2TB in WD Live TV Hub!

I know i’ve seen a lot of post out there about if you can upgrade the HDD in the WD Live TV Hub and YES! You can, I bought a WD Green 2TB 2.5 HDD, and used a docking station to clone the 1TB to the 2TB for the partition and files, then went in an expanded the partition to the remaining HDD space and it works PERFECTLY!!

I wish WD would come out with a 3TB or 4TB 2.5 then I would really be set! 

Tenyrsgone

That’s great! Glad you had success…

I wonder if putting the New drive in the Hub unformatted and then formatting it with the Hub’s formatting menu option then remove the new drive put it in a dock, put the old drive in a dock, hook both to a PC and copy over the themes and movies then put the new drive back in the hub, would have worked…??

But it’s cool that you got it done! Congrats!

Tenyrsgone37 wrote: I wish WD would come out with a 3TB or 4TB 2.5 then I would really be set! 

I don’t think that will work … internal drives over 2TB must have GPT partitions to see the full capacity.

(I have plugged a GPT partitioned drive into the USB … and it’s not recognised)

But, maybe 2 x 2TB MBR partitions will work ?  … or at worst, 4 x 1TB or 3 x 1TB partitions ?

Interesting … all this time people said these 2.5 drives would’nt physically fit ?

care to post a photo ?  … i would be interested in checking it out, thanks :smiley:

As I recall there were two models of the WD TV Live Hub sold.  In the U.S.A. a 1 TB version.  For overseas there was a 2 TB version.  And as the line was being drawn to a close I think I saw the 2 TB versions being sold here in America.

If WD releases a revamped version of their Live Hub I would buy another iteration of it if it had the following:

4 USB 3.0 ports

dual HDD bays

6 TB internal HDD

built-in Gigabit speed Power Line Network Adaptor with 4 LAN ports (Gigabit speed on each)

same set of A/V connectors plus VGA

Supremely faster CPU for moving, copying, etc data to/from the internal and external HDDs

Easy to open and upgrade internal components (RAM, CPU, HDD, etc)

Sounds like you want an Intel NUC or a Zotac, to me.

flhthemi wrote:

Sounds like you want an Intel NUC or a Zotac, to me.

or a HTPC …  going by the requested “Requirements”

4 USB 3.0 ports

dual HDD bays

6 TB internal HDD

built-in Gigabit speed Power Line Network Adaptor with 4 LAN ports (Gigabit speed on each)

same set of A/V connectors plus VGA

Supremely faster CPU for moving, copying, etc data to/from the internal and external HDDs

Easy to open and upgrade internal components (RAM, CPU, HDD, etc)

Since I have NO experience with openelc and I’m not very familiar with Linux and I hate iOS I’m looking at the Zotacs and a Win7 pro install. Android and RK3188s just aren’t what I want to deal with anymore. Can’t seem to find any really fully functional ROMs for them and not one hack of Kodi is stable enough to start properly every time on any of the devices I have. Getting passthrough to work on them has been a pain. Probably won’t be an easy achievement on a Zotac either, but MAYBE with it being Windows OS I can do it. Might even be able to hook up a Soundblaster USB I have and get it going if the Zotac can’t get it done on it’s own.

Hi All,

I wanted to add to this post as I’ve gone ahead and put a 5TB desktop hard drive into the box now. It’s REALLY easy to do if your interested in upgrading your box to larger than 2TB inside.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/I-just-put-a-5TB-desktop-hard-drive-in-my-WD-LIVE-TV-HUB/m-p/866179

Tenyrsgone37 wrote:

I’ve gone ahead and put a 5TB desktop hard drive into the box now.

Horsecrap.   There’s no room for it “in the box.” 

that’s what i kinda replied in his double-post

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/I-just-put-a-5TB-desktop-hard-drive-in-my-WD-LIVE-TV-HUB/td-p/866179

would sure love to see photographic proof :wink: