New Release - Firmware Version 3.01.19 for WD TV Live Hub (12/20/11)

I have to restart the player to play each video after the update

any solutions.  worked fine before

Hi Vistawall

do you mean that this update was included in the new firmware? check this topic here! members says that you need internet connection, I’m using the Mojo theme by the way and i didn’t update to the latest firmware. thanks

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Moviesheets-to-show-when-not-connected-to-Internet/td-p/307330

That thread you posted shows 2.07… 3.01 is 3 builds later.

Did some iso making last night and today, guess what… It works like a charm. Now I’m even so enthousiastic that I use an XML editor to edit the movie info to meet my needs.

for the people who are saying that themes and local backdrops work now wihout internet connection, can you list please what theme/version are you using with this new firmware?

I tried Mojo 1.12.01 (MS) and thumbgen 1.2.8.0 and it’s not displaying even the cover. I’m using a usb stick by the way to see if it works.

any help will be appreciated so I don’t spend the day figuring out something that is not suppose to work at first!

also all my movies are mkv containers, not ISO

For people who have been telling that they cannot get local backdrops to work correctly they must know the following:

1. You *MUST* update to Firmware Version 3.01.19 

2. Set Factory Defaults and reboot the WDTV Live HUB

3. You *MUST* use Default MOCHI theme first so that you can rule out incompatiblities of theme coding if any

4. You *MUST* have proper XML file (Metadata) associated with your media files

5. You *MUST* fetch the local backdrops using the Metadata fetcher for the first time as it creates the .localbackdrop directory for each movie or media files

Once the above steps have been done, You do not need to fetch the local backdrop files again. The local backdrop files that the builtin metadata scrapper puts in the .localbackdrops folder for each moive will display with or without Internet connection (ONLY WITH Firmware Version 3.01.19 )

If you manually put the files in the .localbackdrops directory it will not display them until you fetch them once using the built-in metadata scraper again (ONLY with Firmware Version 3.01.19 ) for the WDTV Live HUB

Hope this helps

I did all of the steps but I didn’t do metadata fetcher. what is that and how to do it?

also I managed to see 1 cover by changing some things manually in the xml, but it looks ugly with no transparency! is it suppose to be like that?

thx

New question rises here. How do I access the movies that are stored on my windows computer. With the older firmware I could easily access these movies and watch them streaming from my windows vista PC to te WD. Now when I select a windows share all it doe is show the orange rotating arrow. When I select media share it does connect to my pc and shows files there, but not the ones I have shared on my  computers harddisk.

I tried deleting the logins for my PC (it’s anonymous btw) but that didn’t help either. Network settings on my PC are private network, sharing is on, and the workgroupnames match.

To Vistawall

still can’t play any of the movies until I power cycle the system.  Than I can play one movie than have to pwr cycle again to play another one.  Tried the reset to factory defaults and than restart the unite.  I can see all the thumbnails for the movies. I don’t no what a scrapper is.  Some of the thumbs I added to the same folder with the movie some I have used the WD search feature to populate the metadata for a movie. 

Are you suggesting we have to rebuild re-search for all the metadata in the library?

Audio multi-channel in for AAC files.  (When I can get one to play) have the same issue here with a Denon 4311 via HDMI

AKA the AAC encoded files play to the Denon as 7.1 ch multichannel in.  Though only the 2 front speakers work.  Problem is it prevents using any of the Prologic or DTS Neo modes for psuedo surround sound.  Odd

Hello majcom

I do not know what types of file are your movie files, I have attempted, DVD ISO, MKV, MP4, FLV (The most common containers) and they all work fine with this firmware release 3.01.19, I have not experienced any freeze that you will have to reboot the box for every single play of a movie.

There must be something else going on here, Can you please let us know what type of Media file you are attempting to play and where are you accessing the files from? (NAS share or Media Server or USB).

BTW, Scraper is a term used to fetch metadata from various sources like TMDB or IMDB. WDTV Series have these built-in  firmware functions wherein metadata information like movie descriptions, year, any associated poster and backdrops are fetched from sources like TMDB or IMDB (These are websites). Users can manually fetch content information by using “GET CONTENT INFO” option while the movie plays or specify in the menu to automatically scrape (Fetch) these information and save them along with the movie files (hence the term Scraper) 

OK now with that lecture complete :smiley: let me see if I can resolve your issue(s) as you have many :dizzy_face:

1. Do a factory reset and setup your user based preferences again.

2. Disable any services that you do not use (Like ITUNES server, DLNA server, or NAS server etc;)

3. Clear the Media library and TURN it OFF if you do not want the content aggregation (I personally do not use Media Library)

4. If you added your own thumbs (folder.jpg and moviename.jpg) some of them will show up only when Media Library is turned off, Most cases, If the Media Library is turned ON you will have to use “Get content info” option to populate the artwork (Thumbnails) and or automatically populate the metadata information for your movies using the built in metadata scrapers. (BTW, This has nothing to do with the problem of your movie playing once and freezing the unit)

As far as getting Multi-channel for AAC files, you need to revisit your AUDIO settings and make sure that you have enabled that feature for your Audio Receiver. I personally do not use HDMI for Audio as my receiver is too old, I use OPTICAL output to my Audio receiver and all of my media files which have 5.1 channel play perfectly including DTS. (There is a setting in the menu for manually telling what your audio receiver is capable of, visit that menu option and change the settings as needed)

Before my reply becomes a scary novel and becomes NY times best seller let me stop here and say

" GOOD LUCK"

Cheers! :smiley:

1 Like

“Scraper.”

