503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

WD had to make it cloud based with OS5.
You couldn’t leave it the way it was

So - - - I am not sure what you mean by this?

If you don’t want access to/from the internet: You must block it. OS5 NAS units work fine without the internet.

If you do want access to the device across the internet: You must have a means to access. The two choices are:

1. Roll your own: Set up a VPN server on your network; and figure out how to make your devices talk across the internet to the NAS.

2. Let WD do all the work. There is a bunch of work associated with having WD doing the work.

Either way, somewhere you will have a server than can break or be hacked.

I have plenty to say about the implementation of OS/5; how it functions and underlying intent.
That is all independent of the security aspects and reliability of the systems. And the reliability and security aspects are what are on display now.

Of course; remember what you are actually paying for WD equipment and services: There is no monthly fee and the hardware cost is on the lower end of the market.

This is NOT OneDrive or DropBox - - → You are not paying a monthly fee for world class network security and reliability. You are getting a NAS box on your own network - - > for a single one time fee. You can argue that S* and Q* have better software for their NAS boxes (also arguably better hardware)… . . and they are also more expensive.

So pushing on toward a week now. WD says see the link above which hasn’t been updated since Monday morning. WD made me replace my EX2 two short years after they sold it to me because it wouldn’t handle theOS5 which they had to implement for more security. Against my better judgement (and all the reviews of “Best NAS” (what was I thinking)) I shelled out big $$$ for the PR4100 thinking it would be more future proof. It would be nice if WD could at least let us know what is going on and if I should start looking for yet another replacement for the expensive brick on my shelf. Come on WD, when will you resolve this?

“Of course; remember what you are actually paying for WD equipment and services: There is no monthly fee and the hardware cost is on the lower end of the market.”

Speaking for myself and probably many others, the reason I purchased WD’s hardware was specifically for the cloud service that they advertised, pushed and crowed about. I bought it twice in fact after they pulled the rug out from under my EX2.

Yeah; I hear you. Tech is not easy.
And periodic “Reinvention” of your entire tech eco-system is inevitable.
My current pain is the death of non-phone MP3 players. :slight_smile:

It is unfortunate (for us) that home based data storage is on the way out.
OS/5 was a promising avenue for home based data storage. . . .unfortunately (for us); WD has not supported OS/5 very well. The original feature set of OS/5 was VERY limited in my view (I did give it a fair shot) - - -and it has not been further developed since release. So yeah. . . I never was ready for prime time in my view; and the current trouble proves the point.

I was big into the “home cloud” stuff a few years back. . .but with the failure of OS/5 to live up to the hype (based on my experience); I have sought other paths. I DID do the “roll your own” approach for cloud access; using a NAS and a home VPN server - - → but found it not worth the hassle (vs carrying data on a small SSD drive).

Just like in the old times :slight_smile: I agree

The times ARE ALWAYS changing.

Gone are the CD players. The DVD players. Gone are the landline phones. Gone is the “internet connected NAS boxes”. Frankly; the days of the big video cards are also gone. For most: Any camera not a phone is gone. (not me, however). Oh yeah- - - when was the last time you used Cash? Or wrote a check?

Things I am avoiding to the greatest extent possible
* Non-video streaming subscriptions for ANYTHING (goodbye adobe Lightroom).
* Paid cloud storage. (Too vulnerable)
*Anything that autobills

Must admit the following is my current strategy:

Home Music: Big thumbdrive full of MP3’s - - - > using WMP as server; to USB DAC to a HomeTheater system.
Home Video: (not common): Streamed. OR USB Drive full of movies; Laptop via HDMI to a Home Theater
Mobil Music: ipod touch / Sandisk clip MP3 player
Mobil Video: streamed. Or select movies on a tablet (backup for long haul flights)
Photos: Recent: on SSD drive; Not Recent: on big USB drive (Carry 25% of time)
Documents: On SSD Drive
Backup:
Primary: NAS boxes (on home network) (These have zero internet connectivity)
Secondary: USB drives (upto a year out of date); offsite (not at home).

Well. . .that too.

The ONE good thing about Covid was the end of the office lifestyle.

Well;

to an extent WFH is reversing. For companies that are trying to grow. . . .the “return from home” edicts are creating serious (very serious) retention problems for positions where WFH is technically possible.

The “signs” . . . . . contradict. The overall economy is WAY different than pre-covid.

If you look beyond the politics; there is some serious stuff going on; which I won’t bother detailing. Suffice it to say. . . .with multiple inflationary pressures. . . yes; interest rates will rise, a few banks will collapse and a recession will be a inevitable result.

Combine this with shifts in energy infrastructure and a political realignment due to few potential big wars; . . . . . .interesting times will be the result. In the 2010’s - - -there was a “jobless recovery”. . .now, we may have a “full employment recession”.

this is my BAD EVER Device
My cloud home

1 Like

This sh*t is still down?

2 Likes

Juhu**** local access is working. Follow your mail you got 4h ago!
They opend the service to set a local access what is off by default. I just ask me WHY…

I’ve asked this question before without getting an answer. I want to access MYCLOUD OS 5 from my local network with Windows Explorer. When I go to my dashboard, it fails in retrieving the MYCLOUD information. I’ve turned off Mobile and Web App access but still can not connect to MYCLOUD.
Are there any work arounds since WD hasn’t turned back on their servers?
Danny

The last time i access my files through windows i was able to see the folders and access the files. Now if you want to see the dashboard you will actually need to click on your wd device in windows on listing devices and you can see the actually folders created. My question here is how do i access my folders outside of my home network when I am traveling? I need help with a solution!

With the WD method of remote access to My Cloud devices being down one can setup their own methods of remote access (VPN, SFTP, insecure FTP, etc.) to regain remote access to their My Cloud. There are plenty of DIY guides on the internet that explain how to setup a VPN server on one’s local network for remote access. Some consumer routers may even include the option to enable a VPN server on the router itself. Some are currently using Goodsync as a way to regain some limited remote access to their My Cloud device.

My Cloud: Install GoodSync 3rd Party App
GoodSync Free and Premium for WD My Cloud
My Cloud: GoodSync for WD Multiple Folder Sync

I’m thinking over WD should pay the GoodSync full service for their users in compensation for all this.

Using your own VPN to access files remotely is the way to go. . . . this is not the first extended WD server crash; and I doubt it will be the last.

1 Like

THANKYOU WD

Thanks to all the folks at WD for what must’ve been a huge effort the last few days
sorting this unprecedented hack.

Thanks to all the folks running and operating the forums

After all this backbiting and negative comments

Its three cheers from me

LES COMENTO QUE EL SERVICIO YA ESTA ARRIBA.