WD TV Live Firmware Update - Version 1.02.21

didn’t even try this FW. Still on the previous beta.

Back to 1.01.24 and all sweet

Had the same issue with acces to network shares as many off you describe.

I solved it by doing a ‘Reset to factory defaults’ of the box.

Now everything seems to be working without any issues.

Best regards

JMA

Just spent some time playing movie files through the new firmware and found the following:

Have not got networking problems as many describe. I have done full reset and didn’t have network problems with other firmwares any way.

Still have video/audio synch issues with BR rips especially when on digital setting rather than stereo

Now have new problem of audio glitches on DVD Rips (mkv, avi etc) which slight sounds drops on digital and complete audio stuttering on stereo setting.

Expect to revert back to pre release firmware, where I did not have the new problems.

I do feel that is 1 step forward and 5 steps back WD. I bought this player at Christmas as a HD movie streamer connected to amp via optical lead and TV through HDMI. So far no one in the family is impressed. I hope my decision is not a wasted £100.:cry:

OK this is really weird. I’ve been reading about all of the problems with the latest firmware update especially concerning the artwork and it showing up on network shares. I had no issues updating to the new firmware with the exception of the artwork not showing up.

This was really frustrating, but I read through all of the forums and found that if you rename the artwork to “Folder.jpg” the artwork shows up on the folder. If you want to have the artwork show for the movie file name it the movie file.jpg. You’ll end up seeing multiple images, but at least you’ll see it.

wolfmanii wrote:

I hope my decision is not a wasted £100.:cry:

Sorry, but yes you wasted your money, as I did.  IMHO this product is a total “dud”.

MatthewS wrote:

wolfmanii wrote:

I hope my decision is not a wasted £100.:cry:

Sorry, but yes you wasted your money, as I did.  IMHO this product is a total “dud”.

Your opinion is only based on the fact that you cannot play some of your .mkv files correctly (or thats mostly what you have complained about).  I have no problem playing my .mkv files or DVD rips or mp3’s etc. or photos or youtube or flickr or live365. My network does not drop and I can connect to my computers and NAS via network shares. I have been up and down with firmware and never bricked my unit.

It has its problems and limitations but in no way can it be described as a ‘dud’.

I could reproduce the problem regarding FF/FRev with mpeg2 I reported for the prerelease (1.02.19):

With MPEG files (recorded from sat, demuxed&cut with ProjectX, remuxed with Muxxi) if you jump to a specific position (Pos A) in the movie with 10 minutes jumps, then hit fast backward to some earlier scene (Pos B) and press play there the movie starts playing somewhere around Pos A (and not Pos B) as one would expect. If you now hit fast backward again to Pos B and press play again the movie still starts at Pos A.

I could verify the problem with two other mpegs. One mkv I tested seemd to work as expected.

As a workaround it seems to help *remuxing* the mpeg2 into an mkv using mkvmerge. So the bug seems to be container related.

On the other hand I had problems with async video/audio in an mkv (h.264/ac3) these days. Pause/Play, Rewinding didn’t solve this. Restarting the movie and jumping (10 minute jumps)  to the place helped, then a stop and “continue” from the menu also resulted in sync. audio/video. So in principle the WD TV Live is able to keep both streams sync.

This async bug is really annoying, even if you know workarounds it’s the last thing you want to do in the middle of a good movie… Though certainly better than the 3 second async sound we’ve experienced.

Everything streamed from a Twonky 4.4.18 server via LAN, output via HDMI.

Hello,

just want to let you know (or even WD if they are interested), that USB Wifi Adapter with RALink Chipset (Digitus) stopped working after update to Version 1.02.21.  This adapter is not on list of supported adapters but it was working perfect before I updated to 1.02.21. I reverted back tu 1.01.24 and it works again!

Regards,

rocker75.

rocker75 wrote:

Hello,

just want to let you know (or even WD if they are interested), that USB Wifi Adapter with RALink Chipset (Digitus) stopped working after update to Version 1.02.21.  This adapter is not on list of supported adapters but it was working perfect before I updated to 1.02.21. I reverted back tu 1.01.24 and it works again!

Regards,

rocker75.

You should have reset to factory defaults, reset via the side button and unplugged for some minutes. This sometimes overcomes problem like yours.

