Solution last words - disconnection from network & USB attachment followed by disconnection

Sometimes I really wish I could buy something and simply be happy with it :frowning:

However my latest problem with the WD Cloud is that the device would wake up at random intervals all through the night. Some as short as 2 minutes, 6 minutes, 20 minutes and the longest sleep is 70 minutes. However this sleep depravation will have to wait for another post as one of my old problem came back.

The device has been running for about 2 weeks now, so to ensure that my sleep depravation wasnā€™t due to some leftover flag that was left in tmp, I decided to reboot with the USB drive attached.

After the regular appropriate time of holding my breath, the Web UI came back up, mapped out the drive and even SSH into the device. Everything seems normal. Of course after a reboot, there was a large number of wdnotifier and wddispatcher running. This is normal until it was not :stuck_out_tongue:

then it happendā€¦

I got no response from the device, although you can still hear it thrashingā€¦ clickity clackityā€¦ blue light on, green light in the back blinkingā€¦ No web response, my mapped drive showed no files, SSH hunged. Closed the window and attempted another SSH into the device. No responseā€¦

Well as seasoned WD forum members, everyone knows what to do? right?

so I pulled the plugā€¦ yupā€¦ probably left a few blocks of unlinked data on the diskā€¦ and started up the device Ā 

Solution:

kept hitting SSH to connect (while the drive is still booting) until I do connectā€¦

then type

killall wddispatcher

killall wdnotifier

(remember that I DO NOT have wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd running)Ā 

to keep from wdmcserverd from running and you can always start it up later

killall wdmcserver

killall wdphotodbmerger

Everything settled down. No more clicking and clacking of the hard drive. The connection stayed up, I could access the USB drive normally. Everything came up roses.

Not happy

I was not happy though. I had thought that all my problems were solved without having to resort to SSHā€™ing into the device and killing off small innocent processes. So as I sat in my thinking throne room, I thoughtā€¦ well perhaps I should just let the device thrash itself outā€¦Ā 

Detaching Ā USB drive after process killed

With that determined, I decided that I better remove the USB drive which contains a full backup/mirror of my files, just in case the thrashing carries over to the USB drive.

However after waiting at the Web/UI for a long undermined time, for the USB device to be found, I knew that I had to start up the two processes that I just killed in order to get the little eject symbol for the USB drive.

Ā thusĀ 

/etc/init.d/wddispatcherd start

/etc/init.d/wdnotifierd start

Then after a short while, the USB icon will light up as well as the button to eject the USB. Once you have done that and waiting for the Web message to respond back to the main menu, detach the USB drive cable.

You will note, that despite the fact wddispatcher and wdnotifier are running, they no longer causes any further problem with your device. It just seems to be at the initial startup that caused some kind of lockup followed by a disconnection.

Rebooted with no lockups

So anyways, I rebooted using the Web utility reboot and the device came back on. I mapped out the drive, I SSHā€™ed into the driveā€¦ and waited for the device to disconnect itselfā€¦

and waited

and waitedā€¦

So I started up a movie streaming from the device to my Mac and went for an hour long exerciseā€¦ Ā and came back to find:

The movie was still running

The drive was still mapped and connected

my SSH connection was still activeā€¦Ā 

wdnotifier and wddispatcher are still running from the initial bootup without having to kill it and restart it.

(note: wdcmserverd and wdphotodbmergerd have been stopped permanently from prior modifications)

So this is a clean boot with no intervention.

The only difference was tNO USB drive connected.

Connecting the USB drive after bootup

Since the drive has been running for an hour with no services stoppedā€¦Ā 

I decided that it was time to test out my new theory of plugging in the USB drive which will then lock and disconnect the device. So I connected the USB driveā€¦

and waitedā€¦

and waitedā€¦

Both devices stayed upā€¦ mapped and running with no problemsā€¦ no interventions

Soooā€¦

Summarization of what just happened

1. donā€™t reboot with the USB drive connected

2. if you do reboot with the USB drive connected,Ā immediately SSH into the device and kill the processes before they lock your device, then start them up to disconnect your USB. then restart to ensure a clean boot.

3. it seems that you should always wait Ā an indeterminable time before connecting your USB drive, lets say 5 minutes?

4. if you still get lockup with or without your USB drive attached, you can wait until the drive comes back (since I never had the patience to wait Iā€™ll need someone else to tell me if the drive ever comes back) or you can SSH into the device and kill the two process. I have been running for over two weeks without the two processes.

I do not like the fact that once it locks up there is no way of shutting down the drives normally. The fact that I pull the plug means that the drives will need fsck, equivalent to chkdisk on the pc. Thus it was important to me that I could boot up without having to kill any processes. That all tasks completes as the developers intended. Flags gets cleared, fsck gets runned.

