New Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.34_B (9/24/12)

You don’t extract it.  If the file says wdtvliveplus_1.04.31_B, change it to wdtvliveplus_1.07.31_B which would be higher than the one you have installed.  Once loaded it will show the correct FW installed. 1.04.31_B.

This is incorrect.  I was thinking of another FW Rollback.  The post below is correct.

Sorry for the confusion.

erviv wrote:

The file named  .ver does not show a version number, so I don’t follow how to rename it with a fake higher version number. What I see is wdtvlive2.ver,  wdtvlive2.bin and wdtlive2.fff.

Clearly I either have an issue with extracting the file, or missed a step.  I am using my Mac to do the extraction.  I would appreciate some help.

You need to open the wdtvlive2.ver file using a text editor like Notepad. In the .ver file, you will see a line that starts with: VERSION=‘1.06.16_B’. Change the version number to VERSION=‘2.06.16_B’, and save it. Your WD Live will then detect the old firmware as a new firmware version.

When you install it, the installer will say that you are installing version 2.06.16, but do not worry about that. After the install, when you check the version number, it will be 1.06.16.

johnnyzero wrote:

After reading about some people having problems here, I decided to take the plunge anyway and give the new firmware a try. No spinning circle **bleep**, and the update itself seems to have installed okay.

A couple initial gripes about the new firmware:

1. Network shares are broken. I had them briefly at one point, but they went away (never to return again).

1. The new YouTube ui (LeanBack) is slow & laggy to the point of being basically unuseable.

Hopefully WD will address these issues (and others) in a timely fashion.

I have discovered if you are missing your network shares you can remove the network cable from the unit, yes while it’s on, then reinsert it and this will refresh the live’s network connection and shares will reappear. Or you can go to Settings:Network Setup and choose either Automatic or Manual and let it setup. Then shares will reappear when you return to them.

Once you have them back you may find them gone again IF you play a file from a Network Shared device and the unit has a loss of power…like a power outtage or pulled plug. If it happens just repeat the above work around :slight_smile:

So here is what COULD happen…

All network shares appear

You access a network shared device and play a video

You turn off your unit

Then you have some sort of power outtage, a storm, your wife takes the plug outta the wall so she can use the socket or what ever.

You return, power it on and try to find a network share and they’re gone again! Ahhhh! Now you know what the cause is so you just pull the cat5 out of it and put it back in and VIOLA!! the shares are all back!

Thanks  Scandy that worked like a charm.  I have to remember to  revise my edit on the .ver file, or otherwise when my USB is in the WD will believe there is an update pending.  Hopefully the update is corrected by WD soon.  

As a new contributing user and reading between the lines on the rollback … this process helped me …  and worked

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800  - I added a few notes

• Download the firmware file you wish to use from the list below to a clean / empty USB Drive root directory

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_liveplus

> zip file = wdtvliveplus_1.06.16_B_zip   (correct version for rollback)

> rename the zip file to  wdtvliveplus_1.08.16.B.zip   ( the 08 being a higher release # than the download)

• Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive such as a _ My Passport AV _ or a thumb drive.

ver file will read;  VERSION=‘2.06.16_B’ LOCATION=‘wdtvlive2.bin’ PKG_LOCATION=‘wdtvlive2.pkg’ ROOTFS2=‘’

• power on the player with all storage devices / net cables unplugged
  • Once loaded connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live HD Media Player or WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player’s USB port.

Press HOME on the Remote, and then select the Settings bar

player will search the usb device and prompt you to download new firmware

• Select the New Firmware Found icon, and then press ENTER on the remote.
  • You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade. Select OK on the firmware update prompt, and then press ENTER on the remote. This will restart the WD TV.
  • After restarting, the WD TV automatically enters the firmware upgrade mode. Please wait while the firmware is being updated.

Once the update process is completed, the WD TV will restart again.  ( power off & remove the usb device and replug your devices)

• You can verify that the new firmware has been installed by highlighting Settings on the main menu and pressing ENTER on your remote. Next highlight System Settings and again press ENTER on your remote. Finally select About and press ENTER on the remote.

GOOD TO GO …  hope this helps

Hi to everybody

I’ve a WD WINTV LIVE HD ( recently update with 1.06.34_V firmware - All seems to be good)
A Buffalo LS-WXL DUO firmware 1.62 DTCP-IP 1.60-20120615
A  BlueRay player LG BD390 firmware BD.8.08.557.B
A TV SONY model KDL-46Z4500

From TV I can view all JPG image from my NAS Buffalo ( DLNA server) but with WD WINTV LIVE HD (and also from my BlueRay player LG BD390) I can view all JPG image but only with icon resolution (160x160). 

How can I solve this problem ?

Best regards

Alloca

I still see WD still operates with a very small or non-existant beta team.  I refuse to even touch another FW update from these folks.  My device works w/the previous FW and thats where it will stay until the unit dies or I dump it for a GoogleTV based player…

WD should stick to their roots: HDs.

very small or non-existant beta team

Not even that.  Internal testing, their integration & test team should of caught the slow loading of .mkv and .mp4 issue, if nothing else.  I understand that it’s not possible to test everything via regression testing and, yes, this is where beta testing volunteers can do a better job BUT the I&T team should of caught one of the three problems (network share issues, auto-play issues, and slow playing of some media files) that I encountered.

So, either the I&T folks aren’t doing their job (bad/incomplete: regression testing, procedures, and/or staff).  Development told I&T that they didn’t have to test certain parts of the regression test because they didn’t touch that area of the code.  The release was rushed due to what-ever schedules that “had to be met” (therefore not enough time to run the normal regression test).  Or the cash bucket was empty for this period of performance… 

Of course, now we’re back to, a group of volunteer beta testers, might of alleviated some of the above problems…

Point of view from an I&T person…

What was the version previous to this?  It was perfect, I want to roll back until this is hopefully fixed.

grafico wrote:

What was the version previous to this?  It was perfect, I want to roll back until this is hopefully fixed.

It was 1.06.16B.

grafico wrote:

If it was perfect, why did you even load up the new firmware?  First rule of firmware upgrades - especially WD firmware upgrades - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.