2.01.86 network/windows share FIXED!

After upgrading the first time, I was unable to connect to my network/windows share to access my movies and tv shows stored on my computer. So after trying to figure out what the problem was, I had complete success accessing my network/windows share using the instructions below.

1. Before upgrading to the latest firmware, I did a Device Reset (located in Setup, System, Device Reset)

2. I downloaded the latest firmware, unzipped the file and moved the 5 files onto a flash drive. I then plugged the flash drive into the front USB of the media player. You’ll see the new firmware upgrade pop-up. Select it and upgrade.

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivegen3_2.01.86.zip

1. After upgrading I did a Device Reset again.

2. My movies and tv shows are located on my computer so I’m using network/windows share. I went to Setup, Network Settings, Network Share Server Settings and selected ON.

3. Went to Setup, System, Media Library and selected OFF. (May be different for others depending on how you use your WD TV)

**6) I unplugged the media player.

**7) Accessed my router settings and did a reboot. (Pulling the power plug or turning the power off to your router for about 2 minutes and replugging or turning the power on will do the same thing)

**8) I then plugged the power back into the media player.

**7) You’re done! Try accessing your network/windows shares now. If not, you may need to do a Device Restart (Setup, System, Device Restart) NOT A DEVICE RESET

Like I said, it worked for me but it may not work for everyone. Hope I was able to help!

THANKS! :smiley:

Tried all that still not working for me… I can connect to my XP3 network folders as before but it always displays," there is no media available for playback". Lucky for me I have a DNLA server set up and I can just transfer my files to it for now. Everything worked flawless until this Supposed upgrade. FAIL!!! on that one WD…

After having success with the first media player update, I decided to update my second WD TV media player today following the instructions in my first post with success again. No problem accessing network/windows shares. I also updated the instructions in my first post with more details. Good luck to everyone!

What you did not try I assume is if you could connect to the network shares without doing any of this after updating. If you did you never mentioned it in your list.

Updated the first post again with more details again. I want to be sure all the info is there in hopes that someone else can access and enjoy there media files using network/windows share.

For those of you who did the update before knowing there was an issue, you might not need to do all these steps, because this just worked for me…

All I did was Step 1 and after the unit restarted, I checked Network Shares and got them right away.

Once again, this is ONLY for those of you who did the firmware update first.

Hope it helps.

I am trying to fix the network share issue since yesterday and yes it is driving me nuts.

I thought the simplest way would be to roll back the firmware to 1.16.13. Sadly I did not help in any way. The WD TV still only sees my XP notebook on the network but my Win 8.1 desktop couldn’t be found. I have tried several restarts of the workstation, WD TV and my router. No success.

After finding this thread I tried it with an reset via the button on the bottom. Box restartet und I configured the workgroup and disabled media library. Tried to find network shares but couldn’t find any. Not even the XP notebook. I then unplugged the power to restart. Now the box finds the XP notebook again but not my desktop.

Funny thing is I can see the WD TV on my desktop and I can access the box via the browser. The question is now should I try upgrading to 2.01.86 with djkilla’s method or will I resign?

What have you got to lose. Remember its not a ‘fix’ its what the original poster did and now his system works again. You may or may not be lucky but its always worth a try.

Let me first say that I HATE the Windows Firewall and I always turn it off in SERVICES. However, with Win8.1, I’m finding that it actually needs to be on.

Before I did the reset, I saw that the firewall was turned on, so I shut it off. After the reset, I went to WINDOWS SHARES and my other two Win8.1 computers showed up, but the one where I turned off the firewall did not.

I then turned the firewall back on, restarted that computer, and, what do you know, the computer showed up again in WINDOWS SHARES.

Hopefully this helps you.

I have never disabled the firewall so I don’t think there is an issue on this side. It is puzzling me that the rollback didn’t solve the problem in first place. I am resetting for the new firmware as we speak.

Followed every step but had no success. Only thing I did different was adding the workgroup name after 4) and I wasn’t sure if I should unplug it from the ethernet before installing the new firmware from the stick.

Right now, the box is bricked for me :confused:

One other way, that I also tried, was setting up an DLNA Server with Windows Media Player. The box is able to see this server and access it. When I try to access a folder the box tells me that there is no media in there. I don’t know if this is the problem of WD TV or of the DLNA Server because I can not handle mkv.

I tried same method now, but not with 2.01.86 but I used 1.16.13 instead. Still can’t see my Win 8.1 desktop on the network.

I also created a network share on my XP laptop now and copied some files to it. I can access it with WD TV and the files do also play.

At the moment I don’t know what I can still do to make it work again.

So I am back with 1.16.13 and you will not believe it but my network share is working again. Here is what I did:

I had the whole harddrive configured as a share. I checked every setting on my desktop but everything seemed right.

So I thought why not delete the the share for the harddrive and create a new share just for a folder.

I restarted the WD TV after that and let it look for network shares again. Voila there is my Desktop again and I can access the shared folder and the files in there.

I don’t know if this is the master solution but maybe it will help someone who could not see his networks shares after rolling back aswell.

Some quality testing Western Digital!!!

I updated the firmware before doing a quick google search to see if there is anything wrong with it.

*SIGH*

I updated my WV TV Live to 2.01.86 and [deleted] me my windows shares dont work anymore.

Performed a reset to factory defaults, still no luck.

I roll back the firmware to 1.16.13

STILL NO WINDOWS SHARES.

Honestly there could not have been ANY testing done on this bucket of firmware update.

Has anyone found a proper fix for this other than standing on 1 foot while pressing DEVICE RESTART haha.

Did you try what I posted, because I was in the same boat and it worked for me?

elitecool wrote:

I roll back the firmware to 1.16.13

STILL NO WINDOWS SHARES.

So it’s WD’s fault, that your network is fishy? Cause if it were a problem of the new firmware it would still be working with the old one, wouldn’t it?

So it’s WD’s fault, that your network is fishy?

The only thing fishy Techflaws is your breath!

My other branded media player sees windows shares quite happily, etc :o)

Cause if it were a problem of the new firmware it would still be working with the old one, wouldn’t it?

Well if you read my post instead of providing nothing of actual substance, it would read that even once I have rolled back the firmware I cannot view the windows shares. I WONDER WHAT THAT MEANS.

Maybe you could get a WD TV Live & perform some testing, then get back to me. Rather than be a keyboard forum warrior.

Hey pucku - thanks, I tried the firewall stuff on my windows machines (2008/XP) but it hasn’t worked.

(Why should we have to muck around with the windows machines themselves if it was working prior to firmware upgrade & then consequent rollback)

Will let you know if I get it back up & operational.

elitecool wrote:

Well if you read my post instead of providing nothing of actual substance, it would read that even once I have rolled back the firmware I cannot view the windows shares. I WONDER WHAT THAT MEANS.

he did read your post, hence his comment,

the point is if it’s still not working after rollback

then the problem isn’t in the firmware

there’s a problem in the network

Well, I don’t know if I read these certain comments in this thread or others recently, but many of the experienced people have said that it is good practice after a firmware update to clear out the entire home network, starting with modem and router, and PCs and devices and shut the whole enchilada down – remove power plugs if necessary.  Bring the system back up starting at the beginning with modem, router, then PCs and devices.  This very often clears up problems.  I reboot my entire system often, and no less than monthly.  Often nothing is wrong – I just want to keep things that way.

Has anyone in here tried this yet, and then things start working right again, or not?