Delete one file within folder

Hi,

I tried to delete one file within a folder using my cloud app on a windows machine. Instead of deleting the one file it actually deleted the whole folder with 25GB of data. Is this a well known problem? Any idea how I can access the data again?

Thanks!

I just tried deleteing a file using http://wd2go.com/ and the android app and they both worked fine

Please provide aditional details of excacly what you used to do this and the steps you used

did it delete a folder within the share or the entire share?

what firmware version are you on?

if it is a bug preventing you from seeing it then a reboot from the mycloud console may help

if it actually deleted the entire folder there is no easy way fo get it back

Larryg0, thanks for coming back to me.

I am currently on firmware V03.04.01-230

I didnt do anything except from deleting one file from a folder within public folder. After delete was finished the whole folder was gone. This was on a windows computer at work. I run os x at home + iphone, ipad and havent seen this before. With that said I have only played with it a couple of days now.

I tried to restart by the way, did not work. I currently updating the firmware, maybe that will do the trick. The data was not important, but starting to get cold feet using this disk for more serious work…

I would not update the firmware yet.

I just got the mycloud a week ago and assumed getting the latest FW would be a good idea. it was not, i have since downgraded.

whats wrong with the new firmware. Just installed it!!

Are you comfortable using SSH to directly access the mycloud?

if so you can try ls -la /shares/Public to see if the folder is really gone. Linux is case sensitive and I think I have the proper case here but i am not home so can’t verify it.

if the share is really gone there is not much that can be done.

are you positive the file was selected at the time and not the folder? or possible the wrong window was active when you hit the delete key? not trying to insult you but it happens to everyone at some point.

larryg0 wrote:

are you positive the file was selected at the time and not the folder? or possible the wrong window was active when you hit the delete key? not trying to insult you but it happens to everyone at some point.

That was actually going to be my guess.   Someone else reported trying to MOVE a file, but let the mouse slip outside the window, and it then grabbed the whole folder as well, and the whole folder moved.

I can imagine the same thing happening with a delete.

there seems to be a lot of issues, mainly performance with its indexing and thumbnail generation making the device virtually unusable while it runs, which can be a very long time like multiple days.

there are a lot of posts on this here.

if you have few if any media files on it I doubt if you will have any issues with it.

since you already installed it jsut see how it goes for you but you may wind up downgrading it too

I don’t think i selected the folder but I cannot rule it out.

Okay everything going much slower here! How do I downgrade? Can I manually update to a lower version trough my cloud?

There are a number of posts on here about this, i included 2 links below. the 1st methode is what I used however the 2nd methode looks to be easier however I believe you said you are using Apple and I have no idea if there is an equivlent to winscp for it

Proceede at you own risk, if you are comfortable with Unix/Linux it is very easy if not use extra caution

1st methode

2nd methode

Thanks Larry

I have my work machine running windows so I will go for option two.

Thanks again

I have now used SSH and checked the public share. Could not find the folder that is missing. Hopefully I did wrong when I tried to delete the file rather than this being a serious bug in the program…

Now at least I’m back on the older firmware and downloading is quick again:)