Copy files from smartphone to device attached to WDTV

Hi,

I´m aware the are some apps that let you use your smartphone as remote controle or stream videos from usb devices attached to your wdtv to your phone. I am simply trying to copy a file via w-lan from my Galaxy S4 smartphone to the usb deviced attached to my wdtv but i can´t open a connection. The only connection I´m able to open is the one to my D-Link internet router but that´s it.

Can someone give me an advice?

Have you enabled the file server in the WD?

Yes I did. A wired LAN connection between the WDTV and my router that is also connected to my computer works fine an I can copy files from there to the USB Storage my WDTV ist connected with. I want to do the same thing with my smartphone and the wdtv over wireless lan.

Can someone give me an advice?

I presume you want to do this via the WD’s File Mgmt option.  I don’t believe it is possible, because in this mode, the WD only sees network shares, and the phone (or iPad, etc) can’t be set to be a network share.  So, suggest you get the video off the phone to your PC, and then copy it from PC to WDTV drive.

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion. That´s too bad, I payed so much money for that smartphone and still everything is easier with a 7 year old Computer.

As your galaxy s4 is an android device. You could use something like es explorer to connect to the address of your player on the network and then you would see the USB device connected to the player. If you don’t know the address of the player you could use the fing app to scan for addresses on your network. You can also scan for the address within the es explorer app.

You then copy the file on your phone and paste to the USB device connected to your player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=ends

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en_GB 

Ryu87 wrote:

Thank you for your opinion. That´s too bad, I payed so much money for that smartphone and still everything is easier with a 7 year old Computer.

A phone and a computer are two entirely different things, and price has nothing to do with what they can and cannot do.

Anyway, try Rich’s idea and see if it works.

mike27oct wrote:

A phone and a computer are two entirely different things, and price has nothing to do with what they can and cannot do.

Anyway, try Rich’s idea and see if it works.

It does and works perfectly, Rich’s advice is spot on. No need for a PC, you can easily copy files from an Android phone / tablet to your SMP

First note though, this really has nothing to do with your WD SMP. It’s simply a matter of you connecting your Android device to a share, one that just happens to be on your SMP. If you can connect and copy a file from a PC to the drive on your SMP, then you can do it on your Android device with the correct tool.

RichUK gave you all the info you need, but since I am just relaxing and watching some football and fiddling around on the laptop, I’ll outline it with some pics for you to make it really easy.

ES File Explorer is simply one of the greatest tools I have ever used for Android. I installed it the first day I got my Nexus 7 based on the amount of positive reviews, and I use it pretty much non-stop to access files. It can do pretty much every file management task you could want to do with your phone or tablet. I am sure there are other great file management tools out there, but ES is the only one I have tried since I have not come across something it doesn’t do that I need.

So…Install ES File Explorer. It’s free and it is a “Must Have” app for Android.

From picture below.

In this example, I am copying a movie from my Nexus 7 to a directory on my WD.

Open the application on your Android device:

1) Open folder that contains file you want to move/copy etc
2) Select the  file by pressing down on it for a few seconds. (if you just tap it, it will attempt to open)
3 ) Hit the “more” button on bottom right of screen. A menu will come up where you can select “Copy To”
4) You will be returned to the file manager screen. Navigate to the folder that you want to copy the file to. Can be on your local device, a folder in a share on another machine, or even cloud drive. In  your case, choose the WD device.
5) Hit “OK”, and wait for file to be copied to your WD SMP.

That’s it. As above, this is an awesome app. You are encountering one of the things that makes Android great. “Other” pads and phones decide where things are supposed to be, and how you can get to them. Android lets you manage your own file system as long as you have the tools installed. I don’t want my tablet to decide where it’s going to put a song or a document. I’ll handle that myself. 

Good luck

-P

1 Like

Pearl, you earned a Kudo from me for this post!

I had installed ES FIle Explorer on my still kinda new Kindle Fire HD, but had barely used it, and your post inspired me to try what you described.  As a test, I just finished sending an m4v file on the Kindle to one of my WDTV drives.  Very cool.  I easily followed your instructions, but when I got to Step 4, I was stumped as to how you got to your WD player.  Google to the rescue.  Seems you left out a step about how to access (and scan for) your LAN with ES File Explorer.  One of the first links I found explained it well enough here:   http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69527

It all made sense, and I was up and running in no time.  You might want to edit your instructions to include how to access (and scan for) the LAN via the app.  Of course, all this pre-supposes one has their network up and running, which we with a WD player have done. 

