Compile from source and make deb for installlation. Help needed

I need some help, as I am new to linux and I’m a liitle lost.
I have followed the guide from  mauromol in “[GUIDE] Building packages for the new firmware… someone tried it?” to create the debian machine as explained and even managed to build some packages. 

What I need is a guide step-by-step to compile and make a deb from  source files  like  http://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/git/ci/v1_1_2/tree/ which is a patched version of minidlna that will be able to install on WD my cloud.

Can someone help?

Just download latest “GPL Source code” for v4 firmware - he have all what need for comiplation (Include easy-to-use script).

You can compile all on MyCloud (Use ‘screen’ app for background compilation)

Thank you for your answer.

I have allready downloaded the latest GPL source “gpl-source-sequoia-04.01.01-413.zip”, but you got me confused my friend.

What do I need the GPL for? From what I understand you propose to compile directly on the MyCloud. How do I do that from source files? What easy-to-use script you refer to? And what is this ‘screen’ app you mentioned? I need more info and details please and if possible a guide.

Screen :

GNU Screen is a terminal multiplexer that runs several separate “screens” on a single physical character-based terminal. Each virtual terminal emulates a DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions. Screen sessions can be detached and resumed later on a different terminal.

Screen also supports a whole slew of other features, including configurable input and output translation, serial port support, configurable logging, and multi-user support.

Easy-build script located in /packages/build_tools/debian/build-armhf-package.sh

Usage : build-armhf-package.sh <–pagesize=64k or 4k> <package_name>

Example : build-armhf-package.sh --pagesize=64k transmission-daemon wheezy

After few minutes you cant grap your package (.deb) from build/root folder.

Also you can use this build tools at normal PC.

From what I understand, this script is fine but only if you want to build an allready compiled deb from some repository.

What I’m trying to do is to compile source files and build a deb suitable for MyCloud from source files that are located in a local folder or git.

In other words, I’m trying to go from package.tar.gz to package.deb

Is there some way to use the script to do this? Or do I have a follow some other method?

Use this script once for prepare bould environment.

Then - just chroot inside and do what you want. (In WD’s chroot - “build essential” already patched)

vandan wrote:

From what I understand, this script is fine but only if you want to build an allready compiled deb from some repository.

What I’m trying to do is to compile source files and build a deb suitable for MyCloud from source files that are located in a local folder or git.

In other words, I’m trying to go from package.tar.gz to package.deb

Is there some way to use the script to do this? Or do I have a follow some other method?

It’s the same method as what Fox_exe has pointed out. Only it’s a script to build from Debian repository. You can bypass the script and perform your own build from the git source. But then you will have to figure out the build dependencies and separately build them too including all other required dependencies according to 64k page size memory.

You were looking for specific minidlna version? I recently patched two newer version 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 to restore samsung dcm10 flag and added video thumbnails. See if those are what you need.

[20141210]
- Added MiniDLNA v1.1.3.patched-1. +FLAG_SAMSUNG_DCM10/Bookmarks/Thumbnails
- Added MiniDLNA v1.1.4.patched-1. +FLAG_SAMSUNG_DCM10/Thumbnails