New Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.34_B (9/24/12)

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Plus Media Player.

Please feel free to post your experiences in this thread.

1 Like

Downloading and installing now…

Just read the patch notes: still no fix for the automatic subtitles? Sigh…

edit: okay, so downloaded and installed.

First time boot: can’t find the pc’s in the network anymore.

Second boot: can find the pc’s, but cannot play video files any more (get weirdly colored frame and that’s it)

Third boot: can’t find the pc’s in the network again.

Fourth boot: can find the pc’s, still cannot play video files.

Meanwhile, during booting my tv says “video format not supported” which it never did before, and it takes forever to boot.

If it won’t work in another couple of reboots, I guess I’m gonna rollback. If that’s even possible.

Edit edit: ok it did work but it takes for ever to load a video. Like 3 minutes.

It’s a bit faster when I turn off the default subtitle thing, but still slow.

Definitely rolling back because this is just bad, the firmware didn’t add anything usefull and made the entire thing completely useless.

But first, finally, watch the tv episode I was gonna watch (20 mins ago :/)

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UPGRADE!

Loading delays for MKV and MP4 files (the only formats I’ve tried) have gone from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.  Other sources may give different results, but for video files this firmware is an…

UNQUALIFIED DISASTER!

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, as the Youtube upgrade will make that source much more usable. But no feature would outweigh this…

CRIPPLING OF VIDEO FILE PLAYBACK CAPABILITY

What was WD thinking?

1 Like

I can’t seem to find an older firmware to rollback to, can anyone help?

DeltaBlast wrote:

I can’t seem to find an older firmware to rollback to, can anyone help?

Here it is.  Pasted the old version number into the new version URL and voila!..

http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvliveplus_1.06.16_B.zip

And here’s WD’s instructions on how to roll back to a prior FW version (which I would discover includes the FW URL)…

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

2 Likes

I d/l the firmware update a few hours ago.  It installed, and the unit rebooted, Unit then went into noddy-land.  Sitting at the rotating blue image that comes up after the o/s “loading” message.  It hits the main menu and display the “video” option for a split-second that reverts back to the rotating blue image.  If I press the “home” or "“back” keys on the remote it repeats the short attempt to display the “video” option on the main menu, then continues with the rotating blue image.  Powering off and then on makes no difference, the process repeats as it did after the unit auto-rebooted.  I have two other WDTV live units but I am not going to upgrade them at this time.  Now I have to see about rolling this unit back to the previous firmware release. *** very disappointed ***

I’m having the exact same problem; my wdtv seems to be stuck at the spinning circle. Nothing helps from power cycling to reseting to factory defaults using paper clip reset button. In the current state of things, I’m not even sure how to roll back to the previous version.

Update: 9/29/2012; After using this firmware for the week, I recommend that you DO NOT UPGRADE .  Issues:

1. Displays spinning wheel (forever, see below to bypass); Can not use auto-play function.

2. playing .mkv (possibly .mp4) takes much longer 15 seconds to 1+ minute(s) to start playing and to restart during pauses.

3. Network share issues 

SPINNING WHEEL FIX (at least in my case): 9/25/2012 - UPDATE:  If you have the spinning wheel due to the upgrade and the problem is due to the “auto play”; You can put a usb stick with nothing in and it will attempt to auto play, “error out”, then  show the main menu.  Once there, go into the settings and turn off the auto play for video. Note that if you turn Auto-play back on, the spinning wheel comes back.    This is only to get past the spinning wheel problem.  I have not used the device so other problems reported may still be an issue.

Update #2.  I can confirm that I also have an issue with .mkv files taking longer to start playing (I have not tested .mp4).  While it did not take minutes to start playing; this was only a 40 minute long video file and not a 2 hour long video file.   Files similar to this used to take 2-3 seconds to start playing (where as other files like AVI started playing instantly).  Now, the .mkv files takes about 15-30 seconds to start playing.  I can’t not recall if in the change log there was some enhancement or bugfix which may of caused this issue.   So, it is possible that a 2 hour long video file may take serveral minutes to start playing.  Here’s the .mkv file information which took 15-30 seconds to start playing:

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 1.40 GiB
Duration : 43mn 42s
Overall bit rate : 4 593 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-25 07:54:47
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.8.0 (‘No Sleep / Pillow’) built on Sep 2 2012 15:37:04
Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 4 117 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.186
Stream size : 1.26 GiB (90%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 120 MiB (8%)

Update #3: Some more data (this one took 23 seconds):  

File size : 701 MiB
Duration : 22mn 8s
Overall bit rate : 4 425 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-17 13:22:21
Writing application : mkvmerge v5.8.0 (‘No Sleep / Pillow’) built on Sep 2 2012 15:37:04

Video
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Bit rate : 3 953 Kbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.179
Stream size : 626 MiB (89%)

Audio
Stream size : 60.8 MiB (9%)

And the one below took ~33-35 seconds:

File size : 1.36 GiB
Duration : 43mn 31s
Overall bit rate : 4 477 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-09-26 09:34:09

Video
Bit rate : 4 004 Kbps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.181
Stream size : 1.22 GiB (89%)

Audio
Stream size : 120 MiB (9%)

Grab and install the previous firmware according to these instructions:  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Then, and this is crucial, attempt to disable your caps lock.