So, I have been banging around my whole network for a while, exploring with the app on my Kindle.  Since my Pogoplug is shared on my network, I could access the drives, and even my PP cloud drive to play a video just as I as I can with the dedicated PP app. 

Thanks for helping the guy with his question, (and me, too!).  So, I stand corrected once again – it CAN be done!

Do you mean this bit.

With an established wifi lan all that was necessary for me to connect to it was turn on Wifi on my SGP5.0, start ES File Explorer, click on Lan in ESFE, and then click on scan. All of the network addresses come up on the screen and you click in the one that will take you to the PC, laptop, or device that is currently on the network. Then all the shared folders will be shown. If you have no established and working wifi network there is no point to trying to connect to anything by wifi LAN.

The only problem with scanning in es explorer is that it comes up with multiple addresses if you have a number of devices on your network. That’s why I suggested the fing app where the addresses are shown together with a description of the device. That way you know that you are accessing the correct device.

Sorry Mike et al. I have to be honest, I didn’t really recall scanning my net, and the interface has changed dramatically since I first installed ES. When I just choose “lan” I just see a list of  all my computers. Now after reading your and Rich’s post though, I remember doing a lanscan at some point when I installed the app, and adding the netbios names of each machines so I wouldn’t have to look at them as IP adresses.

Nice program though eh?

-P

ES on Android - I agree great program.

For those of you with iOS I highly recommend FileBrowser Pro.

slip

@Slip

Are you referring to Remote File Browser Pro by VietMobile?

I also googled for “es file explorer for ipad” and came up with some useful hits such as Best iPad File Managers: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide - AppAdvice . Does anyone have any recommendations from this list?

richUK wrote:

Do you mean this bit.

With an established wifi lan all that was necessary for me to connect to it was turn on Wifi on my SGP5.0, start ES File Explorer, click on Lan in ESFE, and then click on scan. All of the network addresses come up on the screen and you click in the one that will take you to the PC, laptop, or device that is currently on the network. Then all the shared folders will be shown. If you have no established and working wifi network there is no point to trying to connect to anything by wifi LAN.

The only problem with scanning in es explorer is that it comes up with multiple addresses if you have a number of devices on your network. That’s why I suggested the fing app where the addresses are shown together with a description of the device. That way you know that you are accessing the correct device.

Yes, I mean “this bit”.

Also, multiple addresses doesn’t seem to be much of an issue for me.  See screenshot of my Kindle running ESFE after going into LAN access and tapping Scan:  Nice and clean.  It shows all my shared devices.

The first two IP addresses are my two Live Plus units, the two labeled Epson are two wireless printers, then my laptop PC and last, the router (which has a drive attached).

PEARL:  how did you do this:  “and adding the netbios names of each machines so I wouldn’t have to look at them as IP adresses.”

Nope,

This one:

http://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/support/fb_guide.php?page=guide&section=openin

slip

1 Like

@slip

Great program, FileBrowser.  I have used this program for a few years on the iPad (mostly to access music and videos to stream on iPad) and I cannot see that it works the same as ESFE (to copy files from the iPad to another device and vice versa) as we have been discussing here about the Android devices using ESFE.  If you know how, please explain.

Duh, I think I just figured out how.  I just copied a short video file from a network drive to FB’s  “My Files” on iPad.   Nevertheless, explain it anyway for me and others reading this.  Is My Files the only (or best) place things can be copied to in FB?

These apps can do so many things, and just figuring it all out is a task unto itself!

You get a Kudo friom me!

mike27oct wrote:

PEARL:  how did you do this:  “and adding the netbios names of each machines so I wouldn’t have to look at them as IP adresses.”

Press down on the icon for the device you want to rename. It will become highlighted and a check will be in a box next to the name. At the bottom of the screen there will now be a button for “rename”. Hit that and add the computer name, and from then forward you will see that instead of the IP address in the view you are using which appears to be “medium icon”. If you use one of the “detail views”, you will see both the name and the address.

