Cant access iPlayer from the UK

Hi all,

I recently relocated ISPs from the US to the UK but am unable to see any UK location specific services such as iPlayer.

I have tried resetting my location via the menu option and the device reported “succesfully changed to: UNITED KINGDOM” (though the time was set to UTC+01 Amsterdam… for some reason and not UTC).

I have tried restarting the device as well as software and hardware resets. No matter what I do all of my original US services remain unchanged.

I am using the latest firmware 1.15.10. the model number is WDBGXT0000NBK-01.

Would appreciate any advice. Thx

I have exactly the same problem with a new WDTV Live SMP which I purchased yesterday.

I’ve done the factory reset of settings and reset location (confirmed to be United Kingdom) multiple times but still no iPlayer.

I did find this thread re a previous failure of WD’s location server and I wondered whether it was the same problem occuring at the moment?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/i-dont-have-acetrax-movies-or-iplayer-on-latest-firmware-1-12-14/td-p/530247/page/2

My model is WDBGXT0000NBK-02 and I too have fw 1.15.10.

It does seem that there is something wrong (again) with the geo location info. I have reset my player and I now get the generic services only - no iPlayer. 

Thanks rich, good to know it’s not something within our control (I suppose!). Any idea whether there’s a fastrack path to alert WD about the issue?

This kind of thing always happens to me when I get some new tech…grrrrrrr!!

Thanks for the confirmation guys.

I have made an attempt to ‘fast track’ it to WD, but it is a Sunday!. 

1 Like

Great, many thanks!

Hi - yep same problem - it was working fine Saturday morning and when I got home Saturday night, iplayer had vanished. I have done all the usual re-sets etc and still no good - i have version 1.15.10 also. I have tried to call 08000 275 49338 and voice mail is full!! Wonder why??? it’s obviously a problem with WD and there seems to be nothing we can do at this end. Wonder how long this is going to take to fix and why they haven’t put a notification on here about the problems at their end.

C’est la vie…

I also bought a box at the weekend and have no access to iPlayer. The person I spoke to at WD claims it’s BBC’s fault, not theirs. He suggested I wait 24 hours and try again… I did, and still nothing! He also suggested I rollback to an earlier firmware (!) which I actually tried, to no avail.

Looks like I’ve spent money for a device that doesn’t work… Hope we won’t be waiting long!

If you don’t see the iPlayer and you are in the UK then it is something to do with WD and their geo-location sever. At present we are getting only services which are not geo-located. 

WD are working on this. Its happened before and it was fixed, eventually! 

pablowoods wrote:

I also bought a box at the weekend and have no access to iPlayer. The person I spoke to at WD claims it’s BBC’s fault, not theirs. He suggested I wait 24 hours and try again… I did, and still nothing! He also suggested I rollback to an earlier firmware (!) which I actually tried, to no avail.

Looks like I’ve spent money for a device that doesn’t work… Hope we won’t be waiting long!

What player do you have?  Model number?

I have the WDTV Live. Model no: WDBGXT0000NBK-01

You have the newer live streaming gen3 which should have the iPlayer if you live in the UK. If you can’t see the service then it is nothing to do with the BBC. The player checks its location when the player is set up initially or after a reset. This location info is used by the player to either show or hide certain services. The player currently knows that it is the UK but for some reason the server it connects in order to get the OK to display the UK services is not sending back the correct trigger. The only people affected are those with a new player or anybody who resets their player or location. 

This happened before and you can read the whole saga at the link below.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Firmware/i-dont-have-acetrax-movies-or-iplayer-on-latest-firmware-1-12-14/td-p/530247

OK. Its all been sorted and the UK services are now back.

To enable them. Go to Setup / System / Set Time & Country / reset location.

The popup should show that you are in the UK. The time zone will be wrong but because of summer savings the time will be correct.

Go to the services tab and you should see BBC iPlayer etc.

1 Like

Excellent. All working now.

Thanks for your help rich.

Yay!

Thanks for the feedback/help/reassurance!