Backup fails on Time Machine

Removing the WD Utilities seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks for your research BoilerJR.

Thanks for BoilerJR. Seems WD have still not fixed this! Removing the WD Utilities seems to have resolved the problem for me.

I can’t thank you enough for solving this problem. FYI, WD as not fixed it. I hadn’t had this problem for a while, having removed the WD utilities a couple of years ago (for other reasons). I was having trouble with security issues on my MyCloud, so I reinstalled the utilities. Later, this old problem with Time Machine came back. I had spent HOURS with Apple support two years ago and ended up completely wiping my hard drive and my Time Machine external (WD) drive and having to restore several TB of programs and data… Thank you for my not having to go through that again. I wish I new how to get Apple to put this solution in their main database!

Best to delete the lot in my experience. I tried deleting piecemeal like you but got nowhere. I had similar problems to what you describe plus something was interfering with shutdown, sleep mode and ejecting my drives. I think part of the problem was that I am using a MyBook Studio II and a MyBook Duo. The Duo replaced the Studio II when my iMac was replaced with one with a huge internal HDD.

WD told me that they had stopped supporting the Studio II (Yeah, go figure). So I deleted all WD software. There was only one thing it did that Disk Utility doesn’t do anyway, and that was monitor the state of my RAID.

I deleted the lot in favour of Disk Utility and have never looked back.