New Release - Firmware Version 2.10.12-129 for My Book Live (3/14/12)

Hi Jakobjb,

You are a star!

Thanks to your info on the change to the hosts file, my UI works brill now and I even had to read up on using thet B…y ‘vi’ editor.

Anyway, I am am now using ver .129, copies to the MyBook seem quite quick as is the UI.

[deleted - violation of respect]

Many thanks again,

Ken

you saved my day. Editing the hosts file was the solution for me. Dashboard UI is now working perfect.

OK, dumb question - where do I find the log file you guys are posting that shows the drive activity, like when the drive enters and exits standby?

rocketscientist wrote:

OK, dumb question - where do I find the log file you guys are posting that shows the drive activity, like when the drive enters and exits standby?

It’s in 

/var/log/messages

Also in /var/user.log

Don’t have a clue why log entries are duplicated.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

rocketscientist wrote:

It’s in 

/var/log/messages

I found that editting the /etc/hosts file did speed up the UI, but it somehow killed Internet access.

After doing the /etc/hosts mod, did you test Internet access using the Settings/Network menu?

BTW, I have set my /etc/hosts  back to the way it was, and the UI is very slow, but it does seem somewhat functional.  And it does pass the Internet access test and can get by the “check for updates” test.  Both of these don’t work if I edit the /etc/hosts file.

Just wondering…

the HumpMan

Tell us what your hosts file is now, with the NAS working and how it was after you changed it.

The default for the curent firmware is . . .

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

. . . the alteration is . . .

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mybooklive

This is assuming you’ve not changed the name of your MBL to anything other than MyBookLive.  The Dashboard UI did make the appropriate changes to the hosts file but with this firmware no changes are applies to the hosts file. I’m guessing W.D’s done this as an workardound preventing the hosts file getting destroyed. A side effect is that the Dashboard UI becomes very slow in operation.

Strangely…  On my own MBL it does not matter if I add my NAS’s name to the hosts file or leave it at the default, it works quickly. Just less errors logged in Apache2’s log files if the name of my MBL is in the hosts file.

I do periodically ask the question why so many people are having problems with their MBLs yet mine’s working fine. Never get an answer or viable suggestions. What I can tell is that now, quite deliberately, I upgrade the firmware from file, but manually copy it to the Public folder and directly invoke the script to initiate the firmware upgrade. I do not want to use the Dashboard UI to perform any firmware upgrades.  Removes three components from the upgrade equation. The web browser, the CakePHP application and the Apache2 web server.

I’ve had a look through the back end of the CakePHP scripts that drive the Dashboard UI.  The back-end looks too complicated for the simple tasks that are performed. The fancy flying graphics look nice but I onlt visit the Dashboard UI a few times between blue moons.

Someone at W.D. has thrown out the baby with the bath water when it comes to the wisdom . . .

“KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID !!”

I personally believe It’s a CakePHP/Apashe2 problem when it comes to upgrading.  I also has the “stuck at 10%” problem, yet bypass the Dashboard UI and the upgrade works absolutely fine.  I think that’s quite a massive hint at where the problem may be hiding.

I’m also guessing with the amount of complaints about the “getting stuck at 10%”, W.D. are trying to defer releasing any firmware updates until they get the major faults fixed.

The correct answer to this question is NO, they have not tested the update.  This is because if you purchase this drive and it is a dud, WD will be happy to replace it with a refurbished drive regardless how long ago you purchased the drive.  I upgraded the firware as soon as I purchased the drive and immediately bricked it.  This company has failed in the customer service arena.  If you have more questions, please contact me via email. 

Myron wrote:

Tell us what your hosts file is now, with the NAS working and how it was after you changed it.

The default for the curent firmware is . . .

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

. . . the alteration is . . .

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost mybooklive

Myron,

The two examples you show are what I have.  When my UI became extremely slow, it was the first example.  I used your help to edit the etc/hosts file to be the second.  This made the UI normal, but then the MBL could not access the Internet anymore.  I tested using either the “check for update” or from the Network option of the Settings menu.

It is totally consistent, in that if I undo the change, the UI becomes slow again, but it then passes the Internet access tests.

I was just wondering if others who made this change see the same thing as I do.

the HumpMan

Ok. I’m now really puzzled.  Mind is thinking . . . “What is the difference between your MBL and my MBL?”

Mine had the /etc/hosts file correction yet the Internet test passes as “Good” and when I go an firmware check it tells me that the firmware is up-to-date.

Unless…  I changed the name of my MBL from MyBookLive to NAS so the the first line of the hosts file on my MBL reads . . .

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost nas

Myron wrote:

Ok. I’m now really puzzled.  Mind is thinking . . . “What is the difference between your MBL and my MBL?”

