Cannot create any Linux Filesystem WD Elements 4TB USB

Just created a ticket in WD Support, but I’d like to write here anyway, and of course i promise to write back if i get a solution anyhow.
Here it comes:

Such an errors runs on system log while performing mkfs.ext4 on the brand new 4TB elements USB device:

Sep 19 17:39:08 archiwum kernel: [ 3452.503938] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdf] tag#0 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
Sep 19 17:39:08 archiwum kernel: [ 3452.503942] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdf] tag#0 Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
Sep 19 17:39:08 archiwum kernel: [ 3452.503944] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdf] tag#0 Add. Sense: Invalid command operation code
Sep 19 17:39:08 archiwum kernel: [ 3452.503947] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdf] tag#0 CDB: Write same(16) 93 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 80 00 00 00
Sep 19 17:39:08 archiwum kernel: [ 3452.503949] print_req_error: critical target error, dev sdf, sector 2048

The filesystem is broken and cannot be fixed. Files written on it are corrupted.
Although, the drive passes badblocks tests, runs fine on mdadm RAID 1 Arrays…

The situation is exaclty the same on two Linux kernels (4.15, and 5.10), two different computers, and three different USB controllers in which is USB 2.0.
(one of the controllers is USB2.0, two others are 3.0)

On the other hand, twins similar device Elements 2TB works quite fine.

Have tried to create 1TB partition and then mkfs.ext4 - the same result.

Have checked SMART test under Windows with Dadshboard - Excellent.

Exactly the same problem while creating xfs filesystem.

Any ideas what can I do, to get it working?

And here I am coming back with solution as promised.
But first short disclaimer: I do not exactly understand whats going on there, i’m just putting solutions written by other, smarter people, and it seems to work.

So first of, a little bit suggestive short dispute on … WD Community forum :wink:

And here - solution of the problem, as I am planning do apply, before there will be enough water in rivers after Darwin, to get it fixed on WD drive firmware or in default kernel behavior - either way is just fine for me:

https://chris.hofstaedtler.name/blog/2016/10/kernel319plus-3par-incompat.html

Hope that will help somebody else.

Take care!

Hi @aikus,

Please refer below link to help you with trouble shooting steps:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/utils/login_form

… You just have to be kidding…
The official WD suppoprt send me my own WORKAROUND of the problem I have send to WD community.
Right?
Not even saying “get lost, stop bothering us”, not mentioning about officjal position according to the problem (is it Linux Kernel bug, or maybe device firmware bug??)

So, THAT IS HOW WD SUPPORT WORKS.
Just great.

For the long long time I was just buying only WD disks… now i wonder if I should verify my liking:/

… You just have to be kidding…
The official WD suppoprt send me my own WORKAROUND of the problem I have send to WD community.
Right?
Not even saying “get lost, stop bothering us”, not mentioning about officjal position according to the problem (is it Linux Kernel bug, or maybe device firmware bug??)

So, THAT IS HOW WD SUPPORT WORKS.
Just great.

For the long long time I was just buying only WD disks… now i wonder if I should verify my liking:/

M.