1 Like

For those with the neverending spinning progress indicator, make sure that auto play is off. That fixed it for me so that I could use this firmware. 

When I went to reload the previous firmware off a USB flashdrive the WDTV Live unit booted, gave me a message about not being able to autoload, then went to the normal main menu at “video”.  When I removed the flash drive and rebooted, the hanging problem returns.  So, it looks like it is the “autoplay” issue, which is easy enough to fix now I can get to all the controls simply by having a flash drive (empty or with just the firmware files) inserted.  Once the o/s is properly up, everything works fine. So it looks like I won’t have to downgrade the firmware after all.

I kept pressing the reset button continuous & multiple times, finally it went in reset mode and when it came back up, everything was back to normal i.e. no more spinning wheel of fortune :0)

Thanks,

Zee.

Thanks! Did a rollback via http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800 .

I’m now back to my old firmware and everything works like a charm again! Yay!

1 Like

after updating to 1.06.34 …I lost my network share capabilies also in network settings it does not display the ssid or the signal strength.

I did a rollback  via 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

thanks to deltablast,silphium and this forum community

the rollback worked so far so good, the ssid and signal strength has not returned in network settings?

but are visable in system info

1 Like

How do I disable autoplay while I have the ever spinning indicator?

sdavmor wrote:

I d/l the firmware update a few hours ago.  It installed, and the unit rebooted, Unit then went into noddy-land.  Sitting at the rotating blue image that comes up after the o/s “loading” message.  It hits the main menu and display the “video” option for a split-second that reverts back to the rotating blue image.  If I press the “home” or "“back” keys on the remote it repeats the short attempt to display the “video” option on the main menu, then continues with the rotating blue image.  Powering off and then on makes no difference, the process repeats as it did after the unit auto-rebooted.  I have two other WDTV live units but I am not going to upgrade them at this time.  Now I have to see about rolling this unit back to the previous firmware release. *** very disappointed ***

I had the same problem.

I found that if your machine has AutoPlay ON, this happens right after upgrade.  You need to reset via the hole which clears it (if you intend to keep this version of the firmware.

Rick

kilimar wrote:

DO NOT UPGRADE

DITTO – after the reboot:

1) Displays the logo

2) Flashes something with “Loading”

1. Displays spinning wheel

and goes no further.  . . .  (so on)

The Auto Play - you have to make sure it is OFF before upgrade.  I downgraded, factory reset, and redid the upgrade and it works (kind of)   Even after upgrade, once you turn on Auto Play, the Blue Circle of Eternity returns.

I am rolling back…

Apart from the AutoPlay issue already discussed…  (option of death - you get the spinning Blue Circle of Eternity)

The Option-Subtitle menu seem to be fixed.  Now when I press Option-Subtitle, the language ID (1. English…) now appears just below the Option Choice (instead of occasionally on the far left and occasionally gone off screen.)    But along with the AutoPlay issue, there is another significant bug…

As I play different ISO-DVD, it got slower and slower to start.  My first started within seconds, then the wait grew to 30 seconds (with nothing but a blank screen), then it got to multiple MINUTES before the DVD starts.  (This was not from fresh boot, I played NetFlix in-between testing various DVD’s).

Overall, if the two deadly bugs are fixed (autoplay, growing delays), this firmware is not bad - I like it over the 1.04.31B which I have been sticking with.  BUT, without the two deadly bugs fixed, this firmware is not useable.

Updated to latest firmware and it has killed my system. Just downloaded 1.06.34_B and now my media player freezes on netflix, freezes on youtube, and revolts when I try to play .VOBs. it plays .AVIs and music files. I’ve tried resetting to factory defaults and it doesn’t roll back the firmware. I’d like to know how to fix this. It seems to be a common problem. Please address this quickly.

II wish I could compliment you on the upgrade, however, it doesent work.

I finally got the upgrade installed and nothing works well. I tried to reinstall the older software and it will not let it happen.

Just my observationsb but several companies are upgrading their software to allow 4G etc…, it  appears t me that your losing site of us who are using a slower connection (1.2) U=tube will come up but doesnt work. Evrything is very slow and takes forever and  is just slow. A picture takes about 5 to 10 seconds to display.

Help