New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

Device reboots when playing music after Firmware Upgrade 1.07.15

To Whom it May Concern:

- What hardware and media were you using?

• WD TV Live
  • WD My Book Live 2TB Network Storage Device (NAS) running Twonky Media Server 5.1.9
  • MP3 Music Files

- Which firmware?

• WD TV Live - Release 1.07.15 (2/29/2012)
  • WD My Book Live NAS - Release 02.10.09-124

- Device Setup:

• Music Playback Mode - REPEAT AND SHUFFLE

- What happened?
    Device reboots while listening to MP3 music files.

- What were you doing?
    After starting playback of MP3 files, I did nothing.

- Does this happen every time?
    Yes.

- Did this happen with previous firmware?
    No. This was never a problem with any of the prior versions.

- Does power cycling the unit solve this?
    No.

- Does resetting to factory defaults solve this?

• Not sure exactly how to do this and what settings I will lose if I do.
  • Will I have to redo the numerous firmware updates again after resetting to factory default?

- Have you tried this on other devices?
Yes.  I also have a WD TV Live Hub - Release 3.03.13 (2/29/2012) that suffers from exactly the same problems. With the previous firmware, the WD TV Live Hub device did not have these problems.

- Additional Information:

1. Turn on Device normally.
  2. Browse to Music.
  3. Browse to and select (with the play button) any of the following folders:
  • All Tracks
  • Artist  >  - ALL -
  • Genre/Song  >  ( - ALL - or any Genre)
  1. Music may reboot at this point or may start playing, but after anywhere from 1 to 5 songs the device reboots.  
  • The rebooting issue doesn’t seem to occur under the following conditions:

• When the Playback Mode is not set to REPEAT AND SHUFFLE.

• When playing back a particular folder, artist or album and the number of tracks is relatively small.

I lost huluplus and netflix from the menu. I go south in the winter and this was the only reason why I bought the WD live hub. What is happening

Snobird, that’s because WD implemented an UNDOCUMENTED geolocation on the device and it won’t show the services WD thinks you should not have. Yes, is that absurd.

However, you can fix it by downgrading to previous firmware for Live Hub, by downloading version 3.01.19  from here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

@WDC and @Bill_S :

Isn’t it funny? You put out a new firmware and instead of  " Thank you for fixing that annoying bug so quickly." as it should be, you only get 11 pages (!) of complaints from your users within two (!) days. Doesn’t that make you think??

I need to say this out loud. If you don’t remove this nonsense in a quickly succeeding fw update I’ll sell that thing and move on to Apple TV when they offer 1080p. And: Then I’ll be done with WDC products. 

Please pay attention now! There are reasons why Apple sells so many devices (and many other companies went out of business):

a) They bugfix their sw very, very thorougly.

b) They deliver features that the customers want or not even knew they wanted until they got it.

(PLEASE READ THIS OUT ALOUD: IT IS NOT ABOUT REMOVING FEATURES THAT CUSTOMERS LOVE)

c) They listen to their customers knowing that losing a customer through bad customer service is very, very bad for business.

How about Gapless Audio Playback been promised since WD TV Gen 1 about 3 years ago and still no sign of a features a £20 mp3 player can do.

Apple Fixed this a long time ago

(*sigh*) here we go again…

Still waiting for you to show where WD made any such promise…

Steggl wrote:

@WDC and @Bill_S :

Isn’t it funny? You put out a new firmware and instead of  " Thank you for fixing that annoying bug so quickly." as it should be, you only get 11 pages (!) of complaints from your users within two (!) days. Doesn’t that make you think??

I need to say this out loud. If you don’t remove this nonsense in a quickly succeeding fw update I’ll sell that thing and move on to Apple TV when they offer 1080p. And: Then I’ll be done with WDC products. 

Please pay attention now! There are reasons why Apple sells so many devices (and many other companies went out of business):

a) They bugfix their sw very, very thorougly.

b) They deliver features that the customers want or not even knew they wanted until they got it.

(PLEASE READ THIS OUT ALOUD: IT IS NOT ABOUT REMOVING FEATURES THAT CUSTOMERS LOVE)

c) They listen to their customers knowing that losing a customer through bad customer service is very, very bad for business.

I don’t mean to argue with you, but what does adding a service have to do with whether an issue gets fixed?  They’re separate from each other.  And I’m sure there are times when Apple products have their share of issues, i.e… iPhone 4 antenna issue, Lion?, the exploding batteries on the original iPads iPods.  Nevertheless, if a “major” issue hasn’t been fixed yet, it isn’t because we don’t care about our customers.  We are definitely working to improve the product, but we are also working to fix legitimate issues.

[edit]

Oh, and I don’t know if we’re reading the same 11 pages, but the ones I’m reading aren’t all complaints. 

Owner from UK, can not access Netflix error 502, anyone knows how to fix this without having to downgrade firmware?

Many thanks.

I for one am happy with the update. I live in the US, so I can’t speak to features disappearing that previously worked. But the fact that the issue causing files with similar names to be deleted has been addressed goes a long way for me. Thanks, WD!

