Before you pack up your WD and return it, let's talk about Copying Speeds!

It should be noted that these single bay My Cloud units contain WD Red NAS drives. These drives are typically SATA 6Gb/s and 5400 RPM. These drives are far from being old, slow and drives WD is trying to get rid of.

The slow My Cloud Dashboard loading is a common compliant. One troubleshooting step is to try a different web browser and to disable any browser plug-ins or browser add-ons.

When testing the network speed to the My Cloud it helps to use Ethernet and not WiFi. It also helps to use dedicated programs like Crystal Disk Mark to do the speed testing. The speed results one see’s from using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder may not provide enough detail to determine actual network speed.

The low cost single bay/single drive My Cloud units are what they are. There are issues with them, among those issues is them being slower than higher end/more costly NAS devices is one of them.

absolutely NOT true… The speed of the My Cloud is almost as fast as My QNAP which on average is about 80MB/s (which costs several hundreds more not including drives of which incidentally I’m using the same drives as the My Cloud to fill up my QNAP NAS).

That in it self is another story. If you let the “My Cloud” run the scans then yes, you are going to get a slowdown on loading its own web page. Turn all the scans off by turning off DLNA, iTunes serving, Cloud connecting or simply kill all the jobs via SSH and it becomes a normal NAS much like its brethren QNAP/Synology servers.

Yes there is one thing that WD should be ashamed of and that is that they do have these unnecessary scans for trying to make cloud services instantaneous (e.g. sending and loading thumbnails to your iPhone to make it seem like magic). Connecting a USB drive that hasn’t been scanned will cause a flurry of scan activities that basically drive your My Cloud down to its knees, that is if the My Cloud had knees.

Kill all these scan services and your My Cloud becomes a normal NAS device that is the same price as the Red Hard drive itself without the My Cloud Shell; this is the same Red Drive that is sold everywhere for putting in a QNAP/Synology devices so it isn’t a bunch of old slow drives that WD is trying get rid of as backup drives.

Although I have moved onwards to a QNAP NAS, I still use my old My Clouds Personal as backups and they are wonderful little NAS drives. With @Bennor foray into replacing his My Cloud hard drive with a 12TB drive, it is a testament on how versatile and wonderful these My Cloud devices could have been if only WD had listened to us USERs on these forums to remove the scans, then they would have had a Best Seller NAS and QNAP/Synology would have had to close their doors but that is in another dimension where WD bought Apple :stuck_out_tongue: