Connection status failed

Finally today my cloud access status is showing as below and I am able to access the device remotely over Internet. Hence, believe issue which was at WD server end is resolved for now for me atleast. Can you please check at your end and confirm.

Cloud Access Status

Connection Status - Connected (Relay connection established
1 Like

I cant connect from phone application. Very difficult from My Cloud sign in.

Android My Cloud app working, but slow on cellular data. Probably more problems on WD’s side, again. The connection status of the My Cloud Dashboard indicates relay connection established but port forwarding failed to connect. Last time it indicated this (over a week ago) was during the big outage.

Mine says it is connected and working, but isn’t working for me. The phone app is back to showing errors when trying to access. Last time the errors were only when remote, but this time the app doesn’t even work locally for me. I get the same error when local, cellular or WiFi at a remote location.

Attempted a local connection as I typed this. The error is:
“Network connection failure (907)”

Remote attempt results in:
“Remote access disabled. (970)”

The “Cloud Access” on the device dashboard currently says:
“Cloud access is now available from your device.”

This is getting a bit redic, and WD support has been Zero help. Tried all the fixes here, still cant log into the website My Cloud OS3 End of Service | Western Digital , Same errors as most of you have. I can still access the dashboard by typing in the IP address, but no matter what I do, cant connect to the web portal. Anyone know of a fix, before I throw this thing about the window?

What specific fixes have you tried?

• Have you tried turning off remote access/cloud access in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes, then turning it back on?
  • Have you tried changing the remote access/cloud access option from auto to manual, then setting alternate ports (8080 and 4443 for example) and configuring port forwarding to the My Cloud within the network router?
  • Does the My Cloud have a reserved or static IP address?
  • After logging into the mycloud.com web portal and getting the error message, have you clicked on the “gear” icon to the right of the My Cloud in the left hand column to refresh the list of available My Cloud devices? One can then select the available device that doesn’t say offline.

Thanks @bennor.

I have tried all of those except port forwarding. Port forwarding is not safe, and I have never had to do this before to reach my cloud oustide of my network.

Its a static IP.

The gear icon always says disconnected (even though like i said before) I can type in the IP, and even mount one of hte folders and drag and drop to it. But the gear always says disconnected.

Generally when one sets the My Cloud cloud access from auto to manual they must also enable port forwarding within their router, otherwise the traffic is not forwarded from the internet to the My Cloud.

Fact is that some have to use the manual setting due to their ISP/broadband provider blocking the default ports of 80 and 443 used by the My Cloud.

Port forwarding is as safe as the security settings on the device one is forwarding the port to.

Edit to add: As I understand it the auto setting on the My Cloud tries to use UPnP on the router. If that feature is disabled or not present on the router one may have potential issues using the auto setting for My Cloud remote access/cloud access. Some recommend disabling UPnP on the router since it presents a potential security risk.

I appreciate the response. But strange, how this has been working forever until a few weeks ago. Never had to port fwd, and UPNP def turned off as its a huge security risk. No other changes in network. Also getting the same 907 error on the android APP (which has never really worked well in the past)

3.4.2020 and the problem still. I bought this bull sit (MyCloud EX2 Ultra) and never worked. Before I throw this thing out of the window or smash it on the wall can WD cut the drugs an take clear position to this situation, else give our money back. Android aplication never worked. Do not ever, ever, ever buy WD!!! for those searching for a cloud.

Are you sure you have the remote access setup properly and enabled?
Have you tried turning off remote access, waiting a few minutes, then re-enabling it?
Have you tried using the manual option with alternate ports rather than auto and setup port forwarding with your router to the My Cloud?
If using the auto setting do you have UPnP support enabled within the router?

Currently both MyCloud.com and the Android app are working without issue for remote access to my first gen My cloud setup with manual access on ports 8080 and 4443.

