New Release - Firmware Version 2.10.12-129 for My Book Live (3/14/12)

Well I unplugged my drive from the network and power. I let it sit for longer than 5 minutes. Plug it in, I can access the drive and what not however there is no light on the front…does that matter? I thought there was a light?

I’ve tried to manually update my firmware to 02.10.12.-129 but it still gets stuck at the 10%.

What is this SSH I’m reading people are enabling? I don’t see it in my setup?

I also just did a “DIagnostic Test”, short…and everything looked to be working great got all the way up to like 90% and sat there for a little while and then came back with this error code…

31319  - Unknown error. Please ensure you are not facing network connectivity issues and try again.

Ideas or recommendations?

To access SSH you must enable it at //192.168.*.*/UI/ssh, then use a client such as Putty to log into it. Do you still have access to any other GUI elements even after you power off/on it still shows 10%? Some people say if you click the Red update icon when it’s at 10%, you can re-update again and it sometimes fixes it. For me, it corrupted the firmware even worse.

The SSH is way above my head…LOL. I guess I’ll just leave that alone. 

Anyways my after getting it started back up it say “BAD” as the status. 

Ideas?

Hey

Ok, so my UI is blank now. SSH is dsiabled.

Anyway to run a firmware update?

Thanks

Samy

I agree with most of these posts, I think this update as greatly decreased its performance speed especially with the dashboard and the wd2go app for iPhone. It takes me like 10 minutes to access the dashboard. And right now it says it can’t be accessed at all. I hope WD has a new update coming out to repair these issues because here I thought this would be a great device with being able to access it from anywhere. But there I go thinking again.

Myron wrote:

I suspect WDTony is as frustrated as everyone experiencing issues.

Personally, I accept the idea to release an intrim update to try address the Dashboard UI bricking issuefirst before releasing an update to address all the other issues.

… 

I agree with putting out a quick fix first, except it didn’t work, did it?  It was just as poorly done as the previous upgrade.  Not to mention, the last time I was here was in the Nov-Dec timeframe, so 3-4 months is not exactly quick, is it?  Especially when they’re only fixing a few things.  This is not rocket science.

I’m still at 01.04.06  , waiting for a decent upgrade because I don’t have time for all these hassles if things go wrong.

Have to say, I’ve said it before, but again I’m shocked that a first-rate company like WD has such poor support.  They don’t seem to know how lucky they are to have someone like Myron to do their job for them.

Not to dump on WDTony, he’s just a cog in the wheel, no doubt doing what he can, I blame the company policy makers for this sad state.

I’m totally serious. After installing our MyBook Live, I ran a firmware update, the progress meter read 10%. It was like that the next day. Eventually, I had to shut my computer down. Now, when accessed from any of the computers on the network, the drive still reads 10% progress. It seems to work fine, so I guess it’s not big deal. But we can’t access the dashboard should we need it, and it’s kind of baffling.

Last week I bought a new iMac 21.5" which I upgraded to the latest version of OS X Lion.  My first foray into the world of Apple from my old PC running Windows XP.

Yesterday I bought a WD My Book Live 3Tb so that I could have one storage drive for media and backups which I can stream to all devices (iPhone, iPad & AppleTV).  Very excited about having such a great, easy to use system, I followed the instructions for setup.

I loaded the setup disc and then started going through the settings in the setup menu.  When I got to the bit about remote access, it wouldn’t allow me to tick the box as it couldn’t find a network connection.  WTH?  I had the old PC running too and was definitely connected there as well as receiving email and able to access other webpages on Safari on the Mac.  Unable to figure that out, I thought I’d sort that out later as iPad & iPhone access could wait (I already purchased the WD2go Pro).

So I moved on until I got to the update firmware section.  Thinking that this was would probably fix my remote access issue, I went on to read the release notes.  Nothing about that.  :crying_cat_face:    But wanting to have the most up to date firmware for my new purchase, went ahead with the automatic update in the UI.  

It showed that the update competed successfully, but then everything slowed down to a snail pace. After unsuccesfully trying to physically reset the unit, I have resorted to a Full Factory Reset (the long version) which I started at 8pm last night - by 6:30am, it was only at 56%.  

Now I’m no ■■■■■ when it comes to technology - I’ve worked in audio visual installation for years.  But I have no computer programming skills - certainly not on Mac which is now what I’m working on (old PC now off the network).  So some of these remedies of going into scripts (or whatever the IT guys here call them) and messing with code is way beyond my skill level.  

I’m hoping that this roll back to factory settings which hopefully will be complete by the time I get home will now allow me to actually set up this network drive properly so that I can start copying files across and using it.  

