New Release - Firmware Version 3.01.19 for WD TV Live Hub (12/20/11)

Vistawall, you have thoroughly answered a question I was about to post on why I was mysteriously getting local backdrops, so big thanks.

My Scenario:

I am using Mojo 1.12.01 on FW 3.01.19. I have used hubgen to create XMLs and JPEGs for all my movies and TV shows. After following a few threads on the site I had considered trying to move my backdrop JPEGs local, but had not gotten around to testing it out.

After upgrading to the newest FW, I noticed some new directories in my movie folders (.moviename.backdrop) with JPEGs inside each one. I was unclear what was creating these, but figured that I was getting local backdrops somehow. After a bit of fiddling around I readlized that the .moviename.backdrop are automaticaly made once you highlight a movie, so assummed that the HUB was reading the XML file, grabbing the backdrop and building the directory on the fly. Highlight the next movie in the directory and the same thing happens. Brilliant and psyched. Wasn’t sure why this was happening but was very happy about it. Just needed to go through my movies and tv show directories and highlight each one. Great, no need to change my theme (love mojo), no need to re-gen any XML etc, and no real effort at all.

I pulled my Internet connection and was able to get some of them working, others did not. Tried the new “rescan” feature of the directories but that did not pick up the new local files either. A full reboot of the system though, and all backdrops working fine without and Internet connection.

Happily confused here. Wasn’t expecting this at all. had read a lot of people trying to get local backdrops to work, and at least on my end they just turned themselves on and set themselves up. Hard to ask for more than that. To be honest, not sure it’s any faster for me and I am always connected to the net, but you gotta love when stuff just works.

So far pleasantly pleased with 3.01.19. With an effective media library that supports network drives, the ability to rescan network drives without rebooting when I add new movies, and now the auto-scrape of my XMLs for local backdrops, this has been by far the best FW update so far IMHO

Good luck to all

-P

Expected the correction of the 24.000 fps? All other players know it already today. (The 23.973 fps work.)

Please let it be repaired!

never heard about hubgen, where do i get it? i’m using thumbgen now is it the same?

also for Pearl:

u said mojo is working now on the new firmware but  what about the transparancy? without it the thumbnails will not show good.

John_Daristas

You can find the thread on WDTVHubGen as a sticky on the top of the main page of the “Hub General Discussions” page written by NoSlack913.

It would appear similar to thumbgen but for me it was easier to use so thats what I started with and have kept using it. Thumbgen certainly has tons more options and someone else here can do a much better job than I explaining why you would use one over the other. Again, I just stuck with what I was first using so no judgement call from me on either app from me.

I do not fully understand the transparency png/jpeg issue so am a bad person to ask on this one as well. I have read a bunch of threads on this board, didn’t really have an issue with how my hub is working with my current setup, so haven’t really spent too much time to understand what the issue is. There is a lot of talk about transparency on this board though so it is onvioulsy important to a lot of folks. I feel like I see the movie thumbnails just fine so clearly I do not really understand what the issue is at all (but would love someone to explain it to me in a simple way as perhaps I am missing out on something great?)

I have posted this picture before. It is of a directory of Alfred Hitchcock movies, with “Dial M for Murder” selected. As above, it is with Mojo 1.12.01 on FW 3.01.19. I have three files for this movie in the main directory; Dial M For Murder (1954).ISO, Dial M For Murder (1954).JPG & Dial M For Murder (1954).XML. The backdrops are local in a sub-directory called “.Dial M For Murder (1954).backdrop”. If I understand all correctly the HUBs FW created the backdrop directory as I noted above. Basicaly this is all I know. I am sure others have much more complex setups etc, but this works fine for me.

scroll down to the mojo theme and you can see the transparancy.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Themes/Moviesheet-Theme-List/td-p/214008

doesn’t show that you have transparancy in yours at all, usually the transparancy is replaced with filled picture when the firmware doesn’t support it and it looks really ugly

Yup I have seen this and it does look incredibly slick. Issue for me though is if I cannot use it on WF 3.xx I lose out on too many great new features that the facelift is not worth it to me. The new media library alone is worth the FW upgrade to me. Add the new apps, the ability to rescan network drives without reboot and the auto-building of the local backdrop directories and I am sold on 3.01.19

So am I correct in my understanding that this has to be on a 2.x FW version? If so, I’ll pass. Gotta have some of the new features.

-P

The transparency is part of the movie sheet. Its just another part of the build.

