Can't past Authentication in WD My Cloud UI, reset not working

Hey,

So since the firmware upgrade to v4 I’ve had nothing but issues. So I decided to downgrade the firware to the last version of V3 which had worked well for me. I followed the instructions here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Easy-method-to-downgrade-to-previous-version-of-the-firmware/td-p/773073

Everything worked well, however when the drive rebooted after the manual firmware install I couldn’t get into the WEB UI. I get the black screen with the WD logo and shortly after the dialog “Attempting to Authenticate” appearrs, it disappears and then nothing, just a black screen. I can access the drive via my Windows explorer as well as using the Desktop WD App and WinSCP.

I decided to cut my losses and go for a reset manually, I actually used a timer and held the manual reset button for 45 seconds. I preceeded this with a power cycle and foillowed it with a power cycle. I’ve tried this twice and nothing. I still can use my old password to log onto the d evice using the WD Desktop App

I’ve also used the WD Setup app. It recognizes the drive, checks it for issues, then does nothing else.

I want to use th UI to turn off automsatic updates, and turn on SSH as I loved using WinSCP for file transfers.

I’m on Windows 7 and I think running fw v03.04.01-230.

Ideas?

Thanks

Well, I solved the system restore issue. Turns out that I didn’t realize you needed to be pressing the reset button as you apply power to the drive. In the help files that aspect of the “how to” is very ambiguous. Regardless, once I completed a system restore, things are functional and I’m running the downgraded f/w.

Hopefully this’ll help someone else in the future. Side note, it’s a personal pet peeve that OPs never come back to update issue threads on forums. It’s like turning the lights off when you leave a room, should be second nature (Perhaps I’m showing my age there!).

Cheers! Time to get drunk and watch world junior hockey.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community and thank you very much for sharing your experience and resolution. Hopefully it will help someone else as well.

Regards,

Trancer.

Dgillett14 wrote:

Well, I solved the system restore issue. Turns out that I didn’t realize you needed to be pressing the reset button as you apply power to the drive. In the help files that aspect of the “how to” is very ambiguous. Regardless, once I completed a system restore, things are functional and I’m running the downgraded f/w.

Hopefully this’ll help someone else in the future. Side note, it’s a personal pet peeve that OPs never come back to update issue threads on forums. It’s like turning the lights off when you leave a room, should be second nature (Perhaps I’m showing my age there!).

Cheers! Time to get drunk and watch world junior hockey.

Hi Dgillett14, I have the same exact problem but although I did press the reset button, it freezes at the black screen.

Do you have other idea?

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone, I downgraded from v4 to v3 and unfortunately the 40-second reset (rear) of my 2TB MyCloud device, didn’t work. I still cannot access the UI and have this authentication message popping up for a second, then blank…

Moreover, I installed WD Setup in Windows, and the tool itself says:

"We’ve detected that you may not be able to:

• Configure the device (settings, etc.)
  • Access the device remotely
    These issues can usually be fixed with a quick call to Support".

Any ideas?

I have same problem.