Advanced FTP Configuration Settings

Hello - Received a WD My Cloud 4 TB drive to use as an internal FTP server. I’ve successfully configured and used the FTP service but need further configurations/settings not available through the web UI.

1. Need to have a few FTP Users accounts default to their own (home) directory when they login to the ftp server.
    IE: I can create a new user and share, FTPuser1, and enable FTP. When they login I need them to automatically go to the FTPuser1 directory not the ftp root directory.

2. Need to be able to write to the root FTP directory with admin or another created user.

I’ve spend several hours reading through the topics here and I’ve found a few solutions to modify passwd and vsftpd.conf to solve this for My Book Live and My Cloud EX2 but nothing that applies to My Cloud.

I’ve tried to follow what I found for my My Cloud but have run into road block after road block: 1. Nano isn’t on this build but I was able to use vi to edit /etc/passwd. However after rebooting the the passwd is over written. A friend that knows Linux a lot better then me suggested editing the passwd in /usr/local/config. That keeps the changes after reboot but still had no effect on the ftp home directories. Also can’t find the vsftpd.conf on this build and it appear to be using a different ftp service, pure-ftp.

Below is one example that does NOT work on My Cloud. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello,

I haven’t try this. Let’s see if any of the users on the community can share some information about it.

The v2.x single bay My Cloud overwriting any changes you make upon startup or reboot is a well known issue. There are various discussions that can be found using the forum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right, that discuss various methods or ways to try and get around this issue. Here is one such discussion which has links to two other discussions.

https://community.wd.com/t/add-cron-job-to-my-cloud-gen-2/187822

Thanks Bennor. I see how to retain settings now but I still haven’t figured out how to make a default/home directory for FTP users. Any other ideas on how to configure the ftp server?
Thanks.

Not sure what FTP server the newer v2.x version single bay/single drive My Clouds but for the older v4.x My Cloud one may be able to edit, via SSH, the /etc/vsftpd.conf file to change the settings of the FTP server. See the following post for a bit more information that may give some ideas or pointers if using a newer v2.x My Cloud.

https://community.wd.com/t/mycloud-ftp-users-home-dirs/139922/2

Of course if the /etc/vsftpd.conf file gets overwritten upon each restart of a v2.x My Cloud then it presents another issue to workaround.