Checking that files were successfully transferred from an SD card using a tablet

John, thank you for taking the time to reply and clarify some stuff. I’m
trying to find the most economical way to back up fairly large amounts of
images is some secure storage without taking with me a million gadgets.

My solution was to upload the image to my iPad and then upload the
wirelessly to the Amazon Cloud but the process is slow even from my home
where I have a fast internet connection. Overseas, where I will be , it
probably be even slower and likely eat up a ton of data. Next would be to
just buy several 8Gb card and go with that. If you have an
opinion/suggestion I’d like to hear it. Thanks again for taking the time.
Max1

I take multiple SD cards and I do not re-format them until I get home from a trip. The MyPassport is for backing up the SD cards so I always have two copies of every photo (one on the SD card, one on the MyPassport). If you shoot RAW files, I think it would be impractical to upload to cloud storage, especially if you take a lot of photos. Also you depend on having a reliable high-speed connection to the cloud. Before the MyPassport, I traveled with a laptop and imported my photos into Lightroom at the end of the day. I liked being able to do some editing, but the laptop was just too heavy and bulky. Now I take only the MyPassport and an Android tablet or phone to run the MyCloud app. You could even do without the app, but then you’d have to trust the blinking light on the MyPassport to tell you that your photos were successfully transferred. With the app, you can verify the transfer.

Personally, I would avoid solutions involving cables. I tried doing something like you described (external card reader, external hard drive, OTG cable) and ran into problems getting it to work.

Again thanks for your help. I’ll get the thing a month before departure,
download their app or the Filebrowser app, set it up, test it and if it
connects to my iPad with its on wifi it should be a smooth process. Thanks
again,
Max1

1 Like