Constant compiling after connecting two drives (1 each) to the two USB ports

Can anybody tell me why the WDTV Live constantly compiles and runs very slow now that I’ve connected a second drive to the unit? 

I use two 3TB Toshiba drives and the WDTV Live does not work well with them both connected.  When only one drive is connected the system works ok, but often lags in the menu control.  When 2 drives are connected - it hardly runs at all! It compiles constantly and will sometimes display only one of the drives.  I then have to use the menu to find the other drive - that’s if it finds the drive at all.  When 2 drives are connected the menu lag becomes extreme and the WD TV Live malfunctions in every operation.

My set-up is very simple: I connect my drives directly to the WDTV live and have ZERO networking going on. The WDTV live is connected to the TV thru HDMI…THAT’s It!!!

Can somebody tell me how to make the WDTV Live work correctly with the two drives connected?

Hello there,

What firmware version are you using on your unit? You can try to reset the unit to see if after the reset the system does respond slowly when you have 2 drives connected. Also try to disable the media library on the setting to see if the unit behaves the same.

Here is a link that will help you setup disable the media library:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf# page=53 

Thanks for the reply!

The Device info says 2.02.32.  I did try resetting but it did not solve the problem.  I didn’t turn off the compiling because I thought that it was needed for adding new movies. I will try turning it off though.  If off, do I then turn it on only when adding new material?

The Media Library doesn’t need to be “On” when adding new content.

New content will be detected even with the Media Library “Off”

Think of the Media Library in “Off” mode as … " File Mode"    meaning, the ability to scrape metadata (thumbnails,movie info etc) is “Disabled” and also searching by Genre,Actor,Director is also disabled along with the ability to “Favorite or Rate” a movie is also disabled.

One question…  have you got any PC data on either of these HDD’s  (eg.PC backup data) ?

If so, then either remove them … or “hide” them from scanning on the WDTV by putting them in a “Dot” folder

more explanation here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WD-TV-LIVE-Problem-with-last-upgrade-or-HD-External/td-p/809169/page/2

Thanks again! …took a minute to get back to you due to holiday.  I don’t have any other type of data on the drives. I only have m4v and a few mKv files.  I use apple computers so my drives are apple formatted.  They’ve worked well for over a year and I never have a problem until I hook up both 3TB HDD’s to the WD TV Live.

I tried doing the things that were suggested but none fixed the problem.  I was wondering if using a USB hub would solve it?

Also, since the update weird things happen from time to time with the WD TV Live.  In the middle of watching a file, the device may freeze up so bad that I have to unplug it and start over.  I’ve look through the entire drive to make sure that there is no stray junk on the drive (there isn’t and the drives were bought brand new and have never been used for any other purpose).  There is only m4v, mKv, and metadata on the drives.

I like the WD TV Live and I only play my personally owned movies on it. I don’t network it or even use the internet apps. I just want to figure out how to get it to perform reliably. If anyone has any suggestions for how to do so I would appreciate it, even if it means redoing my approach. 

Also, it seems to only like one 3TB drive attached. I was wondering what is the largest capacity drive that can be used?  Maybe I could find a really large single HDD instead of two 3TB HDD’s (or one of those server set-ups?).  Any help appreciated :smiley:!

PS. Does anybody know if WD is developing a better device? I’d pay a lot more money for the same type of device with a great processor and the reliabilty & simplicity of a DVD/Blu-ray player. I was hoping that something was in the works???

Us too but nobody knows what (if anything) WD is up to.