Scrapper would tend to indicate the opposite.  :stuck_out_tongue:

Vistawall can you tell us what theme/version are u using + what thumbgen version also?

thx, still not working for me through thumbgen!

how to use the built-in metadata scrapper? is it in the setup menu of the device? more clarification

:laughing: Corrected it! thanks Tony!

I have my own customized theme for myself that only I can use and not for public use as it is horrible :smileyvery-happy:  But when I test firmware I always use default Mochi theme and my observations are based on Default Mochi theme.

I do not use Thumbgen nor use any themes that use MovieSheet type coding for themes, If you have questions you can ask it in the THEMES section, I am sure people over there are more knowledgeable than me in coding XML files than me.

As far as using the Built-in Metadata Scraper  You need to read the user manual and see “Meta-Source Manager” section

WDTV Live HUB manual is not yet updated ever since WD changed firmware to include Meta-source Manager menus, but you can use WDTV Live SMP manual for reference

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705062.pdf

See page 190

:wink:

1 Like

thx Vistawall for explaining your method! actually in the old firmware 2.07 I tried once to get content info and the local backdrops were  working without the device connected to the internet, I was using the mochi theme i guess and some members didn’t know how it’s working for me when it’s not suppose to on old firmware.

The reason i’m trying to use different  method now is because getting content using the device takes time compare to thumbgen where you can modify your xml easily, etc, + I’m using a theme that requires to be done on thumbgen.

Will be really nice if someone can post a tutorial how to do it using thumbgen with themes (display backdrops with no internet connection) and I mean by tutorial " tutorial" well explained and not just few lines that confuse members! or maybe a youtube video! it’s just an idea, because some members say it works with moviesheet but mine is not working!

As I have told before, If you want WDTV Live HUB or WDTV Live SMP media player to display locally stored Backdrops without using Internet connection you will have to use Firmware Version 3.01.19 for WD TV Live Hub and the built-in Meta-source manager to fetch the needed files for local backdrops (ONCE) (Which is stored alongside on the movie directory with a . (Hidden directory)

As it stands now, there is no way to get the local backdrops working if the metadata content is fetched by other sources…or manually put in the directory like a moviesheet generated by thumbgen for example or user provided backdrop files would be second example.

I think the Firmware updates a “Master Database” file somewhere in the hidden partition of the built-in 1TB HDD  or a flash location in WDTV Live SMP wherein it keeps track (Master index of some sort perhaps?) of all your movie files and their directory structure. So the local saved backdrops present in the . (Hidden directory) gets displayed with or without internet connection (Only from FW version 3.01.19)

As for as your problem goes, I think your local backdrops (Movie Backdrops) will work if you force WDTV Live HUB to just parse the XML files (Simply navigate to the Folder that has the movie file and XML file in gallery mode and use default Mochi theme) and as long as the metadata XML file for the movie has the URL to get the local backdrops from TMDB or IMDB it will automatically fetch those JPG’s mentioned in the XML file for the movie and place them in the .localbackdops directory (This action happens only once) and for future navigation to that movie folder WDTV Live HUB will fetch the files from the .localbackdrops rather than fetching it from TMDB or IMDB etc; saving network bandwidth and faster cycling thru’ movie backdrops

Makes any sense?  (It does for me :laughing:) 

Cheers!

Vistawall: 

as long as you dont use HDMi for audio you cant give ANY advises in regards to audio issues.

The idea of a user forum is that people (users) can give any advice on any relevant subject in order to help other users. Vistawall simply provided information about his configuration that worked for him. Which is the exact same setup I use: HDMI to video display and optical to receiver for audio. Works for me as it does for Vistawall and I’m sure many others.

I understand that there are many setups that happen (whether through design or happenstance I’m not too sure) to work, and there are an unfortunate number of other setups that don’t work as they should and WD has been extremely remiss in not fixing things that don’t work without breaking previously working things. Hopefully WD will get it right eventually, before the product is discontinued or we all die of dispair.

Until then, we should all try to be civil to each other and thankful for the wide-ranging help and ideas provided.

“Not Richard”

Geesh   :neutral_face: beatmaster 

I do not work for WD , Please take this problem to WD Tech Support, Or post the problem here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/idb-p/Issues_LiveHub

I was just posting my experiences! Sorry that I could not help you! 

:confounded:

i dont work for WD either, but i sell CE.

i just was saying that you gave advise without knowing if you have the same setup

as the people that complain about the issue.

and as far as reporting goes, there is a link in my signature that states the issue with PCM since april 2011,

and i posted the issue in the issue reporting system as well.

again, you didnt check the facts.