connected to the Time Capsule via ethernet cable. The disk that will receive my precious files is connected to the laptop via a USB cable. Eveything is local.

Copying from the MyCloud device to the USB-mounted disk is very slow AND unreliable – I’ve started this 30 minutes ago and already got two disconnections from the MyCloud. 

The user interface at http://WDMyCloud keeps showing me “Error” in the Content Scan box. 

All the time I can hear the noise from the MyCloud disk – it seems that the disk is spinning and doing something to my files (indexing them?) but it does not let me copy reliably the files to another external disk.

I am very frustrated. I bought this to be a home-only media server and I cannot reliably access my files on it, not even for a backup. I am quite sure it is NOT a hard disk issue, but the media server and other stuff are actively preventing me to access my files.

Any suggestions on how to get the files back from this device?

Juggy007 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a brand new 4TB version of the MyCloud device and have noticed that it disconnects from my network daily. Every morning, I have noticed that I cannot access the drive as it appears offline. Everything else in my network appeears to be working!

Here are the basics of my device:

4TB MyCloud device

Running the latest firmware (v03.04.01-230)

Plugged into my Linksys WiFi Router (N750 - EA3500) via an ethernet cable

No other external drives are plugged into the back

I have turned off the Drive Sleep

I found two previous threads that talked about this issue. However, it appears that there was no solution found.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you manage it? How did you resolve it?

Thanks,

–Juggy

Hello guys,

This case is currently under investigation.

1 Like

Sorry for replying to my own post – just complementing, yesterday I’ve started a basic system diagnostics test and it is still running (16 hours later). The “content scan error” is also intermittent – sometimes it shows how many media files I have but not all are indexed, then switch to error again.

I am also getting LOTS of errors like

• Unable to retrieve data. Make sure there are no network connectivity issues and try again. (200005)
1 Like

Rafael_Santos wrote:

Same issue here. One of the threads was closed without any official solution; the other was closed after WD people collected data from users, from what I remember.

The second thread was opened by Bill_S and closed by daytrdr on March 6th, 2014, stating that they were working on a solution. Any news on that?

I’m experiencing disconnections every few minutes. It is being impossible to copy contents to the disk. I don’t even try media streaming because of this issue.

Rafael

We are looking into this. 

Hello ERmorel,

Thanks for the update. Can you provide any additional updates on this issue? Is there any additional information that I can provide to help debug/investigate this issue?

Thanks again,

–Juggy

I have bought the MyCloud 4T for three weeks, I am facing the same problem, it disconnects daily from day one.  I have changed a new MyCloud 4T from distributor, but it still disconnects daily.  I feel very frustrated.  I want my money back!

After I got the new MyCloud 4T from distributor.  I only did the following basic settings, but it still disconnects.

• Create two new Shares (Shares name: HomeShare and Media)

• Setting of new created Shares (HomeShare): Media Serving: OFF, Public Access: OFF

• Setting of new created Shares (Media): Media Serving: OFF, Public Access: ON

• Still keep Public, SmartWare and TimeMachineBackup folders

• upload personal photos and videos to HomeShare (238GB, 98580 files and 1196 folders)

• upload MP3 files to Media (87.2GB, 13986 files and 1274 folders)

• Create one user with password, and allow full access the new created folders (HomeShare)

• Add four cloud accesses for iPhone (WD Photos, WD My Cloud) and Android Tablet (WD Photos, WD My Cloud)

• Change the Device Name and Description

• Language set to English

• Time Zone change to GMT +08:00

• NTP Service: ON (Default)

• Remote Access: ON  (Default)

• Drive Sleep: ON  (Default)

• LED: ON  (Default)

• Time Machine: ON (Default)

• Network Static IP

• SSH, FTP Access: OFF (Default)

• Media Streaming: ON (Default)

• iTunes Server: ON (Default)

• Alert Emails: OFF (Default)

• Enable Auto Update: OFF (Default)

This is very annoying, but since I cannot return my device I have to keep trying to make it at least usable as a local backup device.

I know that the WD people are looking at this problem, but I cannot just wait idly.

Does anyone knows which logs I could look at to see information about the disconnection? 

Same here.

Blue Led. Can’t find the cloud after a while. Power unplugging required.

Iv’e stopped using the device, waiting for an answer with all of you… :cry:

I am experiencing the same problem…I’m just attaching myself to this thread to keep updated.

As a note, I am unable to access from my laptop (Sony; Windows 8.1) as well as my iPhone/iPad.  All software/firmware up-to-date…purchased last week

I’m having a similar issue with one of my drives. I have one connected to a netgear router and I don’t have any issue when I’m on the same network but my remote access gets disabled after a day or so. I have another drive at home that is on a 2wire router and I have never had this issue with that drive. If I restart the drive my remote access returns instantly but will become disabled over time. Any ideas??

I recently purchase the MyCloud. I synced my mac through Time Machine once. Then I get to work and it says it can’t back up (because I am not connected to the same wifi/local network). That makes sense.

What doesn’t make sense is that when I return home, MyCloud won’t reconnect to the network and sync. Please advise. 

since it happens to you on a daily basis i think your ISP disconnects you every 24h to reset your IP.

after that maybe the mycloud starts indexing the contend again and in my case with a usb disc attached mine goes to nirvana. only cutting the power helps temporarly - pressing reset does nothing…

I bought 4TB WD My Cloud and I also have the same issue! It dissapears from network after some time and only way to get it back online is to unplug and plug it in again! This doesn’t suppose to happen in cloud! I thought they fixed that in february, when they closed thread about it, but no! The issue is still existing, 4 months later!!!

I too have had the same network issue. I have enabled static ip instead of DHCP and the drive has been up for 48 hours without network issues.

Been there - WD replaced it - huge struggle. The new one was up for 48 hours and then promptly diconnected itself as well. Blue light on but missing from the list of connected equipmenton the router interface. I didn’t even try to reset it this time round - I am now trying to get a refund from the dealer. It seams that WD is happy to send out as many broken NAS systems as they can and expect us to soak test them.

Forget about this static IP adressing nonsense. We’ve all been there. Some troll has started this nonsence to keep us all busy. It makes absolutely no diffirence.  If you like to go through WD’s return system a couple of times - that is an option - perhaps you are lucky and get one that works. I’ve been unlucky twice. Best option is to return it to where you bought it immediatly - then you still have the option of swapping it there and then till you are lucky - or otherwise put your money back in the bank. Thinking that WD will soak test one specially for you before sending it out is a vein hope. There are too many of us with this excact problem.