-P

Cool, it’s done!  Thanks!

So, while you guys have been helping me with this stuff, I have been helping a guy in the Pogoplug Forum to see his PP drives on his Mac (even though I don’t have a Mac).  He wrote back, “It worked!”.  Aren’t Help forums handy!

Now, I better go get some “real work” completed today!

Being an iOS device you are always going to be limited by Apple’s ridiculous sandbox approach.

Inevitably you have to jump through a few hoops to achieve your goals (which of course on an Android are a lot more straight-forward)

So deep breath - here goes…

* Open iTunes with your iPad or iPhone connected and selected.

* Click the Apps button at the top and scroll down.

* Click on the FileBrowser icon on the left

* Click the “Add…” button in iTunes or drag the files from a Mac Finder or Windows Explorer window into the “FileBrowser Documents” window

Note:

In FileBrowser, any files that you have placed in the “iTunes Sync” location will be available to copy from your iPad or iPhone to any drive or folder that FileBrowser can connect to.

* In FileBrowser create a ‘New Location’ - Select Locations & press the ‘+’ button

* In the setup panel select the type of device you want to connect to. For the WDTV I have used PC

* Enter the IP Address or Name. In my case this is \WDTVLiveFamily.local or enter an IP address

* Enter the user name to connect - admin (default)

* Enter the password

* Display Name - give the connection a friendly name

I can’t remember if I had to change any of the advanced settings but for completeness these are mine:

Enable NetBIOS - Off

Compatibility Mode - Off

Auto List Shares - On

Auto Connect VPN - Off

Auto Connect URL - Auto

SMB Pipelining - On

SMB - Port No. - 445

* Press [Save]

Once setup simply click the WDTV Location you have just created and any attached storage on the WD will be visible in the right hand panel

To copy files from your iDevice to the WDTV:

* Select the iTunes Sync folder and you should see the files you added using iTunes earlier.

* Select the options arrow [>] on the file you wish to copy - don’t press the file name or it will start to play

* Select Copy from the menu - FileBrowser will prompt you here - but select OK to complete the copy

* Browse to the attached storage on the WDTV and paste using the [Menu] button on the toolbar in the right hand panel

Hope this helps

slip

slip.cougan wrote:

Being an iOS device you are always going to be limited by Apple’s ridiculous sandbox approach.

Inevitably you have to jump through a few hoops to achieve your goals (which of course on an Android are a lot more straight-forward)

So deep breath - here goes…

* Open iTunes with your iPad or iPhone connected and selected.

* Click the Apps button at the top and scroll down.

* Click on the FileBrowser icon on the left

* Click the “Add…” button in iTunes or drag the files from a Mac Finder or Windows Explorer window into the “FileBrowser Documents” window

Note:

In FileBrowser, any files that you have placed in the “iTunes Sync” location will be available to copy from your iPad or iPhone to any drive or folder that FileBrowser can connect to.

* In FileBrowser create a ‘New Location’ - Select Locations & press the ‘+’ button

* In the setup panel select the type of device you want to connect to. For the WDTV I have used PC

* Enter the IP Address or Name. In my case this is \WDTVLiveFamily.local or enter an IP address

* Enter the user name to connect - admin (default)

* Enter the password

* Display Name - give the connection a friendly name

I can’t remember if I had to change any of the advanced settings but for completeness these are mine:

Enable NetBIOS - Off

Compatibility Mode - Off

Auto List Shares - On

Auto Connect VPN - Off

Auto Connect URL - Auto

SMB Pipelining - On

SMB - Port No. - 445

* Press [Save]

Once setup simply click the WDTV Location you have just created and any attached storage on the WD will be visible in the right hand panel

To copy files from your iDevice to the WDTV:

* Select the iTunes Sync folder and you should see the files you added using iTunes earlier.

* Select the options arrow [>] on the file you wish to copy - don’t press the file name or it will start to play

* Select Copy from the menu - FileBrowser will prompt you here - but select OK to complete the copy

* Browse to the attached storage on the WDTV and paste using the [Menu] button on the toolbar in the right hand panel

Hope this helps

slip

I am now reminded of why I don’t use apple products.  :smileyvery-happy: