Connection status failed

WD needs to fix their server. But I managed to modify the script in my box so that it replaces the '' (backslash) with a ‘/’ (forward slash) and Cloud Access is now working fine. This is a work-around, however, and it involves modifying files the end-user is not supposed to touch. So, officially, we need to get WD to fix their server.

more info on this?

ive been trying for weeks now, and wd tech support is pretty lack luster.

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PORT FORWARD, or turn on UPNP.

This has worked fine for years without, and now its stopped, as they have changed somthing on the server side.

I ended up opening a support incident myself. I managed to get pass the first few “standard troubleshooting” messages and had a live chat conversation with a WD representative on Saturday. He initially said he would not be able to help me, because I’m not a US resident (live chat is for US/Canada res only), but I convinced him there’s an issue with wd2go.com that is probably affecting several other users around the world. He said he would forward my findings to engineering team, but no time frame has been given. Now I can only hope someone at WD takes a look at this on Monday.

Thanks,

I emailed them as well, from an older tech support email thread. I also referenced this thread as well. We can only hope someone from WD can solve this.

Where did you modify it? Could you please explain me? Thanks a lot!

Sure!

But please note: YOU’LL BE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. The usual disclaimer applies: changing system files via ssh voids your warranty and it may render your device unusable in case you do something wrong. Also, the instructions below are for the WD MyCloud Ex2 device. If the contents of the script you’re about to edit don’t match the lines in the instructions below, please DON’T EDIT THE FILE.

Scary disclaimer apart, the instructions are really simple (but they require knowledge of very basic Unix commands and how to use vi for editing files):

1 - ssh into you device (if you don’t know what ssh is or you don’t know how to enable it on your NAS, there are plenty of threads in this community that teach you about it)
2 - change to the /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient directory
3 - make a backup copy of the existing updateremote.sh file
4 - open the updateremote.sh file using vi
5 - go to the end of the file and delete the 4 lines below:
SRV=`cat /tmp/relayServers`
sed -e “s/remote host port/$SRV/g” client.ovpn.tpl > /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/client.ovpn
logger -p local0.info “updateremote.sh: got relay servers from central server url $centralServerUrl.”
rm /tmp/relayServers

6 - insert the following 6 lines just where the deleted lines above were
SRV=`cat /tmp/relayServers`
sed -e “s/remote host port/$SRV/g” client.ovpn.tpl > /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/client.ovpn1
sed -e ‘s/<\\ca>/<\/ca>/g’ /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/client.ovpn1 > /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/client.ovpn
logger -p local0.info “updateremote.sh: got relay servers from central server url $centralServerUrl.”
rm /tmp/relayServers
rm /usr/local/orion/openvpnclient/client.ovpn1

7 - save your file and exit vi (at this point you’re done with ssh)
8 - now disable Cloud Service and re-enable it right afterwards (this is done on the Dashboard - the web admin page - under the ‘Settings’ tab, section ‘Cloud Access’)
9 - if everything goes right, the ‘Connection Status’ changes to ‘Ready’ and you should get Cloud Access working again

Hope this helps. (I haven’t published this before in the hope WD would quickly address the issue. But that didn’t happen :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Still nothing works for me. Even the 192.168.1.1. Everything lost.

Thanks a lot Keigo!
The hardest part for me will be to instruct my wife to do these changes :smiley:
Unluckily I’m far away from home (■■■■ COVID-19!)

Incident Update

Reference #: 200418-002396
100x100 Incident Details

Reference #: 200418-002396
Category: Warranty & Replacement
Subject: Can’t connect to My Cloud EX2 Ultra
Product: My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Response by Email Swarupa M
(04/21/2020 08:50 AM)

Dear Christos,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Service and Support. My name is Swarupa, and I will be happy to assist you today.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

As per your email I understand that the drive is malfunctioning or faulty and you are looking for replacement. However, if the device is within return policy, please contact your place of purchase for inquiring a refund.

