WD My Cloud Problems

I brought a WD My Cloud three weeks back and installed on my home network no problems. I can access the drives from iPhone/iPad and remote Mac via WD My Cloud desktop app. However, I cannot map the drive in the same respect as DropBox or GDrive and so on. I called WD Support and was told to go to www.wd2go.com which I did. I was told by support that I could map a drive on a remote computer through the browser application on this web site. However, on visiting the site the first problem was the failed HTTPS. The second problem was no Java support. So I accepted the risk and downloaded the Java package to Chrome - no joy - didn’t work. So I tried Safari  - no joy - didn’t work. The I tried  Firefox  - no joy - didn’t work. Essentially NOTHING worked and so the support guy asked for screen shots which I duelly sent - all five of them with each step. Now this is interesting because support guy number one told me and I quote “y_ou cannot create a mapped drive on a remote computer with WD My Cloud_” where as support guy number two told me I could. If they don’t know who does?

The recommendation by WD was to save files locally then drag and drop them into the cloud. Seriously? You may as well have just told me to buy a pen drive and drag and drop to that then take it home with me!!!

Worse still is that I cam on this forum and looked into the Java problem only to find that it’s been ongoing since 2011 some 4 years ago!!! One of the BASIC functions of a CLOUD is that it performs like your hard drive accept you can access it from anywhere but even though the WD My Cloud is SOLD to do just that it clearly falls very short of the mark.

I am a fair man - I told the support guy to come back to me by the end of the day today with some kind of answer. If they don’t I will start dragging WD through the mud and give them a PR headache they will feel for a LONG time!!!

You should be able to map the WD My Cloud as a drive on your Mac while connected on your local network by following the general steps  at this link even though the steps do not specificity apply to the WD My Cloud. Also see the WD My Cloud User Manual, in particular Chapter 3, Getting to the Public Share for more information on how to map a drive on a Mac (or a PC). Or see  this link for the general steps to map a NAS drive to a Mac.

For remote access, one needs to configure their WD My Cloud for remote access first. This includes configuring the user account on the WD My Cloud that you intended to use as the remote login. See  this link for more information on configuring the WD My Cloud for remote access, in particular click on Action 3, Action 4 and Action 5 for the specific configuration steps. Also see the WD My Cloud User Manual, in particular Chapter 9 for more information on configuring the My Cloud for remote access.

No sorry - it does not work! It is set up for remote access and the WD Desktop app works fine but I need to MAP the drive remote which I am told can be done throught the site wd2go.com - however, it won;t load thanks to a Java 8 error on any browser (Safari, Firefox, Konquoror, Lynx, Opel, Opera and Chrome on three different MAC and 1 LINUX box). So I either drag and drop or nothing which frankly I could buy a better device to carry around with me which defeats the object of ’ CLOUD’ am I right?

I’ll explain better…

I am 100 miles form my CLOUD yes? I create a file and I " SAVE AS" - Now where do I put that? There’s no linked drive, there’s no icon, there’s no desktop mounted drive. I have to save it to the desktop then copy and paste to the My Cloud Desktop APP in the same way one might do to a pen drive or portable hard disk yes? In fact a portable disk would be BETTER than this My Cloud because you CAN mount that and you CAN “SAVE AS” to it correct?

The term CLOUD is very loosly factual - In fact it’s pretty **bleep** as far as what it is supposed to do yes?

I appreciate you comming back to me so thank you and my anger is with the manufacturers not you guys but looking here the Java error goes back to 2011?!? I hope I don’t have to wait so long just to use what I brought in good faith!

You have to have Java installed and enabled within the web browser for the WD2Go.com site to work properly. See this linkfor more information on installing Java to Mac OS X. See  this link for more information on installing Java to Ubuntu Linux. Or see  this link for all platforms.

You also have to enable or accept the “certificate” if you get a certificate warning message or a message indicating “This Connection is Untrusted”. If you get the “This Connection is Untrusted” message, select “I Understand the Risks”, then select “Add Exception…”, when the Add Security Exception message appears, click “Confirm Security Exception”.

