Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

Hi MARTIN !
Have U fixed your MC? My MyCloudMirrorGen2 has the same problem as yours: red sys LED blinking and no IP address.USB boot didnt work, either. Maybe we should try the UART-method? Waiting for reply.
Thank U!

Hi Miamijerry!

When I tried to restore WDFW for my MCMG2, I got a big problem:I depressed the reset button for forty seconds but it did not start from USB drive ,and the red SYS LED blinked all the time. If I just pluged USB drive in then poweron the device, all three red LEDs blink.During these two attempts the network LEDs seemed OK but I still cant find the IP address with my router. I didnt plug any HardDrive in because my important data, did it matter?

Soooo…What should I do the next steep?
Waiting for reply.
Thank you, please!

There needs to be a hard drive installed, I believe.

I installed a HDD this afternoon but nothing help……I am considering using UART-method to find out what happend and resstore the FW. However , I dont have a UART adapter right now , I need to buy one and learn how to use it. By the way ,could anyone please to write a guide ?

@Fox_exe I’ve seen you have uploaded a new uImage file (uImage-3.2.70_marvell) for the MCM2. What’s the difference between this one and the previous one?

And what’s the current status of installing/using a debian (+OMV) on a MCM2 ? Is it sufficiently stable for a daily use or should I wait some time and keep my MCM2 with the original WD OS ?

Edit : I’ve tried to boot the uRamdisk/uImage from USB with a 2GB flash drive, FAT32 and the 2 files in boot folder (like said in the _info.txt file), but nothing happens. MCM2 boot from internal memory. There is something missing ?

Any idea why? And how I can fix it?

Hey Defcon,

I’ve just done a fresh install of DSM for MCM Gen2. I disabled hibernation like you’re suggesting, at some point I might try re-enabling it to confirm that I have the same issue as you. I’ll also let you know how my general stability is so far.

So far I’m liking DSM. It only installed it last night, but the interface is intuitive and seemingly more powerful than WD firmware. In case anyone is considering upgrading.

One bug I seem to have so far, is shutting down. If I do it from the web interface or from SSH, I’ll get a shutdown message (sudo shutdown -h now), and my SSH and web interface stop responding ( web interfaces “refuses” to connect ), but I’m still able to ping the unit, and the LED’s don’t appear to go off at all. Even after a few minutes. Have you had better luck with shutdowns? I haven’t attempted a reboot yet. I could view the UART during shutdown, but is there a log that gets saved that I could verify once I boot back up? To find out where in shutdown it failed?

Cheers,
Craig

USB boot not supported in Mirror Gen2 (uboot bug).
Native firmware file will be available later. (For install from WD web interface)

2 Likes

I don´t have WDMC Mirror, but the single bay version Gen.2 My board is the same like yours.
https://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/Photo/Top.jpg

I´ll try to get FTDI work. Then we will see whats going wrong.

Hello

I have an issue with my “My Cloud EX2 Ultra”. I’m changed the firmware to DSM 6, but now I want to roll back to the original firmware. The question: How can change the firmware under DSM 6? I think the usb boot not working.

Hi @Levis

Just use your DSM6 if it worked ok!
Do not try to restore WD firmware . The rollback-method for EX2 Ultra and MCM2 doesnt work well until now !!!

The problem is the DSM6 not working regulary. The fan speed is maximum and i cant reduce the speed.

@KGreator What do you think in the future will to be possible the rollback-method?

Of course, yes!
Just need some time for research (I think its possible to use same method as in WDMC Gen1 - tftp method + “Magic packet”)

My Cloud EX2 Ultra (same as My Cloud Mirror Gen 2)

1. Prepare a USB drive with files “uImage” and uRamdisk", download from;
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVSWYxWDBtS2wwejA8
    format USB fat32, place files in a folder you create named “boot” (I also placed copies of files outside the folder).

2. With USB attached, depress the reset button with a tooth pick and apply power to the My Cloud
    Hold the reset button for forty seconds and then release.

3. Locate the new IP address, I use “Advanced IP Scanner”.
    Browse to the new IP address, and the “Recovery Mode” WebIU will display
    Upload the correct firmware from Western Digital.
    After it reboots, scan for new IP address again and login by browser.

@Miamijerry thanks. I tried this but not working for me. If i acces the ip will display the DSM 6 install page

News:

Ubuntu 16.04 available for install to Ex2 Ultra / Mirror Gen2.
https://ftp.anionix.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Mirror-Gen2/Ubuntu/

Hi fox_exe
I feel a little puzzled, sorry…You mean we have to use the tftp-method or the uboot bug and the uImage files will get fixed ??

It’s great to see that Ubuntu, congratulations! But the problem for me is that my MCM2 cant load any OS or even get an IP address…I’m waiting for the USB-restore-method getting fixd…

First of all, this is still beta software for all WD models, the usage of beta software is at your own risk and may void warranty! You are warned, so don’t blame Fox_exe :wink:

I had a WD Mirror gen2 and had following issues with DSM 6 (as Fox_exe also noted):
LED constantly blinking
Fan speed 100%
No power off shutdown
Some crashes with possible data losses

You should know how to use some linux commands and how to set up a tftp network for recovery.
I’m not sure if tftp is needed or if the USB recovery did work for me. After all I managed to recover to the orginal WD firmware, so the recovery to WD orginal firmware is working!

If the WD Mirror gen2 would be my device, I could support Fox_exe better.

@Fox_exe

Its simple to understand if you already known what is is Linux/Kernel, Crosstools, C++ and other things.

I dont think it’s so simple. You should know how to write linux drivers (although it is no real driver) and know how to debug it with a FTDI cabel.

Not so hard.
For DSM need write module, that just upload some bytes to ttyS1, when got some command (I already have all commands, sceleton for module, byte codes for mcu/tty. All what i need - write a code for all of that (Iniitialize tty/uart connection, upload data to it, close when need. Maybe little more - for few commands better to use /sys/class nodes or use kernel syscalls)
For debug - kernel already have kprint() command for debug (dump text/data to dmesg or to default console).

All info available in Google. But im little lazy to teach it all :grin: