WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

HELP!

I just finally upgrading, stupidly thinking that by now, WD got everything fixed. I’m at 21. I just shelled out 500 for a NAS server, which worked perfectly w/ my WD BEFORE i upgraded. Now, nothing. I rolled back to .24. Still doesn’t work.

I have a room full of people waiting to watch this.  HELP! Is there anyway i can roll back to 1.01.00??

I just want it back the way it was.  I tried resetting factory defaults. but that didnt work. 

Does anyone have even the 1.01.17 version? I’d take that if i can roll it back without bricking it.

Thanks for nothing WD.  you really blew it.

TheTooleMan wrote: 

The American saying goes, “One step forward, two steps back.”

You have to remember that “LIVE” spelled backward is “EVIL.” Think about it.

Every time I turn on my WDTV Live, it tells me about the firmware update, and I cross myself and say, “No, thank you!”

Actually I believe it was Vladimir Lenin who coined the phrase"One step forward, two steps back." which of course from an American view point fits better into the ‘Evil’ category.  :wink:

BoomerTI wrote:

HELP!

I just finally upgrading, stupidly thinking that by now, WD got everything fixed. I’m at 21. I just shelled out 500 for a NAS server, which worked perfectly w/ my WD BEFORE i upgraded. Now, nothing. I rolled back to .24. Still doesn’t work.

I have a room full of people waiting to watch this.  HELP! Is there anyway i can roll back to 1.01.00??

I just want it back the way it was.  I tried resetting factory defaults. but that didnt work. 

Does anyone have even the 1.01.17 version? I’d take that if i can roll it back without bricking it.

Thanks for nothing WD.  you really blew it.

The link below tells you in detail how to downgrade (post 2)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Update-Version-1-02-21/td-p/16917/page/2

All the firmwares are available at the link below. You have to register and sign in to see the download link.

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?s=5b1568c876b8d5e981d36e47f2e5a1b7&showforum=115

Anyone having problems with the wdtv remembering the default show subtitles setting? Mine keeps going back to Off after a couple of times connecting and disconnecting the unit from power.

Already tried resetting to factory defaults as well as using the physical reset button. This problem existed in the beta and prerelease firmware as well. :frowning:

I too updated my Firmware yesterday when I was prompted that there was a new version available…and I too cannot connect to my network shares.  If I go to the Media Servers icon I can see my PC that has the shares but can’t access it from there.  I’m having a hard time figuring out why a new Firmware update would cause so many different problems.  Shouldn’t new Firmware updates fix pre-existing problems and not create them?

I had few problems before this last update, and from the looks of it I’m one of the lucky ones.  I did have to buy a different USB Network Adapter when I hooked it to my network because the adapter that I originally purchased, although on the list of compatible adapters, wouldn’t work because it was the second version of the adapter.  The list did specify that Version 1 of the adapter was all that is compatible, but the only way you can see what version you’ve got is to open the box and look on the adapter itself…not so easy when the package is wrapped in plastic or you’re ordering it online.

Irritated-Guy wrote:

I too updated my Firmware yesterday when I was prompted that there was a new version available…and I too cannot connect to my network shares.  If I go to the Media Servers icon I can see my PC that has the shares but can’t access it from there.  I’m having a hard time figuring out why a new Firmware update would cause so many different problems.  Shouldn’t new Firmware updates fix pre-existing problems and not create them?

You talk about connecting to network shares and then say you go to the media servers icon. Are connecting via ‘network shares’ or ‘media servers’. Have got a media server running on your PC.

I do not have a media server set up, but when I go to the Media Servers icon it recognizes my system on the network…there’s nothing accessible on it (because it’s not a media server) I was just saying that the WD TV Live recognizes my system on the network but I still can’t get to my Network Shares.  When I try to select the Network Shares icon it does one of two things: it just sits there as if the option is not available, or it tells me that it can’t access the network…yet I can go on YouTube or see my system through the Media Servers icon (even though it’s useless there, as it is not a media server)…so with that, and the fact that everything was working just fine before the update, it’s most likely something wrong with the firmware update…

Try pulling the power for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Try clearing your login info and see if it prompts for that.

As a last resort, you could try setting the device back to default settings and see if that has any effect.

i tried all those last things. I down-coverted to 1.02.24  No go on that either.

