New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

Like everyone else, I have suffered in frustration with the 1.06.15 firmware and all its bugs for weeks. I finally had enough and rolled back to 1.05.04 using the method mentioned previously in this thread (via the WD  knowledgebase instructions). The results are stunning - everything is just so fast compared to before - it feels like I have a new machine! However, there is one annoyance, which is that each time I turn the machine on, it searches for and finds new firmware, then automatically flicks me out of what I am trying to do and into the update screen. Is there any way I can turn this “feature” off?

SoNic wrote:

Azumi wrote:

• Match Framerate “ON” doesnt works anymore. Off or on doesnt affects on any Video / MKV / AVI / Mp4 / WMV

• Every PAL Video is played with 60 HZ and 720p ( tested with LG LE5300 TV ) instead of 50HZ having all settings to Auto / MF ON

no Matter if Source is 1080 or any other Resolution.

That’s OK since there are very little native 50Hz movies. The problem is with the 24Hz ones. All the movies (even ones in EU) are recorder first in that framerate and the bluray standard accepts that framerate on discs.

50Hz is just a BBC bull…

Thx but i do not agree with that its only a few.

I live in Europe and every TV Broadcast in SD & PAL here is 50 HZ / 25 Frames

So  every PAL Video i do now play plays in wrong Framerate and wrong HZ which looks horrible stutterly.

:wink:

I too have reverted back to the previous release which works well enough for me.  I too don’t care about games and wish the developers would focus on the MEDIA playing capabilities of this box!!!  Focus on the current capabilities and known issues before introducing things that people did not buy the box for.

I am a firmware developer with 15 years of experience.  Yes, bugs happen.  However, there appears to be a severe lack of QA testing being done.  Every major release should go through a proper regression test to make sure nothing broke.  This release making it to market indicates a severe problem somewhere in their process.  I will not upgrade to future releases anymore unless there is a compelling reason to do so.  Most importantly the feedback on this forum.  Unfortunately it seems WD is using the general public as a testing resource.  Not good.

So I’m a little disappointed - but hopeful WD can address their problems and create a stable release that fully supports all of the features it should as well as it can.

And I too would like to know if I can power up my player and not have it go to the firmware update screen.  I don’t trust my wife and kids NOT to do this!

Thanks.

@Oggle: I totally agree with you. This last firmware is no more than a hasty and buggy alpha version. I’m very disappointed. :angry:

Can anyone offer me ANY assistance at all?

bubbabyte wrote:

Can anyone offer me ANY assistance at all?

Rolling back to an older firmware should completely remove any problems with the new firmware if you do all the recommended resets that you should do with any firmware change:

1. reset via the side paperclip button with unit on (about 4 seconds … needs to be more than 1 but less than 10 seconds) 

2. reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

3. unplug from power for some minutes (not seconds)

Do all 3 before using the unit.

If though you have any concern that running in the new firmware has “done something” to the content on your hard drive that may affect the older firmware too (who can say this is impossible, right?) then try disconnecting it and put the movie that’s giving trouble on a USB stick instead.  Also, maybe deleting the “.wd_tv” folder on the drive and getting the device to re-create it might help?  You probably should research that idea in this forum before you do it though.

I would recommend rolling back to 1.04.22, there were some minor annoying problems with 1.04.31 (didn’t affect everyone though).

Good luck!

Oggle wrote:> …And I too would like to know if I can power up my player and not have it go to the firmware update screen.  I don’t trust my wife and kids NOT to do this!

Block your WDTV from accessing support.wdc.com. No more firmware notifications…

Thats exactly what I did after rolling back the firmware.

I use router setting to block access to WDTV MAC Address.

Poor Quality Assurance  at WD.

Ok i’m trying your suggestions now, the reset on the side didn’t really show anything on the screen, not sure if it’s supposed to or not, but i held it in for about 8 seconds.  Trying other steps now too.  Issue was never with an external drive or thumb drive, it was always with watching videos (any format) over lan, either through network share or using tversity… both had the same results where the video would still be playing, but the timer would appear on the screen… BUt i’ll try these steps and report back.  But i can’t thank you enough for trying to help me… you are the one and only person on both forums i visited that actually had some advice and i greatly appreciate it.

Ok did all the steps discussed, running 1.0.6 now, network shares is working fine for now, no issues like before.  But apparently 1.0.6 broke tversity streaming… as per other WDTV forums discussions, seems tversity is no longer working for everyone who is using 1.0.6.  :(

Not sure which version you mean - you’re running 1.06.15 again, and have found it’s improved since doing all the resets, right?> I seem to remember this firmware introduced some DLNA bugs preventing TVersity interoperability, though someone posted a TVersity config hack that solves it.  I don’t know any more as I don’t use TVersity - I hope the hack works for you.> * * *
bubbabyte wrote:

Ok did all the steps discussed, running 1.0.6 now, network shares is working fine for now, no issues like before.  But apparently 1.0.6 broke tversity streaming… as per other WDTV forums discussions, seems tversity is no longer working for everyone who is using 1.0.6.  :(

skinsman wrote:

Not sure which version you mean - you’re running 1.06.15 again, and have found it’s improved since doing all the resets, right?> I seem to remember this firmware introduced some DLNA bugs preventing TVersity interoperability, though someone posted a TVersity config hack that solves it.  I don’t know any more as I don’t use TVersity - I hope the hack works for you.> * * *
bubbabyte wrote:

For me Tversity works

With new updates, I cant control [cant stop, ff, or back] my player with remote control once its in playmode. I have to stop it with power off.

Join the club… Try to downgrade your firmware to your previous version. If that doesn’t work (because it didn’t for me…) try the oldest firmware - 1.02.21. That was the only one that worked. I love my Live but it really seems that WD are just toying with their customers. Good luck. Send some news.

Как я понял ,Вы - русский.

Мои проблемы с ПО 1.06.15 -

1. Медленно определяются USB устройства

2. Звук после включения видеовоспроизведения и после паузы долго не появляется

3. Внешний USB/eSATA винчестер 2Тб при первом включении на этом ПО пытался определится и заглох, при повторных запусках больше и не пытался. После подключения к компу по USB винчестер определился как не отформатированный. При подключении по eSATA , запустился chkdisk ,все исправил и винт заработал.

После подключения к WD TV Live все повторилось.

Заменил ПО на версию 1.05.04. Проблемы по по всем пунктам исчезли.

Slava, speak english???

I can speak Eanglish not so well and my replay was send to Anton beacause i understood he is Russian/

Ok, nothing personal Slava. It’s just that even if our english isn’t perfect we’re here to help each other. Sometimes you may answer or ask to help someone you know or yourself. But later, those same posts can help other users. Even with your not so good english, I’m sure we can all get along fine. Greetings to Russia from Portugal! :slight_smile:

i’ve been experiencing a lot of freezing on the system since the latest firmware was applied.  it happed three times already on watching movies from my NAS, scrolling my movie files and exiting one of the internet media application.

I have also noticed that I now no longer can access some of my folders from my media folder, I can access some but not all.  I was able to do so before.  They are jpeg files that is shared through win7.

Another one that joins the club of those who are completely f… with the new 1.06.15 firmware…