New Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.34_B (9/24/12)

Same thing just happend to me on my WD Live, if you hit back it flashes the main menu for quick second then goes back to spinging circle again. How can we fix this if can’t get into menus to do anything does this mean box is bricked?

My WD Live Plus box seems to be working fine other MKV files take like 30 seconds to start playing now.

Update:

I hit the rest button on the left side next to usb port  (had to press it a few times for it to reset)  and seems to be working now, but of course everything set to default now. So give that a try

I reset mine, now I get a very fuzzy, gray picture with horizontal and diagonal lines.  Basically, now it is completely unusable after reset.  Now what???

My WD media player downloaded the latest firmware update tonight (20120925) and applied it.  Now the media player won’t work.  The player was NOT turned off during download or update.  In fact, it is still trying to display the main menu screen after the re-boot initiated by the Media Player.  How do I get my media player to work now??

I have the same problem

Mine too I tried to reset it, but its still spinning circle. Help

Yes me too, spinng circle, I dont think it can be fixed either - cant even get into the first menu. hosed!

Yeah, against my better judgement I updated the firmware.  Now I get the spinning circle of death.  **bleep**?

If it’s been removed why is it still available for download??  I’m confused.  I clicked the link and it’s downloading.  I’ts stll the same version number so I don’t think it’s fixed.  What’s the deal?

After updating my WD Live Media Player  firmware to 1.06.34_v the wireless settings were reset and now it won’t reconnect.

It detects the wireless network and I’m able to enter the password. But it won’t automatically detect the settings and rejects them when I manually enter them.

I’ve tried resetting to factory settings and resetting it. I’m using a dongle and have never had a problem before this. I’m also using a wireless netgear router. 

Any help?

Glad your rollback worked,  I am attempting to do the same.  I downloaded 16_B and extracted the files to my USB drive.   I used drive 0, did a power on reset, went to settings and the player did not recognize the firmware on the USB.   Any suggestions, or something I may have missed?

I am seeing the same issue.  First I thought it might be a large flash drive (32Gb).  So, I tried a 4Gb, formatted using fat32.  The USB indicator is coming on the front of the device and I can browse to the device in the File Manager.  However, I am not seeing the “New Fireware Found” in the settings menu.  I even tried turning the device off and turning it on with the USB stick attached, hoping that it might need to be present at boot time to activate the menu option.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Isq679sf,

I found the problem of why you can’t revert back.  If you did the same as me, you downloaded a zipfile named wdtvliveplus_1.06.16_B.zip. This is not the file you want to use.  I guess the device sees this as an older version and will not upgrade.

Get the zipfile from this page(page lists instructions on how to rollback)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/

You will end up downloading a file named: Rollback_wdtvliveplus_release_1.06.16_B.zip

This will enable the “New Firmware Found” on the settings menu.

This page has some pretty good instructions on how to rollback…

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/p/208,333/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0ODU4ODg5NC9zaWQvMUtBb204N2w%3D

And be sure that you unzip the three files to the ROOT DIRECTORY of your USB device.

Good luck

They appear to have pulled back the defective firmware. Now the current firmware available is 1.06.16.

This was the right thing to do, so good job, WD, and keep at it.

Another thing worth mentioning, is suddenly after the firmware upgrade I have a permission error on Snow Leopard.

My WDTV is connected to a wireless router and an external USB drive. Which allows the USB drive to be visible in Finder, so that I can drag files to it.

After the firmware update, I can no longer drag files and can not create new folders on that USB drive attached to the WDTV. Under permissions when I hit Get Info, it says “You have custom access.” This only happened right when I did the most recent firmware upgrade.

However, when the USB drive is connected directly to the computer, it has no permission problem. Only when you try to access it while it’s connected to the WDTV and available on the network are there problems. Used to work just fine.

You can install any previous FW version but you have to rename the file with a higher number version that you currently have installed.  Then it will show new FW found.  Once installed it will show the actual FW version that you installed.  It’s just a way of tricking the unit into thinking it’s installing a new FW.

Okay, I just want to report my case:

1. Like everyone elses, my player detected the new firmware a couple of days ago and went though update routine.

2. I didn’t have any issues with booting up, but I have noticed that Internet Options menu has shrunk, so I became suspisious and went through rollback routine (back to 1.06.16_B).

3. After reboot I was greeted with message “New firmware found” - displaying the version number 2.06.16_B.

Now, I have not found ANYTHING about this version on WD sites. Keeping my 1.06.16_B until I find any confirmation that 2.06.16_B is legit.

drw91 wrote:> Now, I have not found ANYTHING about this version on WD sites. Keeping my 1.06.16_B until I find any confirmation that 2.06.16_B is legit.

Yes 2.06.16_B is legit.

When you are downgrading the firmware to a previous version, it is necessary to trick the WD updater into thinking that it is updating to a newer version. One of the 3 files in the firmware update (.ver) has to have the version number changed to a higher version. 

When the firmware installs, it will tell you that it has found version 2.06.16_B, however after it installs, you will find that it is really 1.06.16_B.

I downgraded to 1.06.16_B yesterday and videos are loading quickly again. It’s sad because I really liked the new YouTube app that comes with 1.06.34_B. Anyone knows if WD is planning to provide a fixed firmware anytime soon?

The file named  .ver does not show a version number, so I don’t follow how to rename it with a fake higher version number. What I see is wdtvlive2.ver,  wdtvlive2.bin and wdtlive2.fff.

Clearly I either have an issue with extracting the file, or missed a step.  I am using my Mac to do the extraction.  I would appreciate some help.