Clone NAS hard drive to SSD

Look for them here in this folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVNTN6c2F4SXEwQVU

v3.04.01-230: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVWUtrVkE1Nk5QcnM

v4.01.02-417: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVR2czRHB5cnU2bVk

The main folder for all of Fox_Exe’s various My Cloud stuff can be found at this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVRXF4aFpYS2dzMEE

Quick pop back here to comment on what I’ve found recently, having just built a 1TB disk with these instructions. I used the systemrescueCD linux liveCD (actually, a DVD…), loaded into RAM, and running under an x-windows shell (startx).

1. GNU parted now uses IEC units. So ‘M’ is 1,000,000. This means that if you enter exactly what fox described using a GNU parted more recent than v2.4, you won’t get partition sizes and positions that you are expecting; fox expected ‘M’ to be old skool ‘MB’, meaning 2^20. I couldn’t run the dd for partition 5, because it was too small (99.5M, with partition 6 being 101M).

So, you can either use ‘MiB’ instead of ‘M’, or, when you start parted, set the default unit with unit MiB, then you can just enter numbers (within parted):

unit MiB
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 528 2576
mkpart primary 2576 4624
mkpart primary 16 528
mkpart primary 4828 100%
mkpart primary 4624 4724
mkpart primary 4724 4824
mkpart primary 4824 4826
mkpart primary 4826 4828
set 1 raid on
set 2 raid on
print

Having done this, print reported partition sizes exactly as expected, and all the dd commands worked.

I suspect the OP’s problem with running out of space was not being careful with the start point of partition 4; I suspect he entered 4628 rather than 4828. The numbered partitions are not created sequentially on the disk.

1. I’m pretty sure fox has a typo for the partition used for the swap space; he had /dev/sda3, but all his other partitions are on /dev/sdb, so I reckon it should be:

Format data partition:
    mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb4
    mkswap /dev/sdb3

2. I had trouble with the RAID stuff. I had to reboot after making the partitions, before performing the mdadm commands. Even then, the --assemble command (-A) reported an error. I carried on regardless, and the --create seemed to run okay.

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

gave error:
“mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/sdb1”
“mdadm: /dev/sdb1 has no superblock - assembly aborted”

It looks like this is because fox runs the --assemble command before he runs the --create command (which creates the superblocks assemble is looking for), This doesn’t look right, according to the documentation for mdadm:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup

An earlier version of the instructions had the mdadm command sequence reversed (i.e. ‘correct’).

I now have a 1TB MyCloud, up and running after the first attempt at mating the new HDD. Now that I’ve tested the process, I need to look out for an 8TB Red.

[edit: couple of follow-up glitches, although they’re fairly routine.

When setting it up after first boot, the last thing I did was turn off remote access. It didn’t seem to want to come back from that, so I hit refresh. That seemed to do it. Then the Dashboard home page entries started disappearing. oh-oh, what’s going on? Then I remembered: IP address. Checked the router, and, yes, it had changed. Pop the new one into the browser, and all is well. Set fixed at the router.
Proves that the Dashboard leaves a ‘ghost in the machine’; lights are on, but nobody’s home.
Then I upgraded the firmware, which should sort out any issues with the RAID partitions. That took an age to return after completing, so again, I refreshed the page, and the new white UI appeared. The login page popped up, and then went blank. Refresh; same thing.
Oh yes: always do a 4-second reset after a firmware upgrade. That sorted it.]

To be perfectly honest, I have NEVER understood why there is a need to use anything OTHER than MiB.

Computers do NOT count in base 10. They count in base 2. The more human-useful adaptations of that are octal and hexidecimal. Likewise, counting larger units than bytes (eg, words) is always in powers of 2, NOT 10.

This insistence that it obey the SI prefix exactly, and be base10 is some moron’s wet dream that has no conception of how computers do math, and do not want to learn. Either that, or the wet-dream of a drive manufacturer who wants OH SO DESPERATELY for a drive smaller than 10TB to be called “10TB”. (with an asterisk saying it is 9.09495TiB)

Long rant over-- I bet you are right. I bet the switch to that nonsense is exactly what is causing the problems.

It’s this.

The first time I heard about this kibibyte, mebibyte nonsense was on QI. I’m an electronic engineer; we don’t use that bollocks. KB, MB, GB &TB are all binary values; we know that from the context (fair enough; once we got past kilobyte, where we could use KB to distinguish from kB, and into the M/G/T, there was always going to be confusion. I guess someone had to come up with something…).

It’s the drive manufacturers who are the problem, because HDD capacities aren’t inherently binary powers (unlike memory devices and address/data buses).

I can see that, but they pull that chicanery with SSDs, which are inherently MEMORY DEVICES, and DO have a base 2 addressability requirement. (It isn’t like you can just arbitrarily have random erase block sizes in the nand array on those things, like you have random placement and sizes of the magnetic grain domains on an HDD platter… Either it is a nand gate in the array, holding a single binary bit-- or it’s not-- and the size of the array per erase unit is always a fixed quantity, that is a power of 2. Sure, you can have some arbitrary number of reserve erase units for wear leveling purposes that are not counted in the disk size, but an SSD is a totally different monster than an HDD, and pulling that “Oh, we used the SI prefix to mean exactly 1000 megabytes, each defined as exactly 1000 kilobytes, and 1000 bytes respectively, because we dont want to have to count to 1024 like a real computer person!” bologna.)