This FW has caused me a big trouble. I’m stuck at 480p even if I manually change the video settings to 1080p. I tried all the possible steps like FW downgrade, Rest factory settings and WD Reset Button. I called WD today and they said that they will replace the unit but I have to wait for 2 weeks or more since they have to check the defect.

Sorry, can you expand on what you mean. ie. set-up types of files, how do you know it is stuck at 480 etc. This seems an odd one so would be nice to know more.

This is what’s happening.

When I turn on the WDTV I get a display that the input is HDMI 720P on my HDTV. Once the WDTV  home screen loads up the input display changes to 480P. I checked my Audio and Video settings and the option I chose was 1080P 60hz. This was not a problem before the FW upgrade since I always get the HDMI 1080P display each time I turn it on.

Play to won’t play a url saved to a playlist like a radio station…

BigDaddy27 wrote:

This is what’s happening.

When I turn on the WDTV I get a display that the input is HDMI 720P on my HDTV. Once the WDTV  home screen loads up the input display changes to 480P. I checked my Audio and Video settings and the option I chose was 1080P 60hz. This was not a problem before the FW upgrade since I always get the HDMI 1080P display each time I turn it on.

This is very odd and as far as I recall not a reported issue here. Can you confirm:

The brand/model of your HDTV

The firmware version of you WDTV

Have you reporterd this to WD tech support?

How are you connecting, i.e. only via HDMI cable or are you also using the composite cables?

Also have you reset the box to factory defaults since the upgrade?

The home screen loads pretty instantly so are you saying for a brief moment you are at 720p and then as soon as the icons appear the screen switches to 480P.  Are movies also playing at 480p

My media server connection seems to be less stable with this firmware.

As per my sig, I’m using TVersity (1.8, latest official version) as the media server on Vista x64.

The issue first became apparent when playing MP3 files.  The connection would be lost after 1 or 2 songs (in worst case it would cut out during the first song).  It’s impossible to play a whole album (10 tracks).

I also tried playing a film, which seemed to be working fine but then cut out after 15 minutes or so.  This was duplicable.

To rule out my connection as a potential cause, I then tried playing the same files via network share.  They play without issue.

To rule out TVersity as a potential cause, I played several MP3 tracks without issue streaming to a laptop and I’m currently 28 minutes into the same film that regularly bombed out in less than 20mins on the Live.

I’m happy using network shares but the loss of TVersity means I’ve lost access to ShoutCast and other radio streams, which is irritating but not a deal breaker.  

My internet is too slow for reliably streaming Hulu or Netflix, otherwise I’d really be annoyed.  ;)

Yes. I’m not sure what’s causing this problem. It’s really frustrating. I returned the WDTV Live and waiting for WDs replacement.

The brand/model of your HDTV - Panasonic Viera TH- 42C10S

The firmware version of you WDTV - 1.02.21

Have you reporterd this to WD tech support? - Yes. The technician recommended for me to send this to WD for replacement

How are you connecting, i.e. only via HDMI cable or are you also using the composite cables? - HDMI to HDTV and Optical Cable to HT

Also have you reset the box to factory defaults since the upgrade? - I did a lot of times. I also rolled back the firmware.

The home screen loads pretty instantly so are you saying for a brief moment you are at 720p and then as soon as the icons appear the screen switches to 480P.  Are movies also playing at 480p - You are correct. Input when I turn it on says HDMI 720P on the WD logo but when the Home Screen loads up it shows input is 480P. My Video setting is  HDMI 1080P 60Hz. This is really odd.

Must be a faulty box, or cable. Hope the replacement works.

The Panasonic Viera TH-42C10S is an older 720p model (1024x768 panel) that accepts 1080p input.  

Given it is just downsampling to 720p on the TV set, why didn’t you output in 720p…?

What happens when you set the output resolution to AUTO instead of forcing 1080p/60hz?

On my Panasonic Viera TH-C42FD18 (1920x1080 panel), I set the HDMI output to AUTO and the TV set correctly identifies as 1080p.   

Good luck with the new unit, let us know how you get on.

I also tried that. Auto and 720p does not change the input display. It gets stuck at 480p. Local WD distributor in Manila is slow. I was informed that I have to wait for about 2 weeks. I just hope that it’s worth the wait.