Bennor are you WD’s employ?
Has anybody told you that we bought a brand new product to make all this things? If all things have to be done then WD should already take care about that and send an update resolve this problems. Maybe you have not read all this topics people having connection problem. Maybe all of us are sithead and you are wise.
I have tried all this things you discribe but nothing happens. That is the reason everybody pays for dropbox.
We can establish a TeamViewer connection to check it from my laptop whenever you want.
And do not forget to write tha you are from WD not just a member.

Nope, not a WD employee. Just an end user customer like almost everyone else here. Currently (this morning) MyCloud.com and the WD My Cloud app for Android are working for me. YMMV

The fact is, that one generally has to do some configuration within the My Cloud Dashboard in order to get Remote Access/Cloud Access working properly. Fact is that one’s ISP/broadband provider may block the default ports needed by the remote access feature of the My Cloud which forces users to setup the Manual option for remote access. Fact is one’s router could potentially cause remote access issues depending on it’s settings. The My Cloud remote access feature is not a plug and play option.

Like many others, I too have had remote access problems over the years with the single bay/single drive My Cloud unit. The week long plus outage a week or two ago was not my first experience with an outage. I’ve been through enough WD back end remote access outages that I’ve gone to using VPN as a backup to the My Cloud remote access feature. For users with multi bay My Cloud models they may have additional My Cloud Dashboard remote access options (SFTP, WebDAV, etc.) than we single bay users do not have.

In many cases simply turning off remote access and turning it back on within the My Cloud Dashboard will fix quite a few people’s issues as it will reestablish the remote access tunnel with WD’s back end servers. Other times the additional suggestions I mentioned may be needed.

Often people come to this board, voice their issues/complaints without detailing what exact troubleshooting steps they’ve tried. My post offered up some troubleshooting steps that typically help resolve some of the remote access issues many of us have experienced. But at the end of the day, YMMV.

I started to get the “Connection Status failed” a couple of days ago. I was able to connect to the NAS from desktop or web admin, but iOS app could not connect. After 2 long days of investigation, I finally find out this is caused by a WD error. In order to establish connection to WD servers, the system executes the /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/updateremote.sh. This script retrieves a list of relay servers from WD and a CA certificate as well. You can get the same list using your browser - simply go to https://www.wd2go.com/api/1.0/rest/relay_server?format=openvpn . The last element of the output is the closing tag for element. However, that closing tag uses a backslash instead of the forward slash. This subtle mistake causes openvpn to fail and the ex2 cannot connect to WD servers, even if your internet connection is fine. I suspect this script is called for RELAY connections only, so it might not be the root cause for everyone. I’m new to the forum, so I’m not sure how to get someone from WD to fix that REST call.

I’m still unable to connect remotely. Who is still experiencing this issue?

I’ve had issues for days. Been getting help from WD support but nothing working. Connection failed.

I’ll add this to my support email trail.

Did you manage to correct the script or do WD need to do this? Are you back connected?

The whole point of the MyCloud is for end users to avoid having to do this. I have 5 mycloud devices at 4 different locations and all are offline right now!

The My Cloud remote access feature is what it is. It is dependent on one’s ISP/broadband provider not to block access and it is dependent (more or less) on WD to keep their end of the system up and running properly.

Sometimes a simple disable, several minute pause, then reenable of the remote access option in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings is enough to clear a failure to connect message in the Dashboard > Settings remote access status field. Other times one has to move the remote access setting from auto to manual and specify alternate ports, and enable port forwarding for those alternate ports within their router.

Or one can bypass WD and use alternate methods of secure access that don’t rely on WD. From using SFTP to using VPN. But those generally require additional knowledge and skill to setup. Yes, a My Cloud customer shouldn’t have to resort to such alternate methods of access, but its up to the end user if they want to be proactive or reactive when WD has issues on their end and or remote access stops working after trying all the usual troubleshooting steps.

This will always be a potential problem any time remote access for a NAS (WD or others) goes through the manufacturer’s systems rather than a direct connection/tunnel from remote site to local NAS bypassing the manufacturer.