On some Mac computers you may have to do something like the following:

Select Preferences

Select Security

Click on Manage Website Settings Button

Scroll to and select Java

Select the WD device if listed

Click on the dropdown next to the WD device if listed and select run in unsafe mode at bottom of list

Click trust

Reload the WD2Go website

I am running Java 8 and updated this morning before I went on wd2go.com. I enable exceptions in OSX and added both sites. I restarted the browser (all of them) and it still bounces to Java.com web site telling me it is not installed. Trust me I have done all of this thank you and have had it tested live by Java.com too. I have 30 years experience in programming and run a programming company so I know how it works. The site is failing or the box itself is faulty. Either way it does not work and therefore not fit for purpose. WD are on to it and have told me there’s nothing else I can do. I have even been through my own settings with support and still nothing.

When you go to the  https://www.java.com/en/download/installed8.jsp site and click on Verify Java Version button, what happens? 

After clicking the Verify Java Version button you may have to select “Activate Java” or select “Run” on the “Do you want to run this application” dialog box. If Java is successfully installed and detected you should get a message like the following:

Verified Java Version

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 8 Update 51). 

If you do not get a similar message then Java is not properly configured on the computer or browser.

As usual a resounding NO it doesn’t work. Latest Java is ON and I have even tried on Firefox 39 still nothing. I go to wd2go.com and it bounces me to the Java.com page. All I have brought is a glorified Network Hard Disk! If I wanted one of those I would have brought one for less money! The desktop ap is fine, it connects so tell me why the web doesn’t? They say it’s my set up! What? On a standard Sky BB connection - MacBook, Windows, Linux and iMac all set up wrong? Why should it be this **bleep** difficult? Why not add the ability to MAP to the desktop AP? Surely that makes sense? I notice the same issue again and again since 2011 - Java, Java, Java! My question: “Has the Western Digital My Cloud EVER truly worked as it is advertised or have we all been conned?” P.S. The support so far regardless of fix has been very good thank you but you cannot turn mud into gold!

deemjay68 wrote:

As usual a resounding NO it doesn’t work. Latest Java is ON and I have even tried on Firefox 39 still nothing. I go to wd2go.com and it bounces me to the Java.com page. All I have brought is a glorified Network Hard Disk! If I wanted one of those I would have brought one for less money! The desktop ap is fine, it connects so tell me why the web doesn’t? They say it’s my set up! What? On a standard Sky BB connection - MacBook, Windows, Linux and iMac all set up wrong? Why should it be this **bleep** difficult? Why not add the ability to MAP to the desktop AP? Surely that makes sense? I notice the same issue again and again since 2011 - Java, Java, Java! My question: “Has the Western Digital My Cloud EVER truly worked as it is advertised or have we all been conned?” P.S. The support so far regardless of fix has been very good thank you but you cannot turn mud into gold!

When you say “a resounding no it doesn’t work”, WHAT exactly doesn’t work? Did you go to the link I provided to test your Java installation? If so does it indicate Java is installed correctly? If Java is not installed correctly that is NOT the fault of WD or the My Cloud device. That is a problem specific to your computer. To use the WD2Go.com site you must have Java installed and functioning within the browser correctly.

There are quite a few of us who have no problems using the WD My Cloud remotely either via the WD2Go site, with the WD My Cloud Desktop app, with the iOS and Android OS WD MY Cloud apps. On my Windows 7 PC I have successfully connected remotely through the WD2Go site to the WD My Cloud with; Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox.

I assure you I have done EVERYTHING. I have run it in my Jscript bedding field and got through most security and than this!

Besides all this everything I have been asked to do is WAY above the home user so are we to assume that the Western Degitial My Cloud is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE? So far I have spent most of my day trying to make it do what is says on the box and if I keep meeting brick walls I will take the matter a LOT further and trust me here - I can!

Why are you still selling this device when you cannot make it work? Read:  http://www.zdnet.com/article/western-digital-users-are-fed-up-with-my-cloud-failures/

deemjay68 wrote:

I assure you I have done EVERYTHING. I have run it in my Jscript bedding field and got through most security and than this!

