Thumbnail / Picture Size (for grid view?)

I am new to the forums & am the proud new owner of a WD TV Live Hub 1tb. Got it from Amazon while on sale for $149.95, from their regular $195.95 price. Really lucky I guess.

Anyways, I’ve had it connected to our tv and already watched an .mkv movie with a connected external WD HDD (2tb). All good.

Disconnected the HDD and am now building custom folders as per what I’ve found either here or on youtube tutorials. Folder matches movie name; ‘Evil Dead’ and within the folder is; Evil Dead.mkv, Evil Dead.jpg, & folder.jpg. The folder.jpg is a copy of the picture ofcourse just renamed as folder.jpg.

I haven’t connected my external HDD back to the hub yet as I’m now unsure what the picture size needs to be. I have downloaded the pictures using google and they are all various sizes. I looked on these forums as well as on youtube but didn’t find anything definitive.

Any help would be appreciated. THX

1. There isn’t a “Definitive” size for Thumbnails

2. If you use the Hub’s Scraper (which scrapes the http://www.themoviedb.org/ )

it downscales 1000x1500 posters to 185x278 approx 20-30 KB

(the old wdtv units … recommended size was 120x180)

Resolution / Filesize …   are a factor in Image Quality / Navigation Speed

Which is fine if your are using the “Mochi Default Theme”   (eg. grid view)

Custom “Themes” may require something higher …

eg. i use 300x450 @ under/around 70KB  and Image quality and Navigation Speed is Acceptable to me.

other people recommend 200x300 (which is fine as well)

Experiment

1 Like

BokaSyn09 wrote:

Disconnected the HDD and am now building custom folders as per what I’ve found either here or on youtube tutorials. Folder matches movie name; ‘Evil Dead’ and within the folder is; Evil Dead.mkv, Evil Dead.jpg, & folder.jpg. The folder.jpg is a copy of the picture ofcourse just renamed as folder.jpg.

Any help would be appreciated. THX

You might find your arrangement will interfere with some themes and will add additional button pushes from the remote to get to the movie and play it. MOST of us create genre folders and just place the movie files inside of the genre folder.

Movies <Folder>

Action <Folder>

Batman Begins.mkv <Movie File>

A Good Day To Die Hard.mkv <Movie File>

Drama <Folder>

The Good Life.mkv <Movie File>

The Dark Side of Love.mkv <Movie File>

TV Shows usually done like:

TV Shows <Folder>

Blue Bloods <Folder>

Season 01 (Bluebloods) <Folder> (Linksheet themes will need a unique folder name for TV seasons)

S01E01 Blue Bloods (epi name).mkv (some like an underscore _ in the name not a space)

Agree …

Not a good a idea to have each “movie” in individual folders (metadata aka. movieinfo is not displayed for “folders”)

I have reconnected my ext hdd to the live hub with all the pictures resized to 185x278. Each movie/pics in their own folder.

After it found my hdd, I switched to the various views using the yellow button. All the pics were there (except one-prolly a misspelling) and I found I like the bottom grid view the best (right-left scrolling). It puts a bigger pic on the middle left side.

I did notice that it had blank spots for the info of the movie, such as, date, time, director, cast, etc…

The live hub is not currently connected to the internet, as the tv is 2 floors up from my computer & router. I plan on getting a USB wireless connector sometime this week.

Will the above blank movie info be filled in by the info scraper? The above poster said the info will not be displayed because I have them in individual folders?