New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.04 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/10/12)

Paging in list view is very quick and I do not use iso. Enjoy gallery views for a few seconds and hours of crippled playback on your newer FW version!

Frequent ā€œLast Content Source has Been Removedā€ errors I think I took care of those errors with Static IP config. WDTV players are suckers @ DHCP.

Well, I figured out how to downgrade to ver. 1.03.10.

Exactly the same suckage with hd mkv playback as in this current ver. 1.06.04.

• Stutters and freezes when streaming from network shares, happens when variable bitrate peaks to a certain level

• Manages to play files when streaming from media server (in this case TVersity, with no transcoding)

• In both cases there are occasional frame drops in 23.98fps material

• 24fps files are choppy

So, dear WDC, why donā€™t You go back to the good old WD TV Live ver. 1.02.21 - back when hd network streaming actually worked. Fish out the good parts, add auto framerate video mode, fix some mp4 stuff, and we are good to go?

ā€¦or make everything available to the skilled modding community out there. Iā€™m sure they could fix it. Just give them a couple of days.

@ā€œSo, dear WDC, why donā€™t You go back to the good old WD TV Live ver. 1.02.21 - back when hd network streaming actually worked. Fish out the good parts, add auto framerate video mode, fix some mp4 stuff, and we are good to go?ā€ I am impressed, some folks still remember this version. This is indeed version that plays video correctly. I am not touching 24p, just use default 1080p60. Even Dune-HD has issue with it (audio out of sync in mkv). I could see that even dune-hd hacked m2ts 24p playback, but it is still a hack - try to adjust audio delay and you will realize it was just rigged as it will mess audio completely. Besides, I just could not see any difference in video playback between 24p and 60p both look and feel similar. If you still have packaging you may exchange or you can try a new one with original FW and see if it works for you. If it does, you just need to figure out how to do the ā€œswapā€. I hear you, but they do not. I do not really understand why is it happening? Why fixing backdrop in view mode affect payer binary logic and functionality? But I will choose proper playback over any other issues, as you can not work around it, everything else (external) is possible to adjust most of the time.

As an experiment, I got one extra unit and upgraded FW to latest 1.06.04. I did not notice much of the difference. MKV are still out of sync in 24p (across the board for all Sigma based players). Some glitches with subtitles (turned on initial resume playback, but should be off) after Video->HDMI->framerate match changes. Audio may continue to play for a split second after playback is stopped. I noticed accuweather app is oversized now, so there is no way to see all 7 days forecast, only 3 days at the time, but none of this online stuff really important to me, so WD could brake all online app and I would not care much. I did not notice any improvements in HD playback, FW v.1.01.43 does it the same and may be even marginally better. What I noticed, right after upgrade the player froze for about a minute and did not respond to any input from remote. I almost felt vindicated, but it managed to pull itself into operational state. One thing for sure WD fixed TrueHD and audio switching functionality, but again - it was all working in FW 1.01.43. Kudos for breaking it and then fixing it, so it works exactly as is used to work. Overall, I am surprised WD fixed some major playback issue they introduced with earlier FW update - it is very unusual.

The ā€œsubtitles onā€ situation is almost corrected in 1.06.04. It only fails after Video mode changes. Regarding mkv shuttering - I have not noticed any on 1.01.43 or 1.06.04. But I would never use mkv to carry a full definition BD rip - it is not as mature yet and I have not seen any player that would play it without issues. m2ts is designed for this, so I use it for BD rips along with removing any audio and subtitles I do not need. It seems that 1.06.04 is FW we could fall back to if WD breaks something again in the future. After a while, if testing goes well, I would upgrade all my players to 1.06.04 version, but for now they would stay on 1.01.43. I am playing from SMB shares, as NFS shows the files, but I never managed to play any movies - it just hangs in black screen, until I power down unit with press+hold power button on the remote. Good luck. PS, ā€œworking flawlessā€ in media players is very narrow term. One step away and it turns to ā€œnot working at allā€, fuguresā€¦

wdtv101 wrote:
But I would never use mkv to carry a full definition BD rip - it is not as mature yet and I have not seen any player that would play it without issues.

Is that so? Cause I use MKV exclusively for my own untouched BD rips and they play without issues on the LIVE SMP and old LIVE (except PGS subs).