In the meantime, can anyone perhaps translate the remedy for the UI into a dummy’s guide for non-IT people?

The I think solution is in this dsicussion thread or at least on this board.  You need to enable SSH and then via. a secure Telnet session to the MyBook Live edit the /etc/hosts file to put in the name of your MyBook Live on the end of the first line.

Second option is to take the MyBook Live back the retailer and swap or get your money back and don’t upgrade the firmware until your see cheers of joy on this forum tha a firmware file has been released that actually works absolutly well.

Hi, Like so many folks I have got  performance issues with the UI after updating to .129 firmware. I have tried to rollback the firmware with the .deb file using ssh and putty, but it will not let me do it because my present firmware is a later version.

Could someone explain how this can be achieved please?

Ken

after updating to this firmware, the sleep/standby issue i had before look to be even worse now. The drive wakes up all the time for no apparent reason. i also have mediacrawler and miocralwer, itunes and twonky disbaled…

WD is not helping improve my already bad view of their products. 

Mar 29 11:15:24 nas1 logger: exit standby after 61
Mar 29 11:23:26 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 11:39:13 nas1 logger: exit standby after 947
Mar 29 11:44:15 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 12:09:13 nas1 logger: exit standby after 1498
Mar 29 12:14:15 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 12:34:20 nas1 logger: exit standby after 1204
Mar 29 12:55:55 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 12:56:56 nas1 logger: exit standby after 61
Mar 29 13:19:17 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 13:20:18 nas1 logger: exit standby after 61
Mar 29 13:25:20 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 13:27:50 nas1 logger: exit standby after 150
Mar 29 13:32:51 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 13:38:23 nas1 logger: exit standby after 332
Mar 29 13:43:24 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 14:03:13 nas1 logger: exit standby after 1189
Mar 29 14:08:15 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 15:19:05 nas1 logger: exit standby after 4250
Mar 29 15:26:20 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 15:27:21 nas1 logger: exit standby after 61
Mar 29 15:32:23 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 15:39:08 nas1 logger: exit standby after 405
Mar 29 15:44:09 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 16:09:13 nas1 logger: exit standby after 1504
Mar 29 16:14:15 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 16:16:59 nas1 logger: exit standby after 164
Mar 29 16:28:02 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 16:33:54 nas1 logger: exit standby after 352
Mar 29 16:38:56 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 16:39:56 nas1 logger: exit standby after 60
Mar 29 16:44:58 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 17:33:23 nas1 logger: exit standby after 2905
Mar 29 17:38:25 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 17:40:53 nas1 logger: exit standby after 148
Mar 29 17:45:55 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 18:29:28 nas1 logger: exit standby after 2613
Mar 29 18:34:30 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 19:26:28 nas1 logger: exit standby after 3118
Mar 29 19:31:29 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 19:43:48 nas1 logger: exit standby after 739
Mar 29 20:07:56 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 20:08:57 nas1 logger: exit standby after 61
Mar 29 20:13:59 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 20:15:40 nas1 logger: exit standby after 101
Mar 29 20:36:47 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 20:39:14 nas1 logger: exit standby after 147
Mar 29 23:44:40 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 23:45:41 nas1 logger: exit standby after 61
Mar 29 23:50:43 nas1 logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 23:57:40 nas1 logger: exit standby after 417

I haven’t checked in here on the forums for a few months, but got an email someone had responded to one of my posts so took a look. Hey look, a new firmware. Yet nothing changes… as usual, a lengthy thread follows full of complaints about frozen upgrades, things worse than before, things that ought to have been upgraded not, and so on.

WD: when customers like me are SCARED to update their devices, it’s time to take a look at your processes and do something about it.

So when’s that going to happen that a successful firmware update is released? I hope soon!

I dont want to be funny, but wouldnt you actually test these flipping updates yourselves on an actual box, I suspect you would have got the problems we all have. What is at fault here is it seems that you have no procedures in place, perhaps this should be implemented too.

And yes, I am stuck at 10%, I am NOT a linux guru, and now seem to have a brick, oh why did I believe that you would actually release an update that worked through the UI, now that just seems ridiculous, I mean, who would possibly do that for an end user “black box” which is what this is.

By the way, along with possibly hiring some of the contributors on here to help you program this box, they seem to know what they are doing, possibly hire some management, yes, I know you dont like managers, but sometimes they may actually write a procedure to stop idiots issuing a install that hasnt been tested properly before it goes in the field!

Careful about doing this.  Scripts that update settings files for the later firmware might screw-up settings files when downgrading.

Ken_Long wrote:

Hi, Like so many folks I have got  performance issues with the UI after updating to .129 firmware. I have tried to rollback the firmware with the .deb file using ssh and putty, but it will not let me do it because my present firmware is a later version.

