WD My Cloud Problems

I have just aksed a remote mate of mine to wire in to my machine. For information he is a Java Developer and used to run a company that produced BLACK ICE firewall. He now contracts to Lloyds Bank PLC so I guess he knows what he is on about. Sure enough it is the fault of the deployment onto the WD web site! Would you like a signed paper from him proving negligence?

The guys taking their own time to try to help you solve your problem don’t work for WD. It’s not their product or their code.

Almost no members on this site work for WD; we’re just customers like you, trying to help each other out.

deemjay68 wrote:

What your post is actually saying is that I am responsible for YOUR poor Java scripting? You are saying I have to reprogram a HOME COMPUTER in order to make YOUR WEB SITE WORK? Does anyone else see how pathetic that sounds???

First I am not employed by WD, nor am I paid by them to help people such as yourself on this support forum. Many who post here in efforts to help others are similarly doing so on thier own free time at their own free will.

Second, it is your computer’s Java settings that are blocking the ability to run the WD2Go java code. WD cannot control how your computer is configured and what software, including which version of Java, is installed on it. If you open up the Java Control Panel on your computer you can see if the Deployment Rule Set is active and how it is configured. The screen capture below (from Oracle) shows how to access the Deployment Rule Set on the Java Control Panel.

One can read more about the Java Deployment Rule Set at this Oracle blog posting. That blog posting indicates that the Deployment Rule Set is intended for enterprise users to manage their own configurations.

On my PC’s I do not see this Deployment Rule Set on my Java Control Panel’s Security tab. I am running Java version 8 Update 51 that was downloaded from this link. I have NO problems running the WD2Go site on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome. Below is how the Java Control Panel’s Security tab looks on my PC.

Ok well I apologise to you and thank you for helping. I thought you were WD themselves but I was wrong. Sorry.

Asides which all avenues are exhausted so I am writing my own J application to sync data local to the WD desktop ap. That seems to work so I can just sync every few hours and no problem. I do believe it should work like DropBox though but am I alone in this?

I hear what you are saying but it makes no difference and WD support themselves sat with me on the phone and we both went through settings and nothing works. There are exceptions in J for the deployment and I have run it on several browsers all of which do not work even on a different network. I have changed J settings here there and everywhere and it doesn’t make a difference to anything even a Windows PC that is Factory Fit! Can anyone answer me this - WD support told me that accessing the wd2go.com web site WILL allow me to MAP my cloud drive remotly (100 miles from home) - Is this true because I am hearing a lot of people say no and WD say yes! Running ghosted to JDK throws exceptions left right and centre. Surely this isn’t supposed to do this? Surely the My Cloud is not for advanced programmers? My problem is I brought it to be like the cloud and clearly it isn’t because it behaves remote like a portable hard drive only. It is advertised as a REALL alternative to Gdrive or DropBox but it really isn’t. An average user cannot be expected to mess about at this level to get the thing to work! The very basic task of say opening WORD and browsing to your documents is NOT POSSIBLE thus it is nothing more than a glorified network hard drive.

I do believe it should work like DropBox though but am I alone in this?

I don’t generally use the cloud access (have you seen the reports about security holes
?), so I don’t know if it supports mapping remote drives. It would be nice/rational if it did. Asked only last week:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/OS-X-Finder-Integration-Dropbox-like/m-p/887778

Bennor, Tony; what’s your experience? Thanks.

By the way, deemjay, as a computer professional, you should probably advise your partner to install a firewall of some sort

I switched it off while trying to resolve these issues - trust me - there’s a very good one!

I went for the WD My Cloud because it promoted itself as a safer option then DropBox as you rightly say - there are issues with security! However, I deal with hundreds of files a day and syncing them one to the other really isn’t a good option due to lag bugs creeping in particularly with CoCo API development. Having a cloud to sync as soon as I save is why I brought this but as you say with no mapped real drive I cannot open and save within applications leaving me to copy over thousands of files and copy them back at the end of the day. Losing any during the process will have some VERY serious issues.

Thanks

Yes, the MyCloud is essentially a NAS with added features, which, in my experience, aren’t that well implemented. And yes, getting those features to work sometimes requires Linux admin-level skills. It’s not the ‘simple 1-2-3’ experience it’s advertised to be. And I’ve not found Support to be particularly well-informed or useful. Polite and attentive, yes.

But both my drives cost me less than the price of the HDD they contain. Yours probably did too, if you shopped carefully.

