Can't access drive on network

Hi, ok this is my first time ever responding to any forum so I hope I help anyone.  Now I have a WD MBWE white light 2TB so I do not know if it will work with other drives, and I am using windows 7.

1.First make sure you have a static IP address on your router and computer, if you do not know how to do it, youtube it, very important if not your drive will choose a different IP address everytime.

2.Hold down power  button on the hard drive until it turns off.

3.Then unplug the ethernet cable from your router.

4.Then turn on hard drive and plug the ethernet cable into the ethernet port .

5.Wait about 10 seconds just so ethernet is hooked up correctly, then open up WD Discovery program and search for drive it may take a while.

6.While the ethernet is plugged into your computer restart your computer and wait for it to reboot.

7.Next check if drive is still accessable on your computer if it is then disconnect it from your computer and plug it back in the router, wait 10 seconds or more and the files is now accessable.

It worked for me so I am noob too but you know I did a lot of research and checked up on a lot of pages and I did a trial and error hope it works for you because it worked for me and I am no expert in this so you can try or not up to you.

1 Like

Hi Bill,

I have had this problem for 18 months+ now and have scoured forums etc to find a resolution to no avail.  I contacted WD to correct and they asked me to upgrade the firmware, which did nothing.

This is a persistent issue which has never been resolved.  Don’t know if it has been addressed.

There is plenty of info on the problem pages for WD to diagnose.

Can we point WD at these pages to rectify?

At present, I will be recommending people away from WD drives.

Windows 8 - Can not access drive ever since

Yes, I too can not access my My Book World Edition after starting up my PC once Windows 8 was installed.

If I turn off every device on my network (NAS drives, PC’s, Router, etc.) and then restart everything except for the Windows 8 PC the drive will work just fine.  Just as soon as I start up the Windows 8 PC the drive becomes unavailable to every other PC on the network.