Before you pack up your WD and return it, let's talk about Copying Speeds!

I totally agree on an average user not having to SSH into the device as a fix although the SSH fix does show that WD is getting close but has to iron out the last few remaining bugs.

I hate to tell you mchalep but your device did not go to sleep as sleep is indicated by a slow cycling of on/off blue light. Your light turn whitish which means that it has gone offline and disconnected. The whitish light also inidicates that your device is not in the ready mode. 

Now I take it that when you did your power cycle since the device no longer responds, you must have pulled the plug. I did that too when my device was thrashing. This means that the device needed to do a fsck (checkdisk) at the begining of the bootup as you could have corrupted the drive. There isn’t any other choice when the device doesn’t respond to you other then pulling the plug.

Now if you had plugged in a USB drive just shortly after booting up, I’ve found that the device will thrash again; I also had to pull the plug on mine too.

I had posted up a final words on rebooting with an attached USB, and that is

‘Do not reboot with an attached USB’

Although I love my devices as I watch the forum fill with troubled users, it is difficult to recommend this great device without SSH’ing and I really wish WD would come up with a new firmware that fixes ‘at minimum’ the USB connection thrashing and the device slowdown due to indexing.  Until then, I think I will remain quiet… unless I come up with more solutions.