New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

TonyPh12345, the fact is that Netflix DOES work on other places (including Latin America) where I believe that other user is from.

And that’s the problem, just because WD thinks your’re not elegible to access the service is just not fair to their customers. They should leave the geolocation to the services apps, noty the device. This is how is done with every other similar devices, we have no idea why WD has to change that.

By the way TonyPh12345, you can check on the Netflix website…

“Quick fix… I had Netflix in favorites in 1.06.4… I upgraded to 1.07.15… It’s not in Services put it is Favorites when i press down on remote… and it works with DNS work-around… it loads up in about 45 seconds”

Well, guess what will happen with the next fw update?

The currently unresolved big bugs will still be there, we will get two more completely unintersting services of the likes of the MLB, the users who need 6TB of NAS storage space for their “family videos” and “safety copies” of their 2300+ BR discs will get a few extras and your favorite will be gone :dizzy_face: Souds like an idea to me to promote their hdd products by encouraging people to dl "safety copies’…

@WD: Whoever came up with that idea at your company should seriously consider changing careers.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Benedetti wrote:

Can YOU show me where it is written?

Sure.  It’s all over the WD website; and the last I looked, it’s also all on the box.  Next to the NetFlix and BlockBuster logos it says “US ONLY.”

But NetFlix is NOT “US ONLY.”  Oops!  Maybe the box isn’t accurate after all.  And I would argue that since NetFlix is offered outside of the US, and WD ships different hardware revisions to different markets, then it’s a bit dishonest for WD to even promote NetFlix on the retail box in markets where they are disabling NetFlix.

TonyPh12345 wrote:  

It also says it in the User Manual…in no fewer than THREE PLACES.

For example, go here:   http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Click “Online Services”

Select your country. 

Oh, wait.  Your country isn’t listed.   Hmmm.

Yep, so now the user manual isn’t necessarily an accurate guide, either.  But does WD expect consumers to look up the user manual on their mobile device in the middle of a retail outlet to figure out which services pictured on the retail packaging actually work in their market?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok, so click “All Services.”

Select NetFlix.

It says “US, Canada, and Brazil Only.”

Your country isn’t listed.  NetFlix doesn’t work in your country with the SMP.

Again, that is asking quite a lot from retail shoppers to do that kind of digging.  And who knows if that can even be relied upon as accurate, or how long it might remain so, since WD keeps shuffling things without warning.

It’s no wonder why so many people are confused.  Do we really have to act as WD apologists and constantly blame the customer?  Why not exect more from WD?  Perhaps they should be more honest and make it simple and list only those services which are intended to work in that market for the hardware revision inside the box.

Just adding my voice to the folks who are less than impressed with this update and geographical location function. I have been recommending the WD live streaming box to folks looking to access Netflix and iPlayer but will no longer do this now.

I have rolled back to the previous firmware and all is good again, but I don’t think WD are doing themselves any favors by stopping folks watching services that they have signed up for and have been watching previously.

Agreed. I eagerly await the new Apple TV despite only buying this recently. For now the favourites workaround allows me to etch Netflix and iplayer. Have to say though, the WDTV does work well for me aside from this latest issue.

So, umm.  Is there any reason to allow the update to happen?  Does the new firmware do ANYTHING that I might want?

@Steggl

Have you tried VPIN’ing a laptop, and then using ICS and an Ethernet crossover cable (from the laptop to the SMP) to give Internet access to the SMP?

Also, the “adding Netflix to Favorites” solution will work, but only until you have to reset the device for whatever reason.

Well WD,

I live in Puerto Rico which is a US Territory, Netflix is LEGALLY availablehere , the box sold here by WD  is the US model, so how are you going to proceed. Eagerly awaiting your reply!

Can i use this firmware for WD TV Live Media Player (first generation) ?

if not , isnt there any new firmware?

Soroush,

No, you can’t use this firmware on older generation models, this only works for the WD live SMP 3rd Gen, there are no newer updates for your first generation device.