*sigh* and i just spent a small fortune on a media server that worked quite well BEFORE i did the firmware upgrade (stupidly thinking WD wouldn’t remove functionality. )

Boy have i learned my lesson!

i went to the archive website you posted here. It clicked on “download xxx firmware here”.  but i find no link to dl it. The link seems to be replaced by a image.

What am i missing here?

Oh i got it. NM!

As I’ve noted in a previous post, I have the same problem when accessing shared folders with the latest firmware release.  I’ve done everything you suggested above and more,  soft reset, hard reset, powering off for an extended period of time, clearing the log-on fields, rebooting everything, including the modem & router, etc…   I repeated this several times to no avail.  Now I do have a media server in my network (HP MediaSmart Server EX-495) .  I can access files when going through the media server selection, but I’m unable to access shared folders on the media server or any other pc connected in the network.  I strongly prefer to access my files via shared folders.  Reverting back to the previous firmware version eliminates all the problems I’ve seen with the current firmware release.  When I revert back to the previous release there’s no need to reset or power off either, everything works just fine after the reboot.   There’s an obvious problem with the latest firmware release and WD needs to fix it.

Mikael:  Thanks for the suggestions…but they didn’t work either…actually I had already tried them all, but I just did them again for giggles…still nothing…  I pulled the power first yesterday after I couldn’t get my shares…figured I’d give it a clean start…nothing…then after a while I got so irritated that I reset the defaults…that didn’t do anything but make me redo all the settings…still no shares…  I guess I’ll just beat my head against the wall for a while and see if that helps…

richUK wrote:> Actually I believe it was Vladimir Lenin who coined the phrase"One step forward, two steps back." which of course from an American view point fits better into the ‘Evil’ category.  :wink:

• *> Sorry, I didn’t mean to give credit where none was due.> But then, I usually hear “Two steps forward, one step back.” I didn’t want to give WD credit for too much progress, either.

Fantastik !!!

The “Evil Live”  strikes again…

They should make a movie out of it so we can make an MKV an try unsuccesfully to play it  on the WDTV Live…

Untill after 200000 desperate firmware updates we die… and our soul will be forever trapped in the infinite space between the network shares and the WDTV Live… never able to comunicate to each other for the eternity

HAHAHAHAHAH (evil laugh) …

I just want to add my 2 cents worth. Upgrade last night and then all sorts of problems with 1.02.21. Could only see some folders on shared network but these would not open up to play media files. Re doing log in and password manually each time worked temporarily but when auto log on reselected same problem recurred. Interestingly ( now I have stopped fuming and can look back) accessing via “media server” route worked.

I have given up and thank you for info on how to roll back (need to change version number with notepad as described earlier in this post) 

NOw all fixed and will be stayingt with this older version until bugs sorted.

You dont want to be too hard on WD guys but this seems to be a common bug which should have been spotted in beta!!

Russ

Battleaxe wrote:

I have given up and thank you for info on how to roll back (need to change version number with notepad as described earlier in this post) 

Russ

Hi! To which version did you roll back to?

You’re a madman, DonFede, cut from the same warped mental fabric as me! Nice to know you.

I’m convinced the ultimate answer to these problems is to dump the WDTV Live and, instead, put a good video card in a PC so you can watch downloads and surf the net in your living room. Forget all these devices like this one and Blu Ray players with internet access. All of them present only a portion of the total capability of a well-equipped PC. The main reason I did not go that route when I bought the WDTV Live was the cost factor, but I see now that I paid for a compromise in more ways than one!

PS: not only does the WDTV Live have problems, but I have continuous trouble getting the “quote” feature of this message board to work.

I just updated to this firmware. I’ts my first update, I was running stock firmware before. Now my movies don’t play as smooth. I’ts a subtle difference but I’m curious if anyone else notices? Playback  framerate seems reduced now. I went back to stock firmware and playback seems more smooth. I don’t use networking.

TheTooleMan wrote:

You’re a madman, DonFede, cut from the same warped mental fabric as me! Nice to know you.

I’m convinced the ultimate answer to these problems is to dump the WDTV Live and, instead, put a good video card in a PC so you can watch downloads and surf the net in your living room. Forget all these devices like this one and Blu Ray players with internet access. All of them present only a portion of the total capability of a well-equipped PC. The main reason I did not go that route when I bought the WDTV Live was the cost factor, but I see now that I paid for a compromise in more ways than one!

PS: not only does the WDTV Live have problems, but I have continuous trouble getting the “quote” feature of this message board to work.

+1 to HTPC.   Check out XBMC!