Backup from Mycloud Gen2 to Mycloud Gen1

Hello,
i want to make a backup of my WD Mycloud Gen2 (2TB) to another Mycloud (also 2 TB, but Gen1) with remotebackup.
I have enabled SSH at the Gen1 Mycloud (User: root, PW: Standard PW), but the remote backup Software of the main mycloud wants a user named sshd (that can’t be changed), so i can`t create the backup.
What must I do get the backup function?
Thanks

Hopefully an experienced SSH user will be able to assist.

Did you ever get a response or manage to resolve as I have exactly the same issue

Hello,

I never got an answet to solve this problem, but I managed it with Backup from Gen1 to Gen2. The problem is: myCloud Gen 1 must be the main, Gen2 is only used for the backup.

Thanks for the reply.
I’m kicking myself as I bought the newer gen2 thinking I could use it with the safepoint function that was on the gen1 !!! now feel like I have wasted £150 (and wanting to use the Gen2 as the main storage because its a bit faster and newer than the Gen1)
I contacted WD and this is their response… If anyone knows how to use SSH and get this working please let me know!

Dear Kevin Watson,

Welcome to Western Digital Support. My name is [Deleted] and I am one of the support agents.

Thanks for reaching out to us with the issue regarding our My Cloud.

I’m sorry to say this but in general remote backup is not available between two single bay My Cloud devices. There is an option to back up from the gen 2 to a My Cloud Mirror or higher but not vice versa I’m afraid. There may be options via SSH, however I am not able to provide further support as it is open source and anything beyond there is on your own knowledge.

An alternative way is to manually copy and paste the data which you want to back up from one device to another or by searching online for possible 3rd party software to assist you in this. Once again I’m sorry.

I do hope that my information was helpful in any way, If you require additional help or you have any questions then don’t hesitate to reply and I will be more than happy to be of assistance to you.

Sincerely
Taavi
Western Digital Service and Support

Have you tried doing a subforum search for “rsync” to find other discussions that explain how to use Rsync to backup to another location? Here is one past discussion, there are others:

https://community.wd.com/t/where-is-remote-access-button-in-fw-2-11-140/162395