Mine had the /etc/hosts file correction yet the Internet test passes as “Good” and when I go an firmware check it tells me that the firmware is up-to-date.

Unless…  I changed the name of my MBL from MyBookLive to NAS so the the first line of the hosts file on my MBL reads . . .

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost nas

I don’t know what causes my MBL to behave the way it does.

I believe I tested it at least twice and I tried rebooting the MBL with the /etc/hosts file edited.

It  has been very consisttent at least.  The change to the file restores the responsiveness of the UI, but causes Internet access to fail.  Changing it back causes a very slow UI, but if you wait long enough, and no timeout error occurs, the Internet access test passes.  File access has been pretty much the same, although sometimes the first access will take what seems to be a little bit longer than it used to.

Even though I now always do the update from a local file (downloaded first) I am wondering if it will work with the failed Internet access.  Or will the slow UI cause a problem?

Very curious, indeed.

the HumpMan

What’s even more curious.  If I revert the hosts file back to as set buy W.D’s update, the UI on my MBL does NOT slow down!

Have you statically set the MBL’s IP or is it getting it’s IP from the router’s DHCP service?  I’ve reserved an IP for my MBL on the router and set it to pick-up the IP from the router.

I have not tried fixing the IP address of the MBL.  I have been letting it get it’s IP from the router via DHCP.

While I realize this could affect a lot of things, the IP address seems to be staying the same.

the HumpMan

Well got my replacement of a replacement; did the ssh, copied my 220+ gig media/files to the replacement.  The “new” MBL came with the 2.10.12-129 firmware.

Now the problem: cannot ssh to the MBL even after a reboot of the MBL.

Just thinking.  The dashboard should have an item along with the ftp setting that will provide the enable/disable of the ssh paramenter.  Easier for one to change and/or double-check.

I’m unable to go to the mybooklive/UI/ssh page as it doesn’t exist.

Error code is 10061 claiming the server is unavailable.

Will be sending the old drive back tommorow & wait for the April firmware to fix  “most” (?) things?

Sounds like there a lot of issues with this update. My drive is a replacement for a drive that would blink and the taskbar icon would say hot. I got my new drive and it worked fine, after i got the data moved, I got a message saying new firmware available. I installed, and it took over an hour, finally it said rebooting, and got stuck rebooting. After several hours of rebooting I pulled the power cord and did a power cycle, it booted up and now the green light blinks all the time. Somtimes the taskbar icon says temp unknown and sometimes it says temp OK, but the light continues to blink no matter what I do. The only way to stop the light from blinking is to pull the power cord.

Just updated firmware and now UI is bricked. I dont have ssh or ftp turned on so cant do the firmware again manually. I can still access files but thats it.

THIS FIRMWARE REVISION IS STUFFED (for a better word)!! I HOPE WD IS GOING TO FIX THIS ISSUE SOON. AND I HOPE THEY WILL GIVE ME A WORKING SOLUTION TO FIRMWARE MY DEVICE!!!

VERY VERY ANGRY!!! FFS…

This is in reply to the issue of difference in speed discussed above.

I would check the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.  The “hosts” line tells it to use either “files” (which is /etc/hosts) or “dns” to resolve the hostname.

It should in most cases read like this:       hosts:      files dns

This way it checks the /etc/hosts file first.

I just received the 2TB MBL from Dell.  The first thing I did was change the admin password, edited the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and changed “PermitRootLogin”  from  no  to  yes.

D/L’d the firmware to my pc, scp’d it over to MBL, ran it manually, cleaned up the hosts file (added MyBookLive to the end of the line) and ‘init 6’  to reboot it.

All came up well, I still have ssh to root access and see no other issues at this time.

Seems to be sleeping properly and rotating log files so /var/log doesn’t fill.

Access to the dashboard is fairly speedy as well.

Well, mine is now working, my UI magically came back to me wihtout automatically going to the 10% saga. What I did this time was to manually download the file and install the update this way, rather than through the web, it took 2-3 minutes and all installed fine. The UI is slow as heck, but looking through this it will clear itself in a day, I will look forward to that!

I t suggest for anyone that is installing these firmware updates that they just download the file seperately and install it from the “update from file” option and not install it with the “check for update” button

I certainly agree that I have had better success in downloading the update file first and then doing the update from that file rather than having it downloaded on-the-fly.

However, I did this 2 weeks ago, and although the UI is functional, it has never gotten back to normal speed.

If I make the /etc/hosts file mod, it speeds up a lot, but I don’t seem to have Internet access.

I just tested it again today after verifying the contents of the /etc/hosts file and the  /etc/nsswitch.conf   file listed a couple of posts ago. Both seemed to be as described.  (I currently do not have the name of my MBL on the first name of the /etc/hosts file.)

The Dashboard was still functional, but still very slow.  Internet Access passed, however and was “good.”

the HumpMan