Since you mention Sky, I’m guessing you’re in the UK. If you think it’s falsely marketed, go for a refund under UK consumer law: SoGA and/or TDA.

Having a cloud to sync as soon as I save is why I brought this but as you say with no mapped real drive I cannot open and save within applications leaving me to copy over thousands of files and copy them back at the end of the day. Losing any during the process will have some VERY serious issues

If you’re looking for a device for professional software development, I don’t think a consumer-grade NAS is the answer. Especially if you’re just using the single drive version, with no RAID redundancy (which is what this forum is about).

Splash some proper cash on a multi-drive, professional-grade RAID device, or pay for a proper cloud service.

I have a question: are you using VPN software on your laptop?

cpt_paranoia wrote:

I do believe it should work like DropBox though but am I alone in this?

I don’t generally use the cloud access (have you seen the reports about security holes
?), so I don’t know if it supports mapping remote drives. It would be nice/rational if it did. Asked only last week:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/OS-X-Finder-Integration-Dropbox-like/m-p/887778

Bennor, Tony; what’s your experience? Thanks.

I don’t have a Mac so cannot comment on exactly how the remote sharing would work under OS X. When using the WD2Go site/service the WD My Cloud is, in a sense, mapped to one’s computer. It shows up as if it were another hard drive. You can see it in the circled red areas in the following screen capture. Sorry about the black boxes but it is redacting some identifying information.

Let me add a few personal comments here, they are not meant to offend anyone reading this thread. The WD My Cloud like many lower cost consumer electronic devices are designed for and intended to be used by the widest number of consumers. There for the interface and features are dumbed down to make the product as appealing as possible to the masses. As such it is designed to be run on the widest number of generic system configurations as possible. By and large that customer base is not very computer literate and most won’t bother to read the user manual. They want a simple device that can be setup quickly and be used for both local and remote storage/access. They don’t care, do not understand, and are mostly not concerned by the security implications that are presented with remote access. By and large the WD My Cloud accomplishes this task. It is first and for most a LOW COST Network Attached Storage Device that includes a Media Server and the ability to access the NAS remotely through the use of WD My Cloud Desktop, iOS, Android apps and the WD2Go.

For most people they won’t have problems. In the original poster’s case they appear to have a version of Java installed that conflicts with the ability to run Java code utilized by the WD2Go site to implement the remote access technology. Cannot remember the acronym for the remote access technology off hand at the moment. Because the computing environment is so diverse there is no way any company, let alone WD, can program for every instance or variation. As such there are going to be instances as evidenced by this thread where certain people, unless they change their computer setup, will not be able to properly utilize either the remote features of the WD My Cloud or other features of the device. Of course people want to blame WD for that rather than change or reconfigure their own unique software/hardware setup or configuration on their computer system.

The WD My Cloud is not designed for the technical minded geek who is seeking a more robust NAS/remote access solution on the cheap. This support forum is filled with discussions on trying to get the WD My Cloud to do things it was not designed to do that more expensive NAS units can do easily. The WD MY Cloud is a compromise of features that mostly accomplishes what it was designed to do. There are some issues, like the UI interface and Twonky integration that could be better handled or fixed. But those issues generally don’t affect the general usability of the device for many. There are elements (more precisely the lack of elements) of the UI and Twonky integration that are just down right stupid and if fixed would greatly enhance people’s usability of the WD My Cloud.

While I won’t speak for others I’ve had very few problems if any configuring two WD My Cloud devices. They generally work fine for those who use them once they understand the limitations of the WD My Cloud device. For some there is a learning curve involved to understand the NAS and cloud concept. Far too many expect the WD My Cloud to be like DropBox and other online storage sites. They see the word “cloud” and make an assumption. Then are frustrated when the device doesn’t work like they assumed it would. If you want DropBox like features and functionality then (sorry to say) **bleep** it up and pay for DropBox. Otherwise you are going to be frustrated with many of the entry level NAS devices.

As mentioned both in this thread and elsewhere, there are some serious security issues with how remote access is handled by the WD My Cloud. On a side note, the remote FTP access is absolutely not secure simply because of the insecurity of the FTP protocol in the first place. the fact is that any form of remote access to any device presents a potential level of insecurity. Just about any consumer electronic device with internet remote access can be hacked, some much quicker than others. If you need enterprise level security for remote access then buy an enterprise level (and cost) device with enterprise level remote access.

I could continue this wall of text with further thoughts but will refrain from doing so. :smiley:

1 Like