Could someone explain how this can be achieved please?

Ken

Yet with the latest firmware the sleep function works fine.  As shown on my log file . . .

Mar 29 12:27:15 NAS logger: Enter standby
Mar 29 20:59:42 NAS logger: exit standby after 30747

. . . and . . .

Mar 30 10:59:03 NAS logger: Enter standby
Mar 30 18:47:44 NAS logger: exit standby after 28121

Could it be something on your network?

alirz1 wrote:

after updating to this firmware, the sleep/standby issue i had before look to be even worse now. The drive wakes up all the time for no apparent reason. i also have mediacrawler and miocralwer, itunes and twonky disbaled…

WD is not helping improve my already bad view of their products. 

Greetings All:

I wish to share my experience with attempting the firmware update to 2.10.12-129 on a MyBookLive 2 TB NAS starting on Saturday, March 17th …

Background:

I use the MyBookLive 2 TB NAS as a central repository for photos, videos and backups from my main linux (Fedora 16) box.

I too went through the check for updates and accepting the online upgrade to the newer version against what I had installed (2.10.09-124, dated 2011.11.13).  I left the update running overnight only to find the update at 10% the next morning.  To cut to the chase, closing the web browser window and restarting it, did not provide any positive results.  The update stayed at 10%.  I could still access the shares on the drive from my WD Live TV Plus media center and from my various linux and windows computers.

Much to my horror, following a suggestion described previously, power cycling the MyBookLive did succeed in fully bricking the NAS.

On Sunday, March 18th, I contacted WD Customer Service and requested and paid for a replacement drive through the Advanced RMA process.  The replacement drive arrived via UPS on March 26th.

Corrective Actions:

Warning and disclaimer – This is a final repair / recovery solution and is only meant to describe the process I followed.  I do not recommend this process as an approach for anybody else.  I provide it on an ‘as is basis without any representation as to fitness for any particular purpose’ and disclaim any and all warranty.

If you do not understand any of the terms or procedures that I describe below, be forewarned that attempting to follow them without a clear understanding and level of comfort in your abilities, can and probably will result in a failed recovery and may result in complete destruction of your drive.  Also, be aware that your WD warranty will be comprised.

After doing some extensive research, I came to the conclusion that my only course of action was to extract the physical 2 TB drive from the NAS enclosure, attach it to one of my linux boxes and then run a ‘de-bricking’ script to reinstall the 2.10.09-124 firmware.

My rationale was because:

• The MyBookLive 2 TB NAS was configured for DHCP rather than using a fixed IP address
  • I was not certain that I had enabled SSH access (I had)
  • The NAS would not boot which rendered any network access inoperable
  • I have extensive experience with hardware and software

I found a fairly good script with explanatory notes at http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-368098/debricking-script-that-can-keep-data

Thanks to Dan Kvelstad for doing the packaging and making it available.

I copied the script from the referenced post, then saved it as a linux line ending format UTF-8 file as ‘debricker.sh’.

I downloaded the 2.10.09-124 firmware from the WD support site at http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb, then I extracted the .img file from the .deb package as ‘rootfs-021009-124-20111113.img’ using the Gnome File Roller Archive Manager.

With these two files available on my linux box, the 2 TB drive connected to its SATA bus, but unmounted, I ran the debricker.sh script as:

sudo ./debricker.sh /dev/sdb ./rootfs-021009-124-20111113.img

Note:  I did not specify the ‘destroy’ parameter because I needed to recover data from the drive which I was able to do after I placed the 2 TB drive back in the NAS enclosure and re-connected it to my network.

I should also mention that reverting to the 124 firmware version, overwrote the /etc/samba/overall-share file, eliminating my share references.  I rebuilt the file with my share descriptions and all data was again accessible throughout my network.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Ken_Long

Take a look at my post at position 177.  I reverted my firmware from a failed Version 129 upgrade to a functioning Version 124.

Cheers!

Jim

Fraser wrote:

I dont want to be funny, but wouldnt you actually test these flipping updates yourselves on an actual box, I suspect you would have got the problems we all have. What is at fault here is it seems that you have no procedures in place, perhaps this should be implemented too.

• *Yet there’s the rub… We don’t “all have” the problems. My MBL has run trouble free, with the exception of the famed LED issue, since I got it well over a year ago.

I guess not all have the issues, but it seems like quite a few, I am just trying to get them to do more robust testing prior to pushing a firmware update out. Mine is working again, but if I go to the UI it automatically starts the update, which fails every  time, I am now not sure what to do to solve this but as long as my family, 11000 miles away, can get access to the photos and videos then I am not bothered, I will just never be able to go to the UI.