If he is not using movie sheets you won’t see it.

wdtvhub, can you explain what the term “movie sheet” means. I am clearly confused and obviously want to get the most out of my HUB. What feature is it adding that I do not already have with my backdrops and XML files?

Thanks in advance

-P

Well. A movie sheet is designed to work with a certain theme. The theme designer designs the screens a certain way, the movie sheets are basically a template. So when you utilise the Movie sheet with Thumbgen this puts the pictures and info in the correct places.

So with the Theme and Theme movie sheets combined is what makes it look great. If you imagine the Movie sheet is a blank canvas with blocks for text, Transparency over an empty picture frame, then you get the idea.

To get all this goodness you need to go way back in time firmware wise. I also agree that the latest workings of the latest firmware are on par with some of these great looks. Unfortunately WD have tied the hands of the themers and its such a shame.

Excellent, thanks for the info. It would appear I am stuck with what I have (which is fine in my book!) if i wish to continue with the FW upgrades. And as above, Ill take the new features over a facelift. I have all my music and movies on remote drives and my hub is pretty empty. The new “my media library” use of network drives is just to much of an upgrade to ignore.

Thanks again

-P

Yesterday I shut down because we heard a strange noise. I thought it might be the fan in my WD. That was not the case, but to my surprise when I started to fondle around with my WD and PC
there were my shared volumes on my PC. Great news for me, I hope some people benefit from this experience.

Ever since the firmware update, every time I turn the WD Live TV Hub on, it reverts from Component 1080i to Composite PAL. My TV doesn’t display that so I have to fumble with the menus trying to decipher the menu system with a rolling b&w screen.

Help!

Try resetting your hub by pressing the reset button on the bottom of hub with a paper clip. Hold the paper clip down for a few second until you see changes on the screen. This should help. :slight_smile:

Video artwork still is missing
 Even when i add a new movie and get content info, the artwork is missing.

Is there any way to solve this problem??? I have this problem since 2 updates ago, it’s really annoying! :angry:

So the SMP get’s a FW Update Today  (1.10.2012)

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-06-04-for-WD-TV-Live-Streaming/td-p/329073

Resolved movie thumbnail degraded photo quality issue.       + other fixes & additions

I Might be ‘jumping the gun’ 
 but what’s the ETA for Firmware Update for the Live Hub ?

Butcho69 wrote:

Ever since the firmware update, every time I turn the WD Live TV Hub on, it reverts from Component 1080i to Composite PAL. My TV doesn’t display that so I have to fumble with the menus trying to decipher the menu system with a rolling b&w screen.

Help!

Well every time I turn off the HUB and remove the adapter from the power plug for less than 24 hours, it just reverts back from 1080P to 720P, this is really **bleep**. I need to change the settings every time I turn it on.

The complete firmware update info for the ‘normal’ WDTV Live (2011 edition) is:

Release 1.06.04 (1/10/2012)

• Supports BBC iPlayer content streaming service ( UK only ).
  • Supports Netflix movie streaming service in the UK and Ireland.
  • Resolved several language translation issues.
  • Resolved issue AAC and MP3 2CH audio outputs 7CH via HDMI pass-through to AV receiver.
  • Resolved movie thumbnail degraded photo quality issue.

• General info:
  • Note: BBC radio mute function does not un-mute.

source: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

Let’s wait and see when they will release this for the Live Hub
 It can’t take long i think.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_livehub

This is a vastly superior release
thanks to the folks ar WD.  I have been on 2.03.24 for a long long time. Each time I upgraded, I had problems because of the numerous bugs and I had to downgrade back to 2.03.24. The slow remote response was a complete deal breaker for me.

Finally in 3.01.19 the sluggish response that all the previous “upgrades” had is fixed
this is just great !!! I have been playing with the new firmware for a couple of hours now and its rather delightful !! For folks who may have been sitting on the fence and skipped some upgrade cycles due to fear of buggy/unresponsive software, this is the one to go for !

Thanks again and god bless.

Shekhar.

I have noticed that the auto get content info only works for my Internal 1TB hard drive  & not for any of my external USB drives. Any ideas on this one, Anyone else have this issue?

Also mine is doing the whole folder thumbnail messup, which is a pain.

Every time I copy something (vídeo, photo or other
) from my wired PC to WDTV Hub, I must recompile the media library and then the copied things appears in WD. Is this correct? There is another way to do this?

Thanks