In order to set up warranty replacement, I would request you to open an online product replacement (RMA): https://westerndigital.secure.force.com/ind/?lang=en_US

Please refer to the links below for more information:

1. How to get an RMA to replace a defective Product, obtain a Power Supply, or USB cable for a WD Product:
    Get a Warranty Replacement, Power Supply, or USB Cable for your WD Product

2. Step-by-Step Instructions to Create an RMA
    Support Login

Note: Western Digital does not cover data recovery under its warranty policy, nor we have any in-house data recovery service. If you need to recover the data on the drive, you must do so before returning the drive to us. We can only provide you the approval to get the data recovered from a certified third party Data Recovery vendor, so that the warranty of the drive will not be void & we will accept your HDD after that.

Additionally, refer mentioned link on “COVID-19 Communication Updates: Western Digital Customer Support”:

I appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any other issues, kindly reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Swarupa
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

Customer by Service Email CHRISTOS NTOVAS
(04/18/2020 05:52 PM)

• My Dasboard doesn’t work.

• Led activity ok. All three led power on.

• OS Windows 7

• Home

• Yes I have tryied to connect from a browser-

1- Power off and back on the gateway, router, modem, and/or switches

2- Power off and back on the Windows or Mac computer being used to setup the device

3- Power off and back on the My Cloud device

4- Follow through the My Cloud process

I have run all this steps and the problem persist.

I also run all other steps you discribe and the problem persist.

I bought a divice that never work. Your product is rubbish.

I want a solution now!!!

Christos, if you can’t even access the Dashboard, you have a very different issue. I think the first step is to determine the IP address of the Ex2. You tried to connect to 192.168.1.1 - that’s usually the IP address of the local router, not the Ex2 (but then you would get the router’s dashboard instead of the “unreachable” message). Are you sure 192.168.1.1 is the IP address of the Ex2?

After a hard drive reset dashboard is back again.
The problem with the connection still exists.
Can WD fix the device security certificate ?

I was contacted by a WD staff member on Friday. He said he would forward my comments to Cloud Team but, as usual, I got no information about how long this would take. So we continue in “WAITING” phase :frowning: Bug is still there (I check wd2go url every day).

Wd2Go? Does http://MyCloud.com or https://files.mycloud.com/ work for remote access to the single bay/single drive My Cloud? This assumes one has Remote Access/Cloud Access properly enabled and configured within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings.

Sorry @Bennor. When I say wd2go, it’s a short-hand for the full URL that I included in my message about this specific bug I found. Check the first message I posted on this thread (#33, on Apr 7th). One of the shell scripts in the EX2 uses that URL to get information about WD’s relay servers. However, the output of that URL is incorrectly formatted and this causes the script to fail, which in turn causes the “Connection failed” status message to appear for Remote Access. As of now, that URL still returns an incorrectly formatted output.

@** Bennor**

Why doesnt WD know there is a bug. Spent weeks back and forth and they said everything was good on their end, it had to be my device.

Is there another workaround besides the SSH.?

Not a WD employee, just an end user like yourself. As such I have no idea why they do not address this or (many) other issues with both the My Cloud device itself or with the MyCloud.com web portal. Often times with tech companies the right hand (customer support) doesn’t know what the left hand (back end systems) are doing. So they may say something is working fine on their end but the customer see’s something different. Or it could come down to money and or staffing, they simply don’t have the desire to fix it because it could cost too much money to do so from a business standpoint, or they simply don’t have the staff needed to work on such issues.

One side issue with remote access is one’s broadband provider may block the required ports used by the default My Cloud settings for remote access. Or the broadband provider’s router may not properly support UPnP. When this happens one would most likely need to use the manual setting for Remote Access in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings and use alternate ports. One would also need to configure their router for port forwarding to use these two new ports.

Not sure what workaround that uses SSH you are talking about.

@flynreelow I was contacted by a WD staff member 3 weeks ago. However, I’ve been having a real hard time trying to convince them that’s an actual bug. So no much hope for a fix. The workaround is to use Port Forwarding or UPnP, as @Bennor mentioned. That bug only affects “relay connections”, which are used when Port Forwarding and UPnP is not possible.

@flynreelow the issue with wd2go.com url is now fixed (finally :slight_smile:) I suggest you disable and then re-enable Remote Access in order to make sure your EX2 gets the latest version with the fix.

@Seyton and @sktn77a seemed to be having a similar issue back in April. In case it hasn’t been already solved, please try disabling and then re-enabling Remote Access, since wd2go url is now fixed.