New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.04 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/10/12)

Hi.

Does anyone know if WDC is going to provide 5GHz wi-fi support in future?

I mean even 5GHz adaptor support would be nice for 2-band router owners.

Do not even bother updating WDTV players firmware. I own WDTV players for quite a while. If you value its media player capabilities - It is always downhill road with new firmware releases. First time I tried WDTV Live streaming - it started ok, then I loaded FW upgrade - that was the end for the road for me - returned it back immediately. Second time around I tried it, I decided not to upgrade FW and new came with FW.1.01.xx version. It works pretty good, I did not have any issue to play any movie file type on it. I disabled WD update site, so player does not bug me with discussing new FW upgrades. Good luckā€¦

I donā€™t know what everyoneā€™s problem with the new firmware is, I updated shortly after Iā€™ve gotten mine and havenā€™t had a single problem

I depends what folks are using player for primarily. I am using it to play from network share (wired) some old avi, and HD rips (full ro lightly compressed) in mkv, m2ts, ts, mpg, This is where thing get uglier with every new release. Audio, would not switch correctly, freezes and etc. Folks who mostly using it for netflix and other online junk may like it very much, but there is so many alternatives for this functionality. No much choices for HD playback.

I play all my hd videos off my usb hdd, no streaming, and couldnā€™t be happier :slight_smile:

Good for you! I am happy with initial FW.1.0.43 versionā€¦

Other than the audio bug that has since been fixed, Iā€™ve never had issues with Bluray rips over my networkā€¦

Sorry to hear about audio bug that was fixed. All I am saying - I did not have any audio or other bugs since day one. My mistake was to allow unit to upgrade FW. Once you do, there is no way to roll back to initial FW version, as it was never released to public. The only way is to exchange the unit. All of the bugs were introduced later with FW updates. No reason for chasing these junky FW updates for me and may be for others too.

One thing still not working with the player. The videos what the Panasonic WDCxxxx digital cameras created with 50 fps goes to silent after a 15-20 second. First the sound will be late, and after a time the film will be silent. You have to stop and continue the video to hear again the sound for a few secound.

Strange!

kgiga wrote:

One thing still not working with the player. The videos what the Panasonic WDCxxxx digital cameras created with 50 fps goes to silent after a 15-20 second. First the sound will be late, and after a time the film will be silent. You have to stop and continue the video to hear again the sound for a few secound.

Strange!

Start a new thread and put up the mediainfo of a file which has this problem.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

wdtv101 wrote:
My mistake was to allow unit to upgrade FW. Once you do, there is no way to roll back to initial FW version, as it was never released to public. The only way is to exchange the unit.

Says who? You can go to the official page and replace the firmware link with an old version and download it. If you did so from the beginning you could have saved all ļ»æļ»æofficial firmwares 1.03.10, 1.04.12, 1.05.18, 1.06.04. Allegedly thereā€™s a problem when rolling back to 1.03.10 but I did it without bricking my player.

@Techflaws

wdtv101 is talking about the initial firmware 1.01.43 and thereā€™s noway to rollback to this firmware. Or do you know where we can download firmware 1.01.43?Ā 

Ironically, WDTV made a mistake by releasing ā€œHD media playerā€ that actually works. WDTV did this type of mistakes a few times in the last 5 years (very rare occurrence, but all WDLXTV firmware releases are based on relatively functional FW). So next thing they do - fool owner into FW upgrade. After this, it is business as usual: waiting for major playback flaws to be fixed (that would never be addressed), but only minor thing are corrected (nobody cares of) and more online junk is added. It seems all new features are coming at expense of HD playback functionality (trimming buffers, shrinking decoder logic). At the end, you will end up with fully dysfunctional player and ready to shop for new modelā€¦ I am sure they fixed a few things overall in FW updates, but one thing for sure, WDTV broke playback functionality as first order of business with FW update. I will buy one more unit and disable FW update on it right away. Thanks, but No thanks WDTV!

I thought it was released with 1.03.10 initially. Are you positive this firmware is worse than the initial firmware release?

Some of the early shipments had 1.01.xx. Ā  Then out of the box, it had two firmware updates ā€” One to an ā€œintermediateā€ release, probably to re-map flash, then an update to 1.03.10.

Despite the warning I did rollback to 1.03.10 and since have no problems at all with video and/or audio. These problems started from release 1.04.12 and later. When they started to implement these commercial sh*t. If you look at the issue section youā€™ll see how long it takes for WD even to take a look at the reported audio/video problems. And when they fix a videoproblem an audio problem occurs and vice versa. I think WD should go back to the drawingtable and create a firmware where all supported audio and videocodecs are propperly implemented.

Initial or whatever it is (v:1.01.43) works great for me (NAS + wired Gb network). I did not notice any issue with video/audio playback. And it is rock solid performer - not a single glitch in operation and I am beating ti pretty hard with testing. I could not comment on 1.03.10. About 3 month ago, I tried WDTV Live Streaming player and let it upgrade firmware (I do not recall what version it upgraded to), but it basically nuked video/audio playback. The decision to return was instant. I bought one yesterday and one today form BB and both had FW .1.01.43. This time I did not update FW and tested player with original FW. To may total surprise - it worked flawlessly. It seems WD could not stand perfectly working player, so they ā€œcompromisedā€ it on next FW update. Note, when I refer to it as player and its functionality - I mean only one thing - ts,m2ts,mkv,avi,mpg playback from NAS share over wired Gb network. I do not refer to any online/web junk as I am not interested in it at all.

wdtv101 wrote:
Initial or whatever it is (v:1.01.43) works great for me (NAS + wired Gb network). I did not notice any issue with video/audio playback. And it is rock solid performer - not a single glitch in operation and I am beating ti pretty hard with testing ā€¦ it worked flawlessly. It seems WD could not stand perfectly working player, 

Then you have a bizarre definition of ā€œFlawlessā€, ā€œperfect,ā€ and ā€œnot a single glitchā€¦ā€

Gallery view navigation hangs every time you try to scroll.

Using high definition JPG backdrops (anything larger than 720p) would crash the box when playing ISOs.

Gallery view backdrops didnā€™t work at ALL with NFS shares.

Page advances in GRID views would take a long time.

Frequent ā€œLast Content Source has Been Removedā€ errors

ā€¦  this is just a handful of the bugs I remember in that versionā€¦

wdtv101, you are so right. Thatā€™s exactly what iā€™m thinking.Ā 

WDC, I hope that You are paying attention to this. It is obvious that you are doing something wrong and You need to fix this, now - or at least tell us that You are working your butts off to fix it. **bleep** it, You are so close to having the best and cheapest mediaplayer on the marked. Why do you keep screwing it up? This is my third WD TV. I honestly feel like a **bleep** fool for getting this faulty SMP.

All items you mentioned are superstitious from my prospective. I am fine with list view (2 columns). Playback is what I care. How thing looks in between is irrelevant to me. I havo too many items to even consider anything but list view to navigate. Proper playback is most critical to me. I guess you could take it as my definition of flawless, perfect or awesome and etc.