After Mycloud Home updated to version 9.5.0-186 lost permissions

Hello,
After WD discontinued WD Discovery I activated the local network share, mapped it and it was working correctly, accessing trough network via my PC with no problems.
Abou 5 days ago received the notification on the android app that the Mycloud device has been updated.
Since then, I can only see what files are on the share, but when I try to open it says I have no permissions to open any of them. On the app and via web interface works ok, but the share changed to this. Has anybody had the same problem? And a solution to this? They keep changing everything and the Mycloud is starting to get less and less usefull day by day. I also noticed that in between updates, the method of suspending hard drive has changed, previously would park the heads inside and turn off, now it just goes of and you hear the heads clicking and the drive squeaking a bit.

1 Like

You have no way of knowing this unless you have recordings of the sounds before and after the updates. Download the debug_logs.tar and look at the smartdata log file (ā€¦\system info\log)to see the number of hours and the reallocated sector ct and reallocated event count. The average lifetime of a hard disk drive is 2.5 years (samples size is in the tens of thousands), the warranty on the MCH is 2 years.

Any time you hear unfamilar noises from a hard disk, the first thing to consider is to ask whether there is a recent backup (through the USB port is the fastest).

What has changed in the MCH firmware is a newer version of Debian Linux and Samba is now running on the MCH and the result is an improvement as long as the hardware is not malfunctioning. This has been shown in another post:

Well updated versions even though welcomed should not exclude the possibility of bugs or WD messing upā€¦
Hopefully, this will sort out by itself.

Log out and back in after firmware update.
Re-mount network share if needed.

I encountered an issue is the Local Network Access suddenly not working few days ago. WD has not come back to me to solve the issue. WD keep reducing the function of this product. Unfortunately is I just bought it for a month. I think it terrible if WD decided to reduce the support of the product, they should stop selling it, instead of keep reducing the after sales support. This is extremely unfair to those new buyers.

Home users buy stuff they donā€™t understand. You should return the unit if you still could.

The My Cloud Home hardware is dated and has not changed in 5 year and all the good, the bad and ugly are posted on the various forums without much censorship, this is in contrast to the lack of information on a lot of other vendors.

Hello I can actually know because there is more history on this my cloud home device device, I had a Mycloud 2 tb before this one and it worked really good, until I had a problem with current that even went over my UPS and killed my mycloud, then I bought a My Cloud Home 4 TB about 3 Years ago and worked correctly also and when there was a major update about one year and a half ago(sorry I donĀ“t remeber the versions), after that the hard drive noise changed, I work on IT so I recognize the noises and I also work next to it, I noticed that in stead of parking the Hard drives heads and then turning off it would just turn off hitĀ“s the heads and make a very little squeak noise, just like when you unplug power straight away, Knowing WD for more than 20 years I thought wellā€¦ that could be solved on the next update. The problem was that the noise got louder and louder, I took it to the supplier and as soon they heard the noise, they replaced it immediatly about one year ago, so this is the second one I have. When I turned it on did the setup, the version of the software was jus 3 or 4 versions outdated, butā€¦ there was the same noise that persists until todayā€¦ I noticed that the standby feature has improved, a few versions before it was constantly turnig the hard drive on a and off a lot, but now is much better, so this is why I referred the hard drive situation. I have a hard drive plugged and perform backups regularly so not a problem there. Also here the warranty is 3 years by law so If the noise goes up again I will take it again to the supplier.

Hello,

I have already tried to disconnect, even tried on a different pc, turned the share off on the dashboard left it like that for one day, then turned it onā€¦ changed the user and pass on the dashboardā€¦ and still does not work, the apps and trough the browser works correctly just not the share, also tested making a folder putting files on it and throught the mapped letter on the pc opens correctly, just not the files previous to the update, Is there any other solution? Had this problem previously on other updates and the only way was to wipe it completely doing setup again and restore from the backup, but it should not be this way all the timeā€¦

If you have worked in IT for years and have known WD for 20 year, you should know how to properly document your exact problem a little better by downloading the debug_logs.tar and either look at the smartdata.log as I suggested and/or file a proper support ticket with WD support.

If your warranty is 3 years, that is even better, although WD generally does not warrant home products for more than 2 years.

Hey, I donā€™t know if your are from WD just to wash the negative feedback here. If you are, then accept my returen and refund to me on behalf of WD, I will shut up and leave only good comments here and just stay away from this brand.

If you are not, I am just sharing my experience as a common consumer. I paid for it, of course I have the right to share what I feel. Even in the worst case, I donā€™t understand the stuff, shouldnā€™t WD listen to the consumersā€™ feedback and make their product more understandable to consumers? I donā€™t expect to study a course to use this stuff. I expect to plug and play, OK???

The logs are ok smart data is ok. I just recognized the noises that is it and mentioned it, that was not even the main issue, I already solved the share problem just moments ago, made a backup, wiped the device, performed setup and restored everything and it is working problem solved, but it should not be this way, had already many drives failing all of a sudden and nothing appearing on diagnostics. I canĀ“t open a support ticket because there are still no problems yet reported by the drive and the noise is still normal in a drive that is shut down all of a sudden, only if it gets louder justifies opening a support case, I hope you can understand what I am trying to explain, if to you logs are the only thing that countsā€¦ ok, but even before just counting on logs, as soon I arrive near a server and hear different noises than a drive should doā€¦ well I know already there is something wrong and if the logs donĀ“t show anything I just donĀ“t sayā€¦ all is good the server is fine. If I hear the heads clicking in a constant rithm with no change at the spinup, I donĀ“t need the logs to say there is anything wrongā€¦ ItĀ“s a matter of getting good balance between both kinds of diagnostics. I have also Sinology devices with WD hard drives and had no problems yet and the hard drives just spin down correctly and jus give me no problems. The warranty in Europe is 3 years mandatory since 2022, and manufacturers must have parts for repairs for minimum of 10 years. So when they replaced this my cloud home it was with a refund and with a new invoice so I have 3 years warranty. The representative mentioned this is something WD probably will sort one day and I hope so, because until the problem happens everything is always ā€œfineā€.

I donā€™t know anybody at Western Digital. I am a customer like everybody else except perhaps I have a dozen of these MCH storage devices and have spent nearly innumerable hours figuring them out.

If you have a problem, start a new thread of your own and document your details.

This is and was a good place to start when you started this thread.

Not really. I am pretty sure you could open a support ticket on any technical and hardware problem whether real or perceived. They would just ask you to submit a debug_logs and at least you will have a documented case of the state of hardware.

Good for you. Good for the EU, although I didnā€™t think it could apply to something you bought 3 years ago.

FYI, Apparently for the EU it is ā€œat least 2 years, which allows you to ask the seller to repair or exchange the goodā€

If you are unable to come to a solution with a seller based in another European Union Member state, in the United Kingdom, Iceland or Norway, do not hesitate to contact the European Consumer Centre of your country of residence.

Your guarantees in case of a product defect

9 August, 2022

Thanks to the European Union, for any purchase in store or on the Internet from a professional seller, you benefit from a legal guarantee of conformity of at least 2 years, which allows you to ask the seller to repair or exchange the good, or if this proves impossible, the reimbursement of the sums paid. Since January 1st 2022, this guarantee has been extended to connected goods as well as to digital content and services. The repair of the defective product is also encouraged in France. Check out our FAQ to learn all about your guarantees if you purchase a non-compliant product in the EU.*