Anyway-- I hate it, it has no legitimate reason to exist-- yet somehow the makers of parted caved to industry pressure, and now there is more confusion than ever.

If your instructions here do not translate to my issuing the commands wget “https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVNTN6c2F4SXEwQVU
and
wget “https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVWUtrVkE1Nk5QcnM
and
wget “https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_6OlQ_H0PxVR2czRHB5cnU2bVk
then I obviously don’t know what your instructions are.

NOT FOUND in all three cases

Has to be lack of experience with Linux as I can get to the Google Drive with Firefox using the folder name you provided.

I cannot, however, sweep the link I typed into the wget line command and choose open link via the right-click option menu.

BTW, I’m posting via my Windows 10 laptop while my desktop is Linux during these exchanges.

A workaround is to not bother with Wget. Rather just download the files (if you have booted into a Linux distro graphical interface). All Wget is doing is telling the Linux OS to go and download a specific file. You can do the same with the Linux OS web browser by going to one of those links. Once the file is downloaded run step 11 to extract the file. Then in that same directory issue the commands step 12.

You are making reference to one folder at Google and two files. Do you want me to download both files or just one of them? And, just for my entertainment, what are those files?

The current browser is Firefox in debian which I’m very used to. When I copy link address and attempt to access the file I get a NOT FOUND, both for the folder and the 1st of the two you list.

0B_6OlQ That’s zero(0) B_6"Oh"IQ

Why don’t you just click on the link in the message. It should give
you a download option.

I did. That was the 1st thing I tried.

My ISP hit a snag at 133MB of 140MB for the v3.04.01-230 file. I’ll try again in the AM.

Do I also need to download v4.01.02-417?

Hah. I just did a parted /dev/sda print on my original 4TB device. And look what I found…

Model: ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
 3      15.7MB  528MB   513MB   linux-swap(v1)  primary
 1      528MB   2576MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 2      2576MB  4624MB  2048MB  ext3            primary  raid
 5      4624MB  4724MB  99.6MB                  primary
 6      4724MB  4824MB  101MB                   primary
 7      4824MB  4826MB  1049kB                  primary
 8      4826MB  4828MB  2097kB                  primary
 4      4828MB  4001GB  3996GB  ext4            primary

And with unit MiB:

Model: ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 3815448MiB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start    End         Size        File system     Name     Flags
 3      15.0MiB  504MiB      489MiB      linux-swap(v1)  primary
 1      504MiB   2457MiB     1953MiB     ext3            primary  raid
 2      2457MiB  4410MiB     1953MiB     ext3            primary  raid
 5      4410MiB  4505MiB     95.0MiB                     primary
 6      4505MiB  4601MiB     96.0MiB                     primary
 7      4601MiB  4602MiB     1.00MiB                     primary
 8      4602MiB  4604MiB     2.00MiB                     primary
 4      4604MiB  3815447MiB  3810843MiB  ext4            primary

Yup. The same problem of MB/MiB confusion. Partitions 5 & 6, and 7 & 8 should be same same sizes.

My guess is the clowns at WD haven’t realised that parted syntax has changed… That partition map is clearly not what they had in mind (unless they were nuts).

The reason for the strange numbers, even when reported in 10^6 ‘MB’ is that, when parted creates partitions, it aligns them to ‘sensible’ sector or cluster boundaries (which ARE binary powers). So, if you ask it to start at 16,000,000 bytes, it doesn’t, it starts at 15.7MB (or thereabouts).

Those files are the “firmware” files that one pushes to the the various partitions after they have been created. You have a choice. Download the v3.x firmware file or download the v4.x firmware file. Using the v3.x file will load the v3.x firmware. Use the v4.x file will load the v4.x firmware. Use one or the other but not both.

I had surmised as much but it wasn’t obvious if both versions needed to be stored on the device. I don’t know the firmware update process so didn’t know if both levels needed to be stored if there was an update fart updating from 03 to 04.

Given the naming discussion earlier in the thread and having been a software engineer with ME background at IBM San Jose from days of the RAMC in the 60’s for 30 years, I’ll entertain you guys with some history that perhaps will make it easier to grasp the depths of the points that CPT_Paranoia attempted to make.

House full of grandchildren, maybe tomorrow.

The v3.x firmware is there for those who want to have the v3.x firmware on the My Cloud after unbrick. There are several unofficial mods/apps (use the forum search feature to find them) that will only run on the v3.x firmware. If I remember right (but I could be wrong) I think the v4.x firmware on Fox_exe’s site may introduce the altered page size that WD introduced at one point in the v4.x firmware.

Resuming de-bricking:

After having downloaded V03: (Download went into the Download folder)

I tried to figure out both how to either direct the download to the /mnt folder OR move it from the download folder to the /mnt folder. I used the Firefox browser to do the download.

I’m not making much progress with the current efforts so any help with getting the firmware to the right sot would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Bill

I don’t have access eight now to a linux box. But If I remember correctly it is Download not download.

Meaning the download folder name is case sensitive?

I tried every combination of /home/bill/download upper/lower case of the source of the mv
command without success. If I could figure out how to download the firmware directly into the /mnt mount point maybe I could make some progress. As it is I cannot go any further without some help on how to either move the file from download OR download again into /mnt.

Here’s where things stand in the process of de-bricking:
Screenshot%20from%202018-08-05%2017-44-46