Anyone tried shucking an easystore 18TB and replacing it in a My Cloud V2

While true that the retirement of OS3 means the end of internet access to the drive but OS3 will still work as a local NAS at home.

My book covers that fitted over the smooth exterior of the My Clouds is my memory of my “My Clouds”

For me that is the nostalgia of having a single NAS drive means the ability to hide a NAS behind book covers.

Having two 8TB My Cloud Personal back in the old days, one being my main drive and the other my backup, was a delight in that two tiny NAS drives replaced my large PC servers that warmed up my room.

I miss those simpler days.

While I might agree with you based on WD history and the decade and a half that I spent wandering the halls of this forum, the thing is that there isn’t many choices in hard drives out there.

After the debacle of Seagate with Drobo enclosures where the seagate drive gave off a timing error that cause a cascade failure in Drobo resulting in the total loss of data because Drobo would try to copy the data from the failing drive which subsequently cause a second drive to flag a timing error and so on, I had never recover my trust with seagate and It seems that Drobo has finally gone out of business in 2020.

Thus WD and its buyout of hitachi drives are really all that is left.

As for NAS I am more of a QNAP guy than Synology although it seems that QNAP is also dying in the last decade.

Anyway I do procrastinate a lot these covid days and shucking drives and rebuilding a My Cloud is a lot of work. Adding drives to a new QNAP TS-431K is a lot of work too so that leaves me with unboxing my Easystore 18TB and plugging it into my QNAP TS-431P or just plugging it in as a USB 3 drive into my computer and just teracopying the data off my TS-431P for backup seems like the least resistance to my procrastination.

Although book covers on a couple of 18TB My Cloud are still a nice nostalgic thought.