Anti-Virus Essentials DB update taking forever

Just updated to 5.16 and to AV 1.36 on MyCloudEX2 Ultra.
Updating DB still takes ages and makes it virtually useless… It’s so slow and makes the NAS less responsive and fans getting crazy.

1 Like

I have this problem too, is there a solution?

2 Likes

Yep. Easy solution.
Remove Anti-Virus Essentials.

I did this on my MyCloud and EX2 Utra. I have a decade old Linux PC as my data backup that runs rsync on the NAS data. ClamAV runs fine with local files on a much more powerful decade old Linux PC !

The AV software is just too resource intensive to be productive for these NAS devices with an old single core embedded processor.

So the easy solution is to avoid av
It is what I m doing since as it is now it is simply unusable. I try to keep av updated on pc and clients and hope to avoid issues
What I do not understand is that it Was working before upgrading to OS5.

I’ve got the same troubles with Anti-Virus Essentials for about two weeks now, but I’ve upgraded to OS 5 several months ago.

2 Likes

2-3 days for a system scan, not the full scan on my My Cloud EX2 Ultra. That’s crazy.

1 Like

I was more or less told to read the third party app disclaimer by WD support (or lack of).

Moreover, I would suggest you to please read the disclaimer for using 3rd party application:

Use of Third Party Software or Websites

Antivirus essential is not third party innit?

1 Like

It appears that it is. here is a list of third party apps and the AVE is one of them.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14709/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNjMxODIwMDU0L2dlbi8xNjMxODIwMDU0L3NpZC9mVUhpcDM1cGtyQm9nSjN3XzR6SiU3RVVhbTVBJTdFcUhGOVE2UEVoJTdFU3M5UU9yMlVueUFZOWJfZWtUZkxtdjlzSkV0OWF4VzNDejFHSEFYdUdTY2s5cnp4UWNJYVJjV2JkU0p1cTFBTWN4dWh4bEhlV2lMcWJQYnNEZ2clMjElMjE%3D

Oh… Who’s the app vendor then?

Don’t know, I uninstalled the app and i don’t plan on reinstalling it. This topic has been open for months and there have been several releases of the app with no change in it’s functionality, or lack of.

1 Like

https://www.clamav.net/
Not sure, but probably the customization to wd os is done by wd itself

2 Likes

So not really third party… that’s the point.

Please check the below KBA and solution

My Cloud OS 5: Anti-Virus Essentials Database Update Remains at 99%
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31832/

Thanks for the new knowledge base article.
It reads as « MyCloud EX2 Ultra and other lower end NAS are underpowered for OS5 » (but are still sold).

1 Like

У меня такая же проблема. Обновляется третий день. Возможно ли установить drweb?

What is the latest version of the virus database?

What versions are you running? (Software and database)
How long have you been waiting since you started the update process? What’s your NAS?

I have a WD My Cloud Ex2 Ultra. Running OS 5 on the latest firmware and have antivirus essentials version 1.38.
But it’s my bad. It was stuck updating the database from December 2020, but I left it going and it now updated to 11 December 2021, so all good.

Had to uninstall and install the antivirus so that it would update but all good now.

All good but it’s so slow on Ex2 Ultra it’s virtually useless. You’ll see.