So this should the last word on this problem. Good luck and godspeedā€¦ now back to the sleeping problem :frowning:

edit: so after the reboot, without killing or restarting any process, the drive is sleeping quietly on the shelf. Looks like I donā€™t need to research this problem any further. Ā 

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this experience. Hope it helps other users.

Ā Perhaps this information should be passed to the WD development team. It should help in their diagnosing of this problem.Ā  :catvery-happy:

Hi Raphael, thanks for posting this.Ā 

Iā€™m still trying to get up to speed with the MyCloud and all the tweaks that seem to need to be made to get it to work. Iā€™m still a bit confused at the recommendation on having USB hard drives connected to the My Cloud.Ā 

Hereā€™s what I think youā€™re saying, please correct me if Iā€™m wrong:

• The best approach is to not have any USB drives connected on startup of the MyCloud

• Upon booting, SSH into the drive

• killall wddispatcher

• killall wdnotifier

• killall wdmcserver

• killall wdphotodbmerger

• Plug in USB drives

• Cross your fingers and hope all drives work as expected!

*To disconnect/eject the USB drive

• SSH into device and

-Ā /etc/init.d/wddispatcherd start

• /etc/init.d/wdnotifierd start

• Unplug USB drives

-Ā - Restart device (is this from the webUI ā€œreboot,ā€ or a unplug and restart?)

What are the processes for exactly? What do I lose from not having them?

Iā€™ll give it a go today upon hearing back from you and let you know how it goes!Ā 

I think you got the gist of itā€¦Ā 

Mainly the two worse culprit for lockup at the begining are wdnotifier and wddispatcher without wdphotodbmerger and wdmcserver running. wdphotodbmerger and wdmcserver if they are running will slow your device down and the combination of the four of them is devastating.

In honest truth I have no idea what these jobs do and I wonā€™t lay claim that I know what I am doing either :stuck_out_tongue: Ā I am just very observant especially when you have about a half dozen wdnotifier and wddispatcher running at the same time before your device locks, then it is safe to say that for every action there is a reaction.

I do not have any of these four processes running for the last month ever since I bought my device; however remember that I do not use DLNA, Twonky or iTunes Server, nor do I use the photocloud app. However I do use the Cloud app to allow me to view all my files on my device and that still works fine.

Quick guesses:

wddispatcher - Ā dispatches functions that probably includes attaching a usb drive, ejecting?

wdnotifier - notifies by sending messages between functions that certain functions have completed.

wdphotodbmerger - create thumbnails and converts them into a display page (guessing because of the merger name)

wdmcserver - scans and indexes your media and creates a hidden subdirectory called .wdmc and .twonky that contains information about your media for serving to your DLNA.

Here is the bottom line. If you boot without the USB drive and it boots normally without you having to SSH into the device to kill off the wdnotifier and wddispatcher. You should be able to attach your USB drive (wait for at least 5 minutes) without problemsā€¦ Ā As I keep saying, although I have my wdmcserver and wdphotodbmerger permanently off.

Now one last thing. WD staff has always said wait for wdmcserver and wdphotodbmerger to complete and perhaps they do, but once those programs have scanned your media once and has built the .wdmc and .twonky hidden directories, you are set. which means you can restart your scan anytime.

Remember that killing these processes are not permanent. Once you restart your device, they start back up again. Thus if you ever accidentally killed off a process that is needed and your device becomes unresponsive, simply reboot.

If you donā€™t see thumbnails for your photos, restart wdphotodbmerger and later on next year you should see a thumbnail :stuck_out_tongue:

If DLNA doesnā€™t work, start up wdmcserver and wait for it to discover all your media.

ohā€¦ useĀ 

ps -ALL

to see all the processes that are running.Ā 

Good luck

I have LinAdmin and it came out normal as expected. If you have a faulty Cloud you should get a RMA and get it fixed.

oh I seeā€¦ I thought you wanted my timings. but yes it comes out the same as everyone else that is normal. :stuck_out_tongue: right now Iā€™m still testing sleep modes, so no timing testsā€¦

So, bottom line:

Message for all us MyCloud owners-Donā€™t reboot or startup the MyCloud with a USB drive attached.

Message for WD-fix the firmware so this isnā€™t an issue.

gewilli wrote:

So, bottom line:

Message for all us MyCloud owners-Donā€™t reboot or startup the MyCloud with a USB drive attached.

totally agree with the Message for WD!!

Ralphael wrote:

gewilli wrote:

So, bottom line:

totally agree with the Message for WD!!

Agreed too, but what can we do? It will soon be 9 months from lounch of that product and it still is far from working as advertised

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :(