Connecting USB Drives - locks system

Hi,

Since upgrading to OS5 I have been having major issues with USB drives which were previously attached under OS3.

Whenever I re-attach a drive my EX4100 locks up. To the extent that the shares are no longer available and I can’t even log on via the web interface. So far I have tried leaving this for up to 8 hours. No indication of what is going on. Disconnecting the USB drive by itself does not resolve the problem I have had to cut the power to restart the system.

I am now shuffling files to try and get an empty USB drive to see if that makes any difference. I have the cloud access turned off so have not had the indexing issue on the internal drives/shares.

Any suggestions?

@Flexware, have you tried upgrade to firmware 5.06.115 which has some fixes with USB Backup app to see if it helps?

If problem remains, contact the WD Support team for direct help.

Thanks, with the updated firmware and no other activity on the EX4100 I have been able to connect USB Drives.

I spoke too soon. Had a power outage and system would not reboot. I had to disconnect all USB drives then cycle the power to get access to the EX4100. The unit boots Ok and shares all available however if I plug in a USB drive I get a frozen EX4100 with no access by web or shared drives. Either the on light keeps flashing or it goes to solid blue but either way I cannot logon to the unit and the only way to restart is to cycle the power again.

I have tested the USB drives in my PC and they scan without errors and have all of their data.

Any idea when the next update for USB issues is due?

@Flexware

What is the make, model, capacity, format of the USB drives(3) and how many are connected?

Please follow the steps below.

1. Remove all external USB drives

2. Enable SSH on the My Cloud

3. Login using Putty or macOS Console

4. Attach the USB drive

5. When you experience the issue, please get the system logs via SSH command

/usr/sbin/zip_system_log.sh systemlogs
    cp /tmp/systemlogs.zip /shares/Public/

6. Contact support and attach the system logs

https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thanks for the response.

I have given up on trying to connect USB drives to this NAS and have gone back to using a USB hub to directly connect to my PC. Not how I wanted to set things up but it does work.

@Flexware in OS 5, USB Shares have “Mobile & Web Access” enabled by default which means we index 100% of the content on the USB drives. Setting this option to OFF may help

Thanks for the reply,

Happy to try and change the setting for the USB shares but where can I do this? I can’t see anywhere I can control this.

I currently don’t have or want to use the web sharing function or app and have no cloud account set up.