SmartWare does not back up files in My Passport

And the problem grinds on and on…over 1800 views

Support eventually asked me to download some Beta version they were working on but I declined because on past performance I am not convinced they have any idea of what the problem actually is or how to solve it. There are a number of variations on a theme within this thread but the bottom line is that Smartware is not doing what it is supposed to do - it is not backing up, or it is backing up erratically.

My Smartware has now decided not to back up anything since 31st October. It tells me it is backing up - but it isn’t.

When I first open up Smartware it tells me my documents folder on the hard drive has x number of files and that the back up has 43 files less.

Move to the Backup tab, however, and suddenly the hard drive and MyPassport say they both have the same, smaller, number of files.

Beginning to lose the will to live - the _ idea _ of Smartware is great. The implementation and substantive response to a clear problem is very poor.

I notice there is a thread suggesting that this is being worked on - well that is good news - late but possibly encouraging. WD - please get on with it.

I’m having the same problem (only just now discovered it - my last backup, about 6 weeks ago, worked fine).  

I am using category backup and was able to get it to finally write to the external (vs telling me successful backup w/o writing a thing) by unchecking each category, hitting appy changes, then rechecking that box and hitting apply changes.

I then did a backup now (hit the clock icon and then backup now) and it’s writing just fine - adding the new folders and the new files created since last backup as well as updates to existing files.

One odd thing is that under all categories (documents, mail, movies, etc) the software interface behaved as if there were no changes (the same blue box with the same disc space after I check/uncheck the box).  HOWEVER, the one category that did indicate source files that needed to be backed up was the “other” category.  So, I double checked the external to make sure that even 'documents" or “photos” were indeed backed up, and it appears to be successful (eg I can open a word doc that has been revised since my last backup and the current version/changes appear on the word doc when opened from the external’s backup file).  

WD really needs to fix this - the silence on the posts on this forum shows a lack of customer service that really isn’t acceptable.  

+1 

I am having trouble as well.  I disconnect my passport often for a simple reason, I have a laptop with a docking station.  The passport is connected to my docking station.  Files I create while the laptop is not in the docking station are not being backed up when the laptop is returned to the docking station.  I also verified this occurs when removing the passport and reconnecting the passport.  Files that are opened/closed/edited while the passport is connected are being backed up.  It almost appears as if WD Smartware is not aware of any file creations or changes that occured while the passport was disconnected.  I am running 2.2 in continous mode.

Seems, WD Smartware should be sync’ing the backup, looking for files changes/differences and backing up new and modified files.  This really seems busted.  Worse part is, its telling me everything is backed up and ok, when it truely isn’t.  Sounds like a President I know… ObamaBackup :slight_smile:

BTW… I’m on Vista, Firmware 1049, version 2.2.0.8

Update: Found version 1.6.2 on my passport under Apps for Windows.  uninstalled 2.2.0.8, uninstalled quick view and reinstalled 1.6.2 Smartware.  The problem is resolved.

Update: It appears 1.6.2 has an issue with large files, in particular outlook.pst files.  It will not backup my .pst file.  Seems there is no way out of this WD Smartware mess.  2.x doesnt work, and 1.6.x doesnt work.  I feel like a trapped Democrat, there’s no way  out, so I will go down with the ship!

Update: 1.6.5 did not fix the large file problem.

Update: 2.2.1 & MS .net 4.5.1 combination seems to work for me, so far.

We would like to thank you for your patience as we work to identify this issue.  We also thank you for your input which has been vital to our investigation. We believe that this issue exists for only a small percentage of our customers, and we are working hard to develop and test a new version of Smartware to resolve this issue.  Our estimated release for the new update is November 25th.

Even I have been facing this problem ever since I bought this harddisk in Sep 2013. Almost all the people I know who have been using this ’ WD My passport’ are fed up of this smartware…every time we have to manually copy the files from laptop & paste them into the designated folder in WD portable harddrive…

You have been giving assurance to people since months that you will come up with the solution for this problem…but nothing has been done till date…:mansad:

This backup software is utterly useless…!!!:angry: 

Dont you release the beta version of your software or test it internally before its actual launch ? 

Frustrated…  I like the threads that have been closed because “there is a new software release”.  Can’t move up, can’t move back, this is a mess.

Any pointers out there for a good replacement to Smartware?

I’ve been mystified by this problem for a long time.  Today, while working on it – again – I could not “safely” remove my external passport drive.  I finally “exited” something, and passport updates were offered – several of them.  Some updates were from months passed but they’d never been offered to be before.  Now I see that a solution to the not-backing-up problem was to be issued TODAY.  So maybe I have it now? 

I’m now on Version 2.2.1

WD Quick View 3.2.0.15

WD Drive Service 2.0.0.19

So I ran the backup again, and this time it took longer than one second.  I was hopeful.  But my test file is still not backed up.

I’m using webroot and it’s acting funny today too.  I’m pretty confused right now. 

So is version 2.2.1 supposed to fix this not-backing-up problem? 

So I checked again, and I found my test file with the most recent update available to restore. 

It seems that if I look at the restore file list too soon after a backup it’s not up to date? 

Or I have to remove the passport drive and plug it in again for the list to be updated?

I’m still confused.

kxxxx wrote:

So I checked again, and I found my test file with the most recent update available to restore. 

It seems that if I look at the restore file list too soon after a backup it’s not up to date? 

Or I have to remove the passport drive and plug it in again for the list to be updated?

I’m still confused.

Actually, it cycles through periodically, so you need to give it some time before checking to see if it’s updated.  However, if I remember correctly, when you plug in the drive the software will go to work, immediately, to check for files to backup.