The image you linked to is not showing up. Do you have an alternate link to the image you were trying to post?

deemjay68 wrote:

Why are you still selling this device when you cannot make it work? Read:  http://www.zdnet.com/article/western-digital-users-are-fed-up-with-my-cloud-failures/

I think you should be asking “Why are you still selling this device when *I* cannot make it work?”

It works fine for me and countless bazillions of others…

The article you cite is almost 16 months old.   

I put it public but I guess there’s no reason the WD forum should work correctly either :slight_smile:

Try this  http://andersrobertscheer.co.uk/Java.jpg

No that’s not because when a product is sold it must work to those values detailed in the advert. This is clearly not doing so and as such is in fact a breach of my consumer rights and any more talk like that I shall take matters to the director of the company via ZDNET magazine. Now I appreciate your help but judging by the responses on the forums AND magazines there is a KNOWN Java issue therefore accusing ME of being stupid would be foolish as director of one of the UK’s largest web development companies so I would be VERY careful accusing me when I have an email saying there is a KNOWN issue OK? That is admission of LIABILITY.

WESTERN DIGITAL PLEASE ANSWER THIS:-

1. My cloud is 100 miles away form me now OK?
  2. I am trying to mount the cloud onto my machine here so that I can access files through applications.
  3. Presently I cannot see the cloud through my applications ok?
  4. The desktop ap works fine but I cannot nor do I see the point in dragging and dropping files into the cloud as I could have just a portable hard drive yes?
  5. Also, I cannot open files through applications this way correct?

NO HERE’S THE RUB…

YOU say I can MAP the drive through the wd2go.com web site yes? YOUR WORDS YES? You told me this agreed?

BUT - Your web site DOES NOT WORK therefore I am left with an expensive portable hard drive am I not?

As a programmer myself and given I am being somewhat brand that “I” cannot use the web site HOW THE bleep DOES THE AVERAGE USER DO IT???

In a nutshell for example:- I have a DOC file on the cloud. I open my WORD application, I select OPEN from the menu - where is my WORD file? Do you see the problem here? Without mapping it is USELESS!

So I drag and drop to my desktop to open it… I edit it and save it - the phone goes - ring ring ring ring… Next day I am back in office. OH NO!!! I go to open my edited WORD document and it’s STILL ON MY DESKTOP because the drive AIN’T MAPPED!!!

Do you NOW understand??

deemjay68 wrote:

I put it public but I guess there’s no reason the WD forum should work correctly either :slight_smile:

Try this  http://andersrobertscheer.co.uk/Java.jpg

That screen capture appears to indicate you have the Java Deployment Rule Set deployed either on your system or enterprise wide at your location. The Deployment Rule Set allows enterprise managers to control what Java applications their employees, or their client machines, can access and run. As is indicated at this link; “The Deployment Rule Set feature is optional and is intended only to be used by an organization with a controlled computing environment.” More specific information on the Deployment Rule Set can be found at this link.

The problem you are facing is NOT the fault of the WD organization, it is not the fault of the WD My Cloud device, and it is not the fault of the WD2Go website. The problem is entirely ON YOUR END!!! The problem lies with how the Java Deployment Rule Set is configured either on your computer or by the enterprise organization. Contact your enterprise administrator to see if they can adjust the Java Deployment Rule Set for your computer to allow the WD2Go site to operate properly.

On all three HOME computers? I find that VERY unlikely and why did WD themselves say there where problems with Java? There’s NO firewall, there are no corporation rules NOTHING and the same thing happens on a BASIC Windows laptop in the local coffee shop so I am afraid your comments are silly being that WD have ADMITTED A PROBLEM?

The location I am in is A HOUSE not an office A HOUSE and what’s more it isn’t mine it is my partners who is NOT IN IT therefore everything is standard therefore again your comments are a bit daft no?

What your post is actually saying is that I am responsible for YOUR poor Java scripting? You are saying I have to reprogram a HOME COMPUTER in order to make YOUR WEB SITE WORK? Does anyone else see how pathetic that sounds???