Tech Flaws wrote:

Is that so? Cause I use MKV exclusively for my own untouched BD rips and they play without issues on the LIVE SMP and old LIVE (except PGS subs).

Good! But I would not do it this way. For me it is m2ts. Besides, what is this whinnig about MKV playback all over the forum? I do not have any issues with mkv.

BTW, I found the playback functionality for m2ts, mkv, ts, avi, mpg in FW 1.06.04 is exactyl as it used to be in v.1.01.43 even small bugs in subtitles. I think it is a mute point as folks just upgrade right away with out any thoughts - they may got into trouble because of upgrade(s). It seems WD managed to hold customers ā€œhostageā€ for over 4 month before resolving playback issue back to where it was originally. Nice work!

So how come MKVs are not as mature as m2ts when it comes to HD content when you had no problems with MKVs so far?

@So how come MKVs are not as mature as m2ts when it comes to HD content when you had no problems with MKVs so far?

Thisis exactly why, I think, I do do not have any issue with mkv in my collection - I do not use mkv for full BD backups (35-40GB), only for half-rate and more compressed BD rips (6-10GB). It works great so farā€¦

As others noted, FLAC playback chewing on first few seconds of the song on FW 1.06.04.

Yet, it works correctly on initial FW 1.01.43.

After playing with 1.06.04 for a while. i have decided to keep all my units on initial FW v.1.01.43. It works for me and I do not need to wait for anything to be fixed by WD or Sigma. The first batch with this original firmware is running out. Buying online will get you FW v.1.03.10. You can still get it at retail stores Ā like BB in hard to reach areas. Serial # starting with WNC4212ā€¦ WNC42133ā€¦ have original firmware. WNC422ā€¦ would have FW 1.03.10 on it.

Good luck to everyone hoping for next FW update to fix something.

I am ok with what the player was when it was originally released and do not need or expect WD to fix anything. If fact, I do not recall a single instance of WD fixing anything important, as HD player it only get worse with every new FW release.

Cheers!

Does the FW v.1.01.43 streams 1080p mkv or hangs too?

I have no idea what you do with MKV and how you do it. All these little details make huge difference. I posted earlier how I use my players, storage and content. I do not have any problems.

My audio keeps crapping out since the update. Wish I hadnā€™t set it to automatic.

Nemo888 wrote:

My audio keeps crapping out since the update. Wish I hadnā€™t set it to automatic.

There is no automatic update, there is only an automatic new firmware notification. You or somebody pressed a button to update. However you can go back if you use the rollback firmware.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

First I must say that my WD TV Live Streaming box is an amazing small box.

But, yes big but, I did purchased a Network drive (NAS) with UPnP, FTP, Samba and a lot. This box streams from it but it does not do this as it can do directly from USB:

* Does not support any kind of subtitle files to divx, xvid or mkv over NAS

* Does not support the media information feature that I suspect downloads a cover from IMDB and informationĀ  about the movie over NAS.

Isnā€™t NAS more important to support than USB?Ā  Do you plan to support NAS in features like you do with USB drives?

Please let me know, thanks in advance.

roxpace wrote:

But, yes big but, I did purchased a Network drive (NAS) with UPnP, FTP, Samba and a lot. This box streams from it but it does not do this as it can do directly from USB:

* Does not support the media information feature that I suspect downloads a cover from IMDB and information  about the movie over NAS.

Isnā€™t NAS more important to support than USB?  Do you plan to support NAS in features like you do with USB drives?

How are you connecting to your NAS.

Have you got the media libary on.

I can certainly use the Get Info download on to my NAS.

richUK wrote:

roxpace wrote:

* Does not support the media information feature that I suspect downloads a cover from IMDB and information  about the movie over NAS.

Isnā€™t NAS more important to support than USB?  Do you plan to support NAS in features like you do with USB drives?

How are you connecting to your NAS.

Have you got the media libary on.

I can certainly use the Get Info download on to my NAS.

I am connected through UPnP (DLNA) and I have also tried Windows Shares and the same result :(  I have a D-Link DNS-320 network drive (NAS).

But still I can play movies, but no ā€œget infoā€ about movies or seperate subtitle files to movies.

Thatā€™s a limitation of DLNA, not necessarily the WDā€¦