1 Like

…I’m sorry, but removing services based on geolocation is A BAD IDEA!!

I live in Denmark - a tiny country like that, is utterly uninteresting for the media indutry and thereby don’t get services like Netflix anytime soon.

A lot of people - me included - buys a device like this in order to be able to use services like Nexflix and BBC iPlayer (with a DNS tweak.) in countries like mine.

My hope, would be that WD listens to what is ment as positive feedback.

The are other products on the marked, that fullfills this basic requirement.

If I have to live with either outdated firmware or a different product, It might be the last.

If a service cannot be provided is some countries, the service provide should filter their customers - not the manufactures.

For WD as a manufacturer to remove services based on geolocation is  A BAD IDEA  !!

BR - Erik

1 Like

I don’t think that WD TV have a choice at all in the matter, certain services are only allowed to be viewed by the specified countries dictated by the service providers themselves, as an example BBC iplayer, it is the BBC that restrict the viewing of the service to other countries not WD.

The problem is that WD even disabled some services in countries where they ARE supported and work with the SMP’s app without the need to use a VPN. The fact that WDC is acting like it knows better where to block an app than the providers of the service themselves is what is irking some people right now.

Take for instance, Latin America. Right now, with the newest firmware, the Netflix app disappears in countries other than Brazil, because the SMP only officially supports the service in that country. But with the previous firmwares, people in those other countries were able to connect to their LOCAL Netflix service; not to the US service, but to their local Latin American Netflix service.

I’m beginning to think that, in the case of Latin America, this has to do with WDC wanting to get rid of their stock of the obsolete player marketed towards Latin America in their website ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320). I really don’t see another reason to do this, if the SMP already works in these countries.

The sad part is that the Latin American version of the player (which is just an altered Gen 2) cannot be found anywhere within its target countries, which means that they’re only losing customers in favor of helping some distributors who aren’t even doing a good job.

nbat58 wrote:

Owner from UK, can not access Netflix error 502, anyone knows how to fix this without having to downgrade firmware?

Many thanks.

I’ve escalated your case.

1 Like

Strider_Nemesis wrote:

The problem is that WD even disabled some services in countries where they ARE supported and work with the SMP’s app without the need to use a VPN. The fact that WDC is acting like it knows better where to block an app than the providers of the service themselves is what is irking some people right now.

Take for instance, Latin America. Right now, with the newest firmware, the Netflix app disappears in countries other than Brazil, because the SMP only officially supports the service in that country. But with the previous firmwares, people in those other countries were able to connect to their LOCAL Netflix service; not to the US service, but to their local Latin American Netflix service.

I’m beginning to think that, in the case of Latin America, this has to do with WDC wanting to get rid of their stock of the obsolete player marketed towards Latin America in their website ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320). I really don’t see another reason to do this, if the SMP already works in these countries.

The sad part is that the Latin American version of the player (which is just an altered Gen 2) cannot be found anywhere within its target countries, which means that they’re only losing customers in favor of helping some distributors who aren’t even doing a good job.

What if it’s just that we’re being required to close up all the holes we may have had in our firmware.   Every business seeks to get rid of all of its stock.  Do you really think making this change is going to help us do that?

1 Like

Mkv films still stuttering slightly on panning scenes - Wish I’d kept the normal (old) WDTV live model which I gave to a friend…:cry:

TV shows still doesnt get sorted correctly. its still sorted e1, e10, e12 …e2, e20, e21 etc etc.

I’m really surprised of the attitude the support staff here have shown here. They seem not to care at all about the complaints the customers have shown.

Every other device out there doesn’t do this kind blocking to their customers, they leave the providers themselves to do the geolocation. So I doubt is something required for them, is something they decided to do, without any consideration on the consequences it would have in their customers.

Bill_S wrote:
What if it’s just that we’re being required to close up all the holes we may have had in our firmware. Every business seeks to get rid of all of its stock. Do you really think making this change is going to help us do that?

I agree that every business seeks to get rid of all its stock, but the problem here is that the obsolete Latin American unit isn’t even available in the countries north of South America, via offline or online retailers. I’ve never been able to find one in Mexico, and I know of a few people who haven’t been able to in other cities within the country or outside the country. That’s why I think this is nonsense from WDC, in case wanting to get rid of the obsolete stock is the reason behind this change.

Of course, I’m just speculating here , and I’m no expert in the subject. I’m just expressing my feeling. I’m not mad or anything, as WDC hasn’t broken any promises. They were very clear by saying that Netflix is only supported in Brazil within Latin America; however, if it works natively (i.e., no VPN, proxy, etc.) outside of Brazil too, I don’t think that it is wise to block it just because.

Something curious: if you use a Mexican proxy to get into the Mexican Netflix website, and then click on the link at the bottom to view the supported devices, you’ll notice that if you hover over the “Other Players” section, the WD logo will appear, and if you click on it, it’ll redirect you to the SMP’s product website, not the Latin American player’s website. I guess Netflix Mexico is about to get a lot of heat from its subscribers for this once they install the newest firmware.

@pulsorock

As far as I know, only Bill_S officially represents WDC in this thread.

Thank you Bill_S.