New Release - Firmware Version 2.10.12-129 for My Book Live (3/14/12)

seems to be a ton of negative experiences lately with the latest firmware for this drive … i have a 2TB MBL and am planning on getting the 3TB MBL to add to my network. what is the latest update for the 3TB MBL, and is it as stable as 02.10.09-124 on the 2TB MBL ? why hasn’t WD addressed the problems with an additional update since 2.10.12-129 ?

^^ Becuase to them, nothing is wrong. We just updated using an unstable network (according to the guy I talked to on the phone).

Just like to check if the Alert is working fine. I updated to the latest firmware and rebooted the drive but was not emailed about the device being rebooted.

Tried to delete my own email, add back and save with test mail. Received an email. 

Any idea? :slight_smile:

Thank you greatly for this post!  I was having the same 10% upgrade issue (waitied almost 2 hours), and was about to reboot when I found this thread and saw that poeple were bricking these by doing so… didn’t realize i could restart the dl by just reclicking the link in the UI… when i saw this post i tried what you outlined and voila! it worked!

Just wanted to sat thanks for keeping me from brick my WDMBL!!

I suspect WDTony is as frustrated as everyone experiencing issues.

Personally, I accept the idea to release an intrim update to try address the Dashboard UI bricking issuefirst before releasing an update to address all the other issues.

What I miss is a boot-loader that can unconditionally replace the operating system partition in case the OS partitioon has become corrupted.  A more functional and user friendly (non-destructive) reset would be awesome.

Like using the reset to button to invoke a procedure that validates the integrity of internal settings and configuration files.  Actually, it would be better to assume ALL the configuration and settings files are corrupt and reconstruct all of them. Also, to house-keep the log files in case a bricking event is caused by a log file that has exploded in size.

I’m not forgetting that some people dive in by SSH and change a lot!  If their MBL gets bricked because of substantial user changes then,well…  “Be it on their own heads.”

I have an RMA pending due to last upgrade, but I was able to get SSH turned on and then went with update -129.  No solution, real spotty performance, but it works…Since the RMA will only give me a unit with the same spotty firmware should I even bother since it’s working and we have SSH available?

How do you know you’ll get the same firmware? I asked the guy on the phone, he said whatever they have on the shelf is what I’ll get.

Personally I’m not having any problems with this version.  Yes I had issues upgrading (hanging on 10%) but once I managed to upgrade things have been fine.  So I guess what I am saying is that I wouldn’t be too scared by a device supplied to you with this version already installed.

What should I do? I’m stuck at 10% for about 10 hours and didn’t come here until after it had sat here unknowingly that this is a bad firmware. 

What do I do? I don’t know what SSH is or most of this jargon means on this forum.  I’m not that computer literate so please tell me what I need to do?

I’m able to copy & paste my files over to my iMac hard drive but what should I do after they are done copying?

HELP!!!

Stuck at 10% means that the firmware update was not downloaded fully and/or was corrupted during the download to the My Book Live. In the next release we will improve this error checking so that it doesn’t get stuck like you and many others are reporting. In the mean time, you can restart the My Book Live, and try again - or download the firmware and apply the update manually.

It downloaded the firmware pretty quick, its stuck at the “UPDATE FIRMWARE”, Upgrading …10%. 

It says to do  not unplug your device or close this window during the firmware updatge installation. After completing the update, your network drive will reboot automatically. 

Please read my previous note.

How do I restart it?

You have two options : 1) go into the dashboard, the click on settings, then utilities, then reboot. 2) pull the power plug, then wait 5 seconds, and plug it back in.  Option 1 is the preferred method.

I can’t get to the dashboard. as soon as I get in to it…it shows the 10% upgrading process. 

ok - option 2 then.

Goodmorning all.

Yesterday I recieved my MBL and after turning it on and browsing to it, it told me there was an firmware update available.

I thought, well, before I cange other stuff, I will apply the firmware first.

Big mistake. After the update was applied, I can’t connect to the UI anymore.

Browser finds the MBL, but then I get “Operation aborted”.

Reading a lot here about SSH and other things, but I want to know if this can be fixed, or if I need to send it back.

Hope someone can show a light on this issue for me.

Regards, Marcel

If the Dashboard UI is bricked and it won’t un-brick the you don’t have much of an option. You have to send it back and start the RMA process again.  :neutral_face:

WDTony, get the FW team to look VERY closely.  I’ve had to 10% stuck problem when manually updating through the Dashboard UI.  I now send the firmware file to the Public folder and invoke the script to upgrade the firmware from the Linux command prompt and it just seems to work AND the update appears to occur quickly.

See if it’s possible to get a simple TFTP system set-up to firmware update files can be sent-up to the MBL by TFTP and once received, to initiate an update.  Also, the ability to re-generate all the settings and configuration files.

I’m sure you got your eye on the ball…   Literally!   :smiley:

WDTony wrote:

Stuck at 10% means that the firmware update was not downloaded fully and/or was corrupted during the download to the My Book Live. In the next release we will improve this error checking so that it doesn’t get stuck like you and many others are reporting. In the mean time, you can restart the My Book Live, and try again - or download the firmware and apply the update manually.

Why would it get corrupted? It has to do with possibly the previous firmwares updating method or maybe WD’s servers? (my network is rock solid with an epic uptime so it can’t be that.) In any case my RMA drive arrived with 2.02.02-020. I’ll report back when I get refunded by sending back my old one. 

PS Does anyone have a firmware download list? I’d like to jump to 02.10.09-124 because I know that one worked wonders. Currently 2.02.02-020 doesn’t seem to retain a share when I make it.

Update: Doing some URL editing I got:  http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb

I successfully updated by placing the .deb in my //192.168.1.130/Public folder, enabling SSH then using Putty to login and executing /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb

Now I’m on 02.10.09-124 and it’s fast! Much better than both 2.02.02-020 and of course, 2.10.12-129! Now I did get error 30005 while attempting to click on the Users or Shares tab, but a factory restore then unplug-plug back in seemed to fix it. I will probably remain on my current firmware until the lifespan of the drive is up.