2.01.86 network/windows share FIXED!

elitecool wrote:

The only thing fishy Techflaws is your breath!

Hehe, I LOL’ed.

elitecool wrote:
Well if you read my post instead of providing nothing of actual substance, it would read that even once I have rolled back the firmware I cannot view the windows shares. I WONDER WHAT THAT MEANS.

IT MEANS SOMETHING IS FISHY WITH YOUR NETWORK, GENIUS. Can’t be that difficult? If it worked fine on 1.16.13 and now doesn’t when you do a fallback on it , how is the 1.16.13 at fault?

And don’t give me that keyboard warrior BS, I’ve been using 3 WDTV LIVEs on my network for years and I’ve just upgraded to 2.01.86 on yet another network where the windows shares and NAS shares too are fully operational (without changing any settings on the connected Win7 machines).

And before you waste your fishy breath on another pointless comeback, how about joining Tony in helping you guys finding out what’s wrong?

Hello users,

Please keep this friendly. We are all here to help each others.

This is a workaround.  When will a update be available that fixes this issue?

rshadd wrote:

This is a workaround.  When will a update be available that fixes this issue?

In what way is this a workaround. Have you tried it? If it works for you then I assume that it will continue to work and therefore can be considered a fix. 

I just solved an issue with it not finding network shares that isn’t mentioned anywhere else that I can see.

You need to make sure that your subnet mask is identical across all devices, and in the router.

In my case I was using 255.255.255.0 in the WDTV, but 255.255.0.0 in the router and PC.

For some reason it didnt seem to cause a problem when running xp, but it just failed completely with win 7.

In case you don’t know how to do it, your subnet mask should be in the LAN sectin of your router config.

For windows (7) you need to go control panel->network and sharing centre

Over on the right it should say

Connections : Local area connection

or something like that.

Click on your Local area connection (or whatever appears), then properties

Click on Internet protocol version 4. (I assume you’re running ipv4 like 99.9% of people)

Properties. Where it says subnet mask make it 255.255.255.0

Save out.

Obviously use 255.255.255 in your modem and WDTV as well.

I hope this solves some problems for people. Took me a few days for it to occur to me to try this.

Why not use DHCP?

I had the very same problem and after trying every possible way to fix this (including anything mentioned in this thread) and nothing seemed to work, I decided (thinking this would never work, but I already tried everything else) go into “Files” instead of “Videos” to connect to the Windows Network Share and it picked it up instantly!! After it was set up (username + password) and I was able to see the files, I went back to the “Videos” section and now it picked it up instantly as well. It sounds almost to simple to be true, but it worked for me. :smiley:

If you shares or “server” still won’t show, double check this.

The Client for Microsoft Networks somehow uninstalled itself or something, so I followed this and all’s well again.
[url] http://smallbusiness.chron.com/reinstall-client-microsoft-networks-53198.html[/url]