“Have you tried VPIN’ing a laptop, and then using ICS and an Ethernet crossover cable (from the laptop to the SMP) to give Internet access to the SMP?” Still working on it but have a boatload of problems (old batteries in the Notebook, old 3945abg nic, etc.) … unfortunately. If I finally get it to work, I’ll let you know. Did anyone else have some luck?

Another random thing. With any build higher than 1.4.12 it seems the box starts broadcasting like crazy over the network.

I’m using LAN but checking DD-WRT Bandwidth Monitor on WL0 (2.4Ghz) shows it getting a constant stream of incoming information even though i’ve never input the SSID/WPA2 passwords. Checking on my switch shows line activity for anything that’s turned on, active or not. I’ll pull the cable for the WDTV and all line noise stops (excepting WIFI of-course).

Does anyone else have their switch (router) LEDs going crazy when this build or anything newer than the 1.4 build? I’m on that one now and the network LED in my Xbox and WHS 2011 boxes are quiet but as soon as I upgrade they start blinking like crazy!!!

@Steggl

Also, according to Bill_S, you need to reset the device to retrigger the geolocation check. This also happens when you initially apply the firmware upgrade. You probably already knew this, though; but, just in case.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Benedetti wrote:

Netflix is also legal to use in my country, Costa Rica, i did a rollback and the Netflix app came back… I will not install any new firmware until WD confirms that this will not happend again… I’m Not happy with WD right now.

Why do you insist on blaming WD for this?

Nowhere on WD’s website does it say the SMP works with Costa Rica.

YOU made a mistake.   YOU made the assumption that it “Should” work, yet YOU blame WD…

You can hold your breath; WD has already told you what countries are supported via NetFlix on the SMP… 

You need to read better.

TonyPh12345 why are you helping WD? We all agree that WD doesn’t do support very well. Upgrade after upgrade, nothing main get fixed, but some waste items are put in there… but who cares? I think They better provide the first firmware so that everyone can rollback to that one, and they can close down the department.

Hello wwywong

I  did the rollback, the box is fine now… I strongly recommend to all those who have this problem to do the same.

Already installed Firmware version 1.07.15.

No Netflix, no Huluplus, no Pandora. What to do to get them back or how to reinstall the previous version on the WD BHG70000 model?

Colon, the same happened to me… I fixed it by downloading firmware 1.06.04 from here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/

I would also like to note that when you read the release notes (and I did, before installing the update) there is no mention of this new “feature” that disables services to users because of geolocation on the device.

And to me that is misleading the users to do something that it will affect them.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

What’s in this update? Release 1.07.15 (2/29/2012)

* Supports Skitter TV internet television service

* Supports MLB.TV

* Resolved Get Content Info conflict caused by folders with similar names.

* Resolved mp4 video freezing, audio sync and “Unsupported Message” issues.

* Resolved unable to play MOV videos.

* Resolved MKV video with FLAC audio does not play audio issue.

* Resolved Vorbis audio in MKV container audio spikes during playback issue.

* Resolved remote shortcut keys conflict with the onscreen keyboard during search.

* Resolved movie thumbnail extremely grainy and pixilated.

* Resolved rescan media library after every reboot.

* Resolved BBC radio mute function does not un-mute issue.

* Resolved rescan Get Content Info does not refresh thumbnail issue.

* Resolved movie backdrops do not display without network connection or after network disruption.

* Resolved several Spotify user interface and translation issues.

* Resolved Spotify popping and glitching sounds when skipping tracks issue.

* Resolved Spotify tracks do not play when sharing playlist.

* Resolved Yota Music intermittently hangs issue.

* Resolved YouTube Leanback rebooting issue.

* Resolved PlayJam unable to un-mute issue.

* Resolved WPS Network setup completed message looping.

* Resolved ComedyTime Pause and Play will not work after FFW or RWD several times.

* Resolved several language translation issues.

* -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* General info:

* Blockbuster video download service will no longer be supported on the WD TV as of 3/31/2012. You will still be able to watch your purchased videos.

* Mediafly will no longer be supported as of 3/31/2012.

Agreed Pulsorock…