Alternative Firmware (Debian Jessie, Synology DSM6)

NASYUN??:joy:

Hello. Thanks all for the hard work!
I’m a new user of th wd cloud mirror gen 2 8tb
Sorry but I’m really unsatisfied by the wd software. I’ve found problem in every simple task I expected to be easy, such as copy files from an external drive that required me to ssh and disable a lot of services to get it work without freezes. Also the inability to use folders name like “uploaded” or “p2p” or “.bin”, and an the lack of integrated file browser really puzzles me.
Would you recommend to “upgrade” to dsm? I’ve only tried the demo on synology website.

What are the limitations on the wd cloud mirror gen 2? Cannot understand if gpio for fan etc has been found and whats missing. Maybe I can help with my software and hardware skills. No problem to eventually solder the serial connector.
The synology application for android will work on this modified device? Can I obtain a mac and a serial from a dead device or another still working device to enable the cloud service?
The firmware switch would impact the data stored? If yes, there is any workaround to maintain the data?
I’ve found the procedure to recover in case of problems. Sorry if already responded, but cannot find the exact procedure to install the dsm6 to wd cloud mirror gen 2. Can you point it to me?

At the end, anyone can give me his feedback? It’s really worth to change the firmware?

1. DSM still “Beta”. idk what bugs you can get while using it.
  2. All synology stuff works perfect. Valid serial and MAC need only for “Cloud” services and acces via Synology website (Read more about XPenology project - its DSM port for PC, almost all same)
  3. While installing DSM need format HDD’s. So, all data will be lost. (I have methods for save data, but its hard).
    Option: Install only one HDD, install DSM, then connect 2nd drive, copy all data and just add to first as 2nd drive (For RAID mirror/striple/jbod). Maybe need some “Hand magic” for this work, but its possible.

Hi Fox!
Thank you for your reply.
But will you continue to fix DSM6 for MCM G2? We can help! :blush:

Im accept only one help: I need C/C++ programmer (Linux kernel development will be perfect).
Its need for rewrite Synobios (Add support for internal MCU and some other functions).
Also will be good if someone find why DSM sometime crash and how to fix it (I found few damaged libs, but cant find why they damaged…).

And what nobody is able to give - Time… He is always not enough…

@Fox_exe any ideas on advanced debugging to see why my WD mirror is rebooting randomly twice a day?
Thanks

Hello, thank you for answering.

1. may be helpful a bug tracker to find all the bug and try to assign to volunteers.
  2. I think I’ll never use the cloud function.
  3. I’ve already thought at this simple solution. Not really annoying but time consuming. I’m searching information on the possibility to modify the partitions layout to accomplish the dsm requirements.

About the required development, there is a page or a description on the current project status, tutorial on how to build and any other dev documentation to replicate the work, try and test by my own?

Finally, I’m trying to understand if the conversion to dsm is really an improvement on the current WD Cloud OS, not only based on the web interface usability experience.

By now, My Cloud OS has this limitations:

• system instability on usb drive connection. I’m required to log in through ssh and manually disable some services (wdmcserverd, wdphotodbmergerd, wdnotifierd, wddispatcherd)
  • inability to create some folders through smb sharing (for ex. uploaded, p2p, .bin)
  • missing integrated file browser
  • scp, sftp and ftp limited to max 15mb/s. SMB gets full speed

All data available on G.Drive. Yeah, there almost no instructions, but all data needed for future developing already present. Its simple to understand if you already known what is is Linux/Kernel, Crosstools, C++ and other things.

About migrate to DSM - Yeah, there is many functions, better UI and other things. But future updates depended on me (Synology still not upload kernel for 8xxx builds, so im use kernel for 5xxx builds and disable few internal features (+workarounds for non-present hardware). idk how its influences on system in future)

About bugtracker - Maybe i need to upload all my stuff to GitHub (Have integrated bugtracker).
https://github.com/FoxExe/wdmc-gen1-tools

Thank you.
Based on your experience what is the os that provide better file versioning and backup?
What about other NAS operating systems?
Any useful information about the partitions layout required by DSM?

I would like to help on wd mycloud mirror gen2 hardware, maybe adding a custom power button that i really miss.
Can I get a read access to your ftp to locally replicate all files and start to understand?

Thanks.

Debial (clean linux). And all what need, cnfigured “by hands”.
Maybe OpenMediaVault as Web-GUI.

For DSM need 3 partitions: ootfs, swap, data (default layout)

Possible to use Reset button - Press short for reboot, long for power off (for example). Need write one simple programm (button is GPIO based).

You can download all my data via Google.Drive.

Hi guys, i just installed dsm6.0, but now i don’t know what is the default ssh passwd?
I user “root/sudo su” and some othe combinations, but it doesnt work. I would like to switch back to original fw…

Thanks for any help!

@Fox_exe I figured out why my WD Mycloud Mirror Gen1 was crashing. I disabled all hard drive Hibernation options and have not had a crash in 3 days. I currently have 2 internal WD Red 3TB’s and 2 external 5TB Seagates plugged in via USB, everything has been stable for 3 days after disabling hibernation. So FYI for anyone getting random reboots.

By hibernation you mean, that you disconnect all external drives?

Somehow i baypass root account, and perform that reboot option (in another way). At the moment i am back to stock fw.

I would like to know, if there is possible to set with synology quickconnect? I read something about changing mac and so. My important function for NAS is also automatic uploading from mobile phone to NAS.

Possible to use any of “Cloud services” (Google drive, Box.com, Dropbox and other).
But for QUick connect - need valid MAC+SN, provided to kernel as boot options (Need edit bootenv script in 6th partition for WDMC Gen1 or direct write to nand flash in others)

sorry, but are there any manuals for that?

Hibernation as in power options, it was causing a kernel panic trying to suspend the drives multiple times a day, disabling hibernation resulted in 100% stability of DSM 6

Disable DSM hibernation

100%???:cry:
What about My Cloud Mirror Gen2??:cry:

Sorry to hear that, @Fox_exe
I am trying to learn C++ now and hope it help.

Few days ago, I learned to restore WDOS for my MCM G2 and depress the reset button for forty seconds but it did not start from USB drive ,and the red SYS LED blinked all the time. If I just pluged USB drive in then poweron the device, all three red LEDs blink.During these two attempts the network LEDs seemed OK but I still cant find the IP address with my router. I didnt plug any HardDrive in because my important data, did it matter?

I used Wireshark to find out what does the network do today and just like this

it seemd like the network working but I cant get the webui using that ip address

So maybe I should try UART? How to restore it by using UART ? Please?
Now I cant start it both from DSM or WD recovery. Sad…:confused:
What should I do the next step please?
Thank you ,please!