Well, here is another vote that something is seriously wrong with WD Smartware.

I have just received a 1TB My Passport Ultra via Amazon, and taken both the offered upgrade and the ‘Pro’ registration. This ends me up with the software indicating it is WD Smartware Pro version 2.2.1.

On my first try at backing up a small partition, two things were immediately in error:

- it was impossible to select continuous backup

- in the ‘advanced’ files backup, only one of the actual two folders was possible to see or select. The other folder just didn’t appear. In the Windows explorer window, I see no difference in the folders besides their names.

Honestly, this is remarkable that this software doesn’t work, and hasn’t for months. It is not professional behavior by WD, or in their choice of some outside outfit to write this. I hope the hard disk itself is up to their standard.

Having worked with such companies directly all over the world, I can appreciate problems, but cannot understand what you may be thinking to allow this one to continue, and for such a time. What about so many persons?

Ah yes, the operating system here is Windows 8.1, 64-bit and fully up-to-date. The machine is a new Lenovo 710 laptop with i7-4700MQ processor and 8GB RAM.

Thank you for fixing this for everyone, and assuring this backup software and system is entirely reliable.

Just purchased a new 2 TB Passport and have version 2.2.1 of Smartware. Also opted for the free upgrade and Pro version.  I have daily scheduled back ups but while the 1st back-up went fine, subsequent back-ups misses new files. 

When is WD going to realize this is a big problem?

As with others in this post i’ve discovered that the passport also doesn’t update all my files. I thought this was a simple product. Buy it, plug it in, configure a few settings and forget it.

Well it looks like the only thing i’ve forgotten is the files being backed up. I choose to archive alot of files that I only use one-time so i’ll put them on the computer assuming the smartware will back them up; then a few days later I delete them from the computer (assuming the smartware made copies).

Well this worked to some degree but anymore i’ve been testing it and it simply isn’t backup up files.

Running the latest smartware on windows vista (all updated and all legit).

As wd’s slogan says “put your life on it”. I did, and I deleted and lost it thanks to you.

Hi, 

As mentioned in numerous posts, Smartware 2.2.1 (Windows) as well as earlier versions do not back up .pst (outlook files) at all after initial backup! Even if you wait 24 hours as you are supposed to for an outlook .pst file. 

I have just bought WD My Cloud 3TB

• Running WIndows VIsta including latest SPs
  • Updated firmware on the NAS WD MyCloud
  • Updated to Smartware 2.2.1
  • Updated to Smartware Pro (received a mail link)
  • Did initial category backup incl Mail. Backup OK incl .pst files
  • Set to hourly backup, waited > 24 hrs, and outlook .pst files are never backed up again.
  • Tried “Backup Now” numerous times. No backup of .pst
  • Outlook is closed so files not locked and should back up
  • It seems to back up some new files I add, but .pst files are “stuck” with their original backup version.

I’ve seen same problem in many posts, including old Smartware 1.6.x versions. But never a solution!!?

I will have to return the WD drive if no fix

Very similar here (bought 2TB - first back up fine but now just sitting there). On Continuous, with selected directories. Win 8.1. Not good this is it

Hi, we bought about 20 disks to continuous backup files of our staff (W7x64bit Enterprise). And we have an user with a folder in her desktop that is not in the backup.

Version 2.2.1 of Smartware.

Hi.

firstly facing the problem after using WD smartware for a couple of monthes:

clicking “backup now” leads to nothing except progress bar for a second and metadata xml files update.

the program thinks it’s all up-to-date and does nothing with the storage content though must copy several files and folders and update others. tried to delete metadata, disconnect/reconnect the WD storage, restart WD smartware, switch off/on the backup and switch the backup mode to another one and back - nothing helps. It’s quite irritating as it’s impossible to locate manually which files of thousands and thousands are newly created or updated since the previous backup. by the way, why isn’t there an option for backing up in mirror mode (means a way to delete from the storage all the files that are not up to date, at least manually sometimes)

i’m using smartware of version 2.2.0; custom files backup mode where the whole partition is included, scheduled once a week.

I am having the exactly the same problem. With 4TB driver and WD SmartWare 2.1, windows 8. After initial setup it has backed up all the files at that moment. But the subsequent backups never happend. I tried all the option, manually, scheduled, catagory based, file based. Nothing helped! 

Any workaround? I bought the driver for backup and it’s not working!

Update: I upgraded to SmartWare 2.3 and it seems to solve the problem and I will give a few more days to make sure it indeed solves it

I’m having this problem with Smartware 2.3 as well, on Vista 64 bit in my case. I have four backups set up. Three of them work fine. The fourth won’t work even if I change it to back up individual files! I don’t think anyone from Western Digital is listening here…

Galen wrote:
I’m having this problem with Smartware 2.3 as well, on Vista 64 bit in my case. I have four backups set up. Three of them work fine. The fourth won’t work even if I change it to back up individual files! I don’t think anyone from Western Digital is listening here…

We’re here, but there could be any number of reasons why SmartWare isn’t working on the fourth machine.  It could be that you don’t have the latest .net installed, or not all the updates you need done.  Something could be blocking SmartWare on your fourth PC.  I’m sure support would be ready, willing, and able to help you get it set up on the fourth computer. 

Now on a side note, if you’re using SmartWare that comes with the Passport, then it’s just a matter of getting it set up correctly.  If you’re using SmartWare Pro, then you only have 3 licenses for it.  So, it wouldn’t work on a fourth computer.

Below is the contact information for WD’s Support. You can contact them either by phone or email.

Contact WD
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en