Can't restore to new computer from My Passport Ultra

My old computer got hit by lightening. My battery backup was broken, but it still had electricity. I had a backup from the old computer. I have followed all the instructions for restoring to a new computer, but the restore doesn’t recognize the drive. I can see it as the D: drive and all the files on it. Is there something that needs to be done to set up a backup before I can restore? The backup was done under Windows 7 and the new computer has Windows 10. Could someone help with this issue. I really need some of the files that were on the old computer.

How did you take data backup and which software or tool did you use to take backup?

I thought I used wd backup, but could have used Windows 7 backup. It was done in February and my memory is not as good as it once was. There are WD files on it.

I think I was in a similar situation. I backed up an old computer, but when I tried to restore the data to my new computer “WD Discovery” indicated there was nothing restore.
I found this article from a few years back. Seems to work for me.

I can’t read all of the response above, but I don’t have WDSmartware.swstor on My Passport. I have WD Backup.swstor. I can see some files but not all that was on my computer. I don’t know if it did a backup of files that had changed since the previous backup. I think I am going to have to recreate as best as I can. Also, some of the programs that were on the old computer are not compatible with Windows 10. For now, I think I am just going to start over. Thanks to all the suggestions.