4 TB replacement failured disk

hello , I have a my book live duo 4 TB

inside of the NAS , the model number is WDC WD20-EARX but it is old version of caviar green , can I replace one of my failed drives with WD20- EZRX ??

Hi there,

I have not tried this, lets see if another user can share some information and tips on this matter.

Check my posts.

According to WD support you must have the exact same HDD.

I’m extremely disappointed and will never buy or recommend WD again. I’ve had other NAS systems and never had such problems. The fact that you can’t replace a HDD with a similar one - with the exact same model number is simply crazy.

Basically, WD NAS products only work until one HDD fails (because you can’t get a replacement HDD - they don’t make them anymore . . .) Terrible. And they admit it.

This is an official answer from WD: “Sadly, as both the My Book Live Duo and the Hitachi drive in there are end-of-life products, your best option would be to contact the place of purchase to replace the My Book as a whole and not just one drive.”

So I bought an 8TB system and two years later it’s a nice looking brick. Thanks WD.

1 Like

You can replace the disks with whatever size or model of Sata disk you want. You my find that the new disks will run hot, so just put a 80mm fan under the enclosure to cool it.

Unfortunately this was not accurate for me. Even The same model number didn’t work - I tried. Only the same model number and part number may have (couldn’t get one.)

WD admitted it as well and I got a full refund.

Many many people have swapped out the old disks for new disks of entirely different size and model. Lots of posts on this forum